Hi

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just discovered this forum and thought I should join. I'm female, from Europe and nearly 40.

Nearly 40! Those words just send shivers down my spine. I'm nearly 40 and I am typing this in my bedroom, the same bedroom I have had for nearly 40 years.

My life story - I was the tall kid at school, known for being too tall for a girl, who no one liked unless they needed someone to get something off a high shelf. An average student, very polite, but no clue about the world outside school or home. Always wearing the regulation school uniform, and well behaved.

I studied hard, did well at Uni, managed to get a good job, and made plans for my future. This consisted of a little house, with a little garden, and a pet dog.

Then both my parents became ill, one after the other. They both retired early as a result and I helped out financially until their pensions were released. It meant that I never 'left' home. I felt proud at the time, because I was helping my parents. Now I feel like a burden to them.

I am not pretty, as I was frequently told by my classmates and a couple of mean teachers. I thought that by working hard I could carve out a successful career and live a content and independent life. I was happy enough. Some thought I was gay because I believe in gay rights and didnt have a regular boyfriend. Im not bothered if people think I am gay, I am more bothered that being gay is still thought of as an issue.

Nothing I do or am is ever 'right'. I would speak and help anyone when I was at work. I felt that if you work in the same building then you are my colleague and I would automatically 'look out' for you. But other people thought that the cleaning officer was chatting me up, or I was making a play for promotion because I dared to talk to the MD. If I wore flat shoes, I wasnt girly enough. If I wore trousers I was too masculine. If I wore dress, it was suggested that I was trying to impress someone. Cant win. Such a mundane thing, yet even my clothes were not right. Dont let's get started on my well below average looks! Height of a model, looks like the back end of bus after a crash. I would like to think I had a nice personally. Beauty is only skin deep - but it is what many people cant seem to see past me - unless they need something stored on a high shelf.

I was made redundant 2 years ago and have virtually used up all my savings. My parents have been brilliant, but I still feel like a loser. Thankfully they both got better, but instead of enjoying their retirement, they now have me to cope with.

I worked out at an early stage that I wasnt going to have it all. So I figured I'd work towards at good career and I would be happy with that. I am a workaholic and hated it when people would say to me there is more to life than work. For some that may be the case, but not for all, not for me. I loved working, having a reason to get up every morning, being useful to society.

It turns out that I focused everything towards my career, but now Im left with nothing. No career, no future, all my hopes and dreams gone. I didnt mind the fact that I have few friends, no long term relationship or kids, as I had my career. I feel strangely cheated now. As I said I knew I coudnt have it all, I just wanted what I worked for.

My Dad keeps saying that I have my health and 2 parents to support. Neither of them know I have been battling with depression from since I was a teenager. The one thing in my life that made me happy - or at least made life bearable - my work - has gone. So I ask myself what is the point of me? What role do I have? Apart from fetching items from high shelves.

Im nearly 40, no job, no future, no relationship, no kids, not many friends, no hope. Still living with my parents. Oh and I am now overweight, being constantly teased by my Aunts how fat Im becoming living off my parents. The fact that I have refused any financial help from my parents and contribute to the household expenses doesnt seem to make a difference.

I spend my days job searching and selling off my things to make money.

I know in the great scheme of things I do have very little to worry about compared with loads of other people. Knowing that doesnt help when I cry myself to sleep every night, and waking up disappointed, because I woke up.

Well that's my story. Pretty short and very pathetic.

BTW if you know of any jobs, please let me know. I have many qualifications and nearly 4 decades experience of bean pole replacement techniques. I'm particularly skilled in high shelf item retrival.

I know what it's like to have your life put on hold due to unemployment. Welcome to ALL, Nemo.

Hello Nemo, welcome to you. I hope you can find your way to a positive future..

Pezza said:
Welcome to the Forum Nemo :)

Hello Pezza. Nice to meet you. Thank you for your message.

flaneur said:
I know what it's like to have your life put on hold due to unemployment. Welcome to ALL, Nemo.
Hello Flaneur, thanks for the welcome. Sorry to hear that you are in the same boat as me. Hope all is well now or soon.

fox said:
Hello Nemo, welcome to you. I hope you can find your way to a positive future..
Hello Fox, thank you for your kind words.

Hey Nemo, welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear you got layed off, I guess this is why people say there's more to life than work, to try and avoid situations like these. Not that that helps you in any way ofcourse. On the positive side, you've got a lot of experience, a degree and you're still young, maybe there's other jobs out there that have your name all over them! I do hope you'll find one of those soon :)

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy your stay here. Feel free to PM or to join the chat if there's ever something on your mind that you just have to share with someone. In the meantime, do take care. See you around :)

Hi Nemo! Welcome to the site!

Your story was quite interesting (qi if you like that show :D) but also quite touching. I hope ALL can help you find what you're looking for.

On a side note - I always found taller women attractive...it was my understanding that tall women don't like men that are shorter than they are :p. Either way it sounds like you are being too hard on yourself regarding looks. We all are at times, but chances are you are hotter than you make yourself out to be :cool:.

Peter Lorre said:
Hey Nemo, welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry to hear you got layed off, I guess this is why people say there's more to life than work, to try and avoid situations like these. Not that that helps you in any way ofcourse. On the positive side, you've got a lot of experience, a degree and you're still young, maybe there's other jobs out there that have your name all over them! I do hope you'll find one of those soon :)

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy your stay here. Feel free to PM or to join the chat if there's ever something on your mind that you just have to share with someone. In the meantime, do take care. See you around :)

Hello Peter, thanks so much for your reply.

Yes you are right, there is more to life than work, but that is all I wanted from life, as I knew that the 2.4 kids, house in the country and all the other typical stuff was never going to happen. I didnt want to be greedy. I dont live in a 3rd world country, I have a roof over my head, and Im not starving. So reaching for the stars of the 'ideal' life seemed too much to dare hope for. Even now I feel guilty for moaning about this.

The irony is that I feel very alone, but I operate best on my own. I am always feel the odd one out, the exception. Not in a big headed 'I'm superior' way, but as in the curiosity in the corner. Being an individual in a world that operates in conformity is a very lonely place if you are not seen as a conformist.

So it makes me question am I alone because I just dont fit in, or because I cant fit in?

grainofrice24 said:
Hi Nemo! Welcome to the site!

Your story was quite interesting (qi if you like that show :D) but also quite touching. I hope ALL can help you find what you're looking for.

On a side note - I always found taller women attractive...it was my understanding that tall women don't like men that are shorter than they are :p. Either way it sounds like you are being too hard on yourself regarding looks. We all are at times, but chances are you are hotter than you make yourself out to be :cool:.

Hello Grain,
Thanks for your reply.

re my looks thanks for your kind words. I get good days when I think 'yeah, Im not too bad' and bad weeks when I just want to cover my head with a large paper bag.

It is the reaction from other people which gets to me. Stupid I know. I could go to town about the effects of the mass media on people's perception of beauty - dont worry I wont. Unfortunately it does enter our thought processes with negative effects for those who dont fit into the impossible ideal.

I would rather be thought of as brainy, kind and thoughtful, than pretty, horrible or silly. But it seems you have to be considered pretty and act silly enough so not to worry the boss to get anywhere in life.

The real me doesnt consist in the way I wear my hair, or the way I dress. I dont connect to clothes the way some people do, for me they are items I need so I dont get cold or arrested. I havent enough energy to fight all these battles - I just want a job I can do well, and be able to support myself in a modest manner. Fair trade off for everything else I thought. Guess I was wrong!

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone for reading and replying to me. I appreciate all of your kind, welcoming words. They are already helping me and for that I am grateful.

Sci-Fi said:
Welcome to the site.

Hello SciFi, and thanks for the welcome.

Welcome aboard Nemo,

You've got a pretty good sense of humor despite the things that seem to be weighing you down. You're writing style is interesting, it was a pleasure to read your posts and I think we've had a glimpse of a pretty unique individual. I hope you get the breaks you're looking for and start having a life more appealing to you than the way things are right now.

Wishing you a better tomorrow.

Lonely in BC said:
Welcome aboard Nemo,

You've got a pretty good sense of humor despite the things that seem to be weighing you down. You're writing style is interesting, it was a pleasure to read your posts and I think we've had a glimpse of a pretty unique individual. I hope you get the breaks you're looking for and start having a life more appealing to you than the way things are right now.

Wishing you a better tomorrow.

Hello Lonely in BC,
Thanks replying and for your kind words.

Recently I have been feeling down and feeling guilty about it - (twisted logic!) But the responses I have received have been a great help.

There are times when being alone is OK, but there are times when it isnt. This forum has proved to me that being alone with my own thoughts 24/7 is not healthy. For instance when I tell myself that Im not worthy, there is no one else argue the case.

Im currently attempting to escape my little world of self imposed misery. If all goes well I will write a post - hopefully it will help others as much as everyones responses have helped me.

Poguesy said:

Hello Poguesy, hope you are well.

Latest posts

Back