ALL Book Club: April '12

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

flaneur

This is the discussion thread for the April selection. We will be reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut.

I bought Slaughterhouse Five on my kindle tonight but i won't be reading it until i finish A Dance With Dragons by G R R Martin

Yeah, I'm trying to finish Stephen King's, Under The Dome first. But yay a new book to read, :D.

OK, let me dig it up. I might start it after I finish THE PRIME OF MISS JEAN BRODIE (which is only 137 pages long).

No worries.

I finished last month's book very early and regretted it, because by the time everyone else was done I had forgotten much of what I had read or wanted to say. You guys have all month so take your time.

flaneur said:
No worries.

I finished last month's book very early and regretted it, because by the time everyone else was done I had forgotten much of what I had read or wanted to say. You guys have all month so take your time.

Ha thats a very good point, I will wait too, I seem to have a few books I'm half way through now anyway. Im normally one book at a time.

Well I'm gonna bump it if no one else will!

Come on part timers.. lets read the book and finish the thread before April is out :)

Sort of lost my password for a while, is the book club still going on? (three months later) :)

Well as Steinbeck once quoted Burns...

"The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry" ;)

The Good Citizen said:
Well as Steinbeck once quoted Burns...

"The best laid plans of mice and men, often go awry" ;)

Eh I'll still read Slaughterhouse 5 when i get around to it.

Bump ^^^

Anyone book lovers like to have another crack at this? The first month was good then the second never got going.

I am currently re-reading (haven't read it since high school) a compilation of short stories by H.P. Lovecraft. I really need to get over to the library and get something new though.

I'd give it another go, although I'm not sure how many people would be interested in it this time around.

Well Jason agreed (yes you did :p) so that's three, Annik will join in I'll badger Lua and Soph. I think that constitutes a reading circle?

So next step recommend a book. :)

The Good Citizen said:
Annik will join in

Oh will I?! :p

Actually it might be fun I was thinking of saying I'd be in before I saw I already was! I guess I do read like a maniac a bit now though I've only just started a book and I'm still working my way through all yours.

annik said:
The Good Citizen said:
Annik will join in

Oh will I?! :p

Actually it might be fun I was thinking of saying I'd be in before I saw I already was! I guess I do read like a maniac a bit now though I've only just started a book and I'm still working my way through all yours.
Yep, you can just summarise the plot for me :p

The Good Citizen said:
Well Jason agreed (yes you did :p) so that's three, Annik will join in I'll badger Lua and Soph. I think that constitutes a reading circle?

Oh I suppose I won't be able to escape then? ;) I was going to say count me in anyway, so no badgering needed.

JasonM said:
I am currently re-reading (haven't read it since high school) a compilation of short stories by H.P. Lovecraft. I really need to get over to the library and get something new though.

I've been reading a few stories by Lovecraft too and Lone Apothecary might be interested then, Lovecraft is his favorite author. If anyone else feels like discussing those?

I'm not feeling too creative right now, so I'll just post what TGC suggested after the poll had already been decided last time:

Ham on Rye - Bukowski
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Marquez
All Quiet on the Western Front - Remarque
Birdsong - Faulks
Grapes of Wrath - Steinbeck
Down and Out in Paris and London - Orwell
The Trial - kafka

I'd love to read something by Orwell as I've only read 1984 and liked it a lot. I've read One Hundred Years of Solitude and The Trial, but it's been a while, so I wouldn't mind re-reading. Or maybe Love in the Time of Cholera? It's been sitting on my shelf for a while anyway.

I'll read anything in Lua's post, but if we're doing the voting thing again I'll pick the Orwell.

Latest posts

Back