Three Weeks of Isolation

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were to be isolated for more than a couple of days I'd probably turn things over in my head 'til I went insane, played some video games, and worked on some art. I'd never actually try that though, but, then again maybe I'd get some writing done in my novel.

Wow sounds awesome. How exactly do you intend to live off the land? The idea of doing something like this appeals to me, I'd definitely like to learn some more survival skills. The early morning runs through the forest sound super healthy too.

I think if I did this I'd like to use the time to catch up on reading and physical activity mostly.

Just over a week has passed and things have been awesome. I’ve gotten used to the silence, that was bugging me at first but I haven’t spoken aloud (to myself) for a while now and don’t feel the need to play music. I’ve established a routine of running in the forest and lake swimming in the mornings, fishing and forging to supplement supplies then chopping wood and writing in the evenings. Physically I feel better (plus I’ve got a great mountain man look going on) and while I’m behind on e-mails I’ve done a lot of my course work and fine-tuned my book which takes a lot of pressure off. At night I go outside to build a little bonfire, roast a few marshmallows (creature comforts) and either read a book or just sit back and look up at the stars. Times like that make me appreciate how small we are compared to the universe around us, it’s both humbling and intimidating. I wonder how many other people are looking up at the same stars and what their lives are like.

With all this time to think and ponder I’m surprised by what I miss, people and times who I haven’t thought about for decades are suddenly coming back to me but apart from that I don’t miss much else from my ‘normal’ life. A few minutes ago I heard an engine and saw, way in the distance, what looks to be a group of ramblers. I doubt they’ll reach my cottage, it’s far off the beaten path but a little part of me was almost apprehensive of seeing people again like somehow they’re invading my world. I think I could get used to this life, it feels like the world has ended and I’m tucked away from everything and everyone and (as REM said) I feel fine. All my previous problems and worries seem almost trivial now; I’m almost kicking myself for fearing them.

The coast isn’t too far, a few hours walk at most so I may explore there this week and I’m sure I heard about some old ruins in the area that I want to check out too. I can wholeheartedly recommend this if anyone else is thinking of doing the same.

Sounds lovely. :D

I'd love to to take off to a remote cabin and paint for a month, though I know I'd miss my kids terribly. Maybe in a few years when they're both a bit older.

Latest posts

Back