Does anyone still believe in true love?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quietmess

Reaction score
I'm aware that movies/romance novels/ryan gossling has tainted the minds of many women alike. Love isn't always how it looks on a movie screen or in a Nicholas Sparks novel. Despite knowing this, and spending the majority of my time as a cynic, I still wonder if true love is really out there.

So many people fall in love and think they've found, "the one". Then a few months/years later it all falls apart. I watched My Week With Mariyln the other day, and a line that was said really stuck with me. The guy in the film told her that maybe she just hasn't found the right guy yet. She replies by saying, "They all look right from the start."

That hits home so hard for me. I'm in a relationship now, and I have been in two other serious ones in the past. Each and every time I find myself in states of bliss where I am so sure with every part of me that he is "the one". I fantisize about spending the rest of my life with him. Each time it has fallen apart, and even in my current realtionship now I'm starting to see little cracks that are breaking up my illusion of us as the perfect couple. Sometimes I even think that I could probably be with anyone. These guys that come into my life get there by chance only. Does anything make them special or could I really just be with anyone if I tried hard enough?

Even worse, I miss my exes so much, and have starting fearing ever losing touch with my current boyfriend if we ever end things. It's just not fair to me. Maybe I'm just totally flawed, but while I understand the problems with monogamy, I can't wrap my mind around losing touch with an ex. When you give so much to one person, they become your best friend. Every single say I think about my ex-boyfriends and how I wish so badly we still talked.

Relationships are so messy and leave my heart torn to pieces, but each time I risk it again in the hopes something will turn out differently. Maybe I'm doing it because a small part of me still believes in the fairy tale.

Does anyone still believe in true love?

I do even though it turns into a mess time and time again.
I dont have all the answers. Not to say that I dont have a lot.
I do understand you. I think, feel and experinced alot of what you wrote.

I do however see evidents of long lasting relationship.
It would be my parents and other of my friends parents that's been married for
a long...long...long time. Pretty much all thier lives.
Even my eldest sister is still married to her HS sweetheart.
They have their challenges every so often...but they remain together.

I've been married and in 2 other long term relationships.
So it's not that I dont know how to move on with my life.
I dont lack the experince of the honeymoon and romance of it all.
I dont lack experincing the mundain routine of living with someone day after day.
Like i said...I've been in LT relationship over decades.
I've experinced the wide range of it all.
However my heart still belongs to Chloe. Wheather Ive choosen to give it to
her or I just love her is a debet that can go on in my mind and heart forever.
What i want is/was to experince all those things with Chloe from the very start.
Chloe wishes and wanted the same from me. She was my HS sweetheart and fiance.
Which is really odd to me...becuase I ended up going through countless women.
Chloe did the same.

Our lives didnt turn out rosies...wheather by fate or chioce or a combination of both.
Our relationship remains more complicated than ever. Lots of other complicated
stuff in life also came between us.
We tired and tired again...god knows we tired.
There's children involve. Chloe will always be a part of my life oneway or the other.
I simply cannot not look at my daughter without having sometype of triggers, thoughts
and feelings for Chloe. She looks almost just like her mother and have certain traits
of her mother. A part of Chloe is in her. I simply cannot live in denial of this.

Incidently recently my exwf...started speaking to me again. ( i met her after Chloe).
Marriage is a big commitment. Once upon a time i thought that I would
be with my exwf forever and Chloe was just a girl i met in my teenage years.
Moving on with my life. Leaving my past behind me.
Anyway, Chelle say that she still loves me...but not that romance or in love kind
of love. She loves me as a person even though we gone through a bitter deviorce battle.
Chelle knows about Chloe before we got married...I laid all my cards on the table.
So, I'm not sure if that was the right thing to tell her. It effected her Im sure of it.
As pretty as Chelle is...she felt insecure or had jealousy issues.
Anyway....I'm not in love with Chelle anymore.
So I'm not sure if this is...that ture love. The love Chelle has for me as a person.
Chelle wishes for me to be happy. She prays for my happiness....thats a good thing i guess.
Someone needs to pray for me.

At the sametime...this is how I've always felt for Chloe. I love her for her.
I love her as a person and in romance.
It's very difficult for me to speak of Chloe to any women I get involve with.
Yet every women Ive been involved with senses...I have feelings for Chloe even
though I dont speak of her....a presence of another woman in my thoughts and feelings.
So I'm not sure if this is also part of a welge that comes between me developing
lasting relationships with other women.
Time and time again one of my exgf always asked me WHO I was thinking about?.lol

So one of my HS friends recently remained me of my first GF.
He was the person that introduced me to Chloe and my first GF.
Not a total shock to me....because there's patterns in my life.
Chloe looks exactly just like my first GF or a very very close resymblance of her.
I'm not sure if he was just trying to bring another factor into my awearness so
that i may see things differently. Or just remind me that I was head over heels
over my first GF...that perhasp this love i have for Chloe is just some crazy
fantacy, fualts hope I'm living in. Incidently he dosnt belive in True love.
He too have had his experince with relationships...the in and out of it.
Maybe he's just trying to destract me from thinking about Chloe all the time.

Never the less...it's my heart that i must answer to. I love Chloe and will always
love her. Thats the answer i get when I ask myself this.
it's how I honestly think and feel.....At this moment...at this time.
What i think and feel over and over again is my beliefs.
My life had been a journey full of twist and turns. Full of surprizes.
I dont have all the answers. I dont know whats in the future.
It's wide open with unlimited posiblities. True love is also posible.
So I'm not going to close the door on that....
Life had proven me wrong...wrong...wrong time and time again after I think I have it all figured out.lmao

WHY do I think and feel this way?????
I never thought that I would ever hear or see Chloe again prior to her recently contacting me.
Chloe brought lots of surprizes with her and droped bombshellls on me.
With her doing that....It kind of blew my mind and turn my world and life upside down or right side up...IDK
But whatever the hell i thought my life was going to be like before that....I was totally WRONG.Lmao

It's the samething with Chelle....
I told her to fresia OFF!!!! last year.
I never thought she would contact me either cuase she was really really pissed pissed.
I actually did it on purpose to break tites with her. If she hates me enough she would never talk to me again.
I was proven wrong even with the worst of my intensions.

Finding single women is already hard enough, not to mention getting dates and a relationship out of it. True love does not exist. There are no soul-mates and there is no unique compatible partner. There -are- compatible partners, many, probably, but still negligibly few compared to the vast masses of people you come across on a daily basis.

"Being in love" is largely sexual anyway.

I don't really know if I still believe in it or not. I assume you're talking about the whole "happy ever after" scenario.... but I don't know if it's really that simple. Because people change, or maybe they just let their "real" personality come out, you can't really know what will happen in the future. Some people don't worry about that because it's the future and whatnot, but some do, which also doesn't help. "True love" take a lot of hard work and dedication, if you don't have both of those as well as faith in each other and communication and honesty, you won't last....

Varifold said:
"Being in love" is largely sexual anyway.

I don't agree with this statement. I think if sex is a large part of love that it's not really love in the first place. You don't need sex to be in love. (my opinion only, you are entitled to yours as well)

Yes I do, completely.

It seems sometimes its as rare as rocking horse honeysuckle though.

While my heart wants to say yes, my brain says no.

Perhaps you could argue that there is true love within a family structure - I certainly know my parents love me truly.

As for any girl I meet ever loving me to the same degree, I'm not sure that'll ever happen. I'm also not sure I'll ever love someone that much either.

It's just a feeling of mine - the relationships I've seen are just a manifestation of physical attraction (with emotive involvement in the better ones), rather than anything you could immediately define as "true love".

I don't think it's helped with the way Hollywood portrays love. In the movies, everyone is airbrushed to physical perfection, shares their emotions effortlessly and all is fluffy and light - but at the same time it's so false and shallow.

granted.....ive had sex on the beach and got her wetter than the sea.
but seriously romance and being in love
isnt all about sex. I walked on the beach
with her plenty without having sex more
often than not. Ive dance under the moon light
with her in the middle of the street to just the music
of our heart beats.
My romance life is alot hotter than hollywood.
and my sex life ...you definity cant even show
it on the silver screen or Show time.lmao
You dont even know.....

" scracthes on my back...I got the video"
"You get me right on"
Hey..ur a crazy ***** but you fresia so good". hahahaaaa

The trauma and dramma
well..its was a bit bloody.
im hoping i wont suffer ptsd for the rest of my life.
it was the real deal. Real blood. Real ER.
I've watch her screamed and cried her heart out of me over and over again.
I've listen to her call me names and punched my lights out.
The physical and emotional scars are real. My scars. Her scars.
Plenty of scars on the both of us...what's the physical attraction in that?

She drove 1500 miles in the dark dessert nights just to be with me. As I did for her.
Thats alot more than any woman had done for me or go out of her way to be with me.
It was actaully more romantic than the song Hotel California.
Her car broke down out on some old dessert HWY.
We kissed and held each other and couldnt keep our hands and body off of each other for almost 1/2 hour
in some small town out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night.
A mexican dude drove by and honked his horn...saying Alright....vato.lmao

Love , passion and warfair...

I'm her forbidden love.

Hell even the circumstance surrounding our
duaghter is more than a screen writer can come up with.
Ive held my daughter for the first time in her life as she cried her heart out
and didnt want to let me go. People dont know what really gose on inside her heart.
Sunset and Hollywood....I'm positive Kimi is awear it isnt paved with all glitter and gold.
Unconditional Love

Its kind of like faith i suppose.
When everything gose good...it's easy to have faith.
When the honeysuckle hits the fan people lose faith.

It's easy to be positive when things are going your way.

I truely love her. i still Love her..when it's messed up.

The thing of it is...I kicked Tracy to crub when Chloe contacted me.
I also left Jennifer to be with Chloe...Jennifer totally kissed my ass or acted like the perfect wife.
Alot of my friends and family was surprized by my actions of leaving Jennifer becuase of the issues,
problems and challenges Chloe and I have.
Some say it's karma that what I'm going through at the moment.
So it's not like I havnt broke hearts....I have.
Jar of hearts...Chloe used to play that song for me.
She also fear of getting her heart broken again by me too.
I was the one that left Chloe when she was pregnant with Kimi.
And when I left her...the circumstance around that isnt so cut and dry.
It was complicated all the way around....It also involved my exwf and custusdy battle I was having with her.
The timing, events, and decisions that everyone made all effected my relationship with Chloe.
It alter our lives and it also altered Kimi's life.

K...this is some of what happened between my exwf. I can luagh about it now.
I jump on the fucken hood of her car after an argument....thinking she would stop.lmao
So she punches it...Takes off with me on the fucken hood through town going pretty god **** fast.
She was pissed pissed off. A crazy white woman in a sup up hot rod.
So Im screaming at her to fucken stop....this aint hollywood and Im not a fucken stunt man.lmao
She didnt....So I pucnhed the windshield and cutted the living honeysuckle out of my hand.
She slams on the breaks...then I rolled off the car.
Then she sceams and runs over me.
I was bleeding from head to toes. I limp home. it was a 3 miles limp.lmao
Hollywood??????lol

hey kamya, that charlie guy makes some good documentaries... i actually saw the series about relationships... good honeysuckle..

what is true love? why not just love?
is it only true if its everlasting? thats not right... nothing lasts forever...
if theres true love, then by deduction, theres fake love... whats that like?

so in conclusion.. i believe there is love and that it should be appreciated when its there and always be honest to avoid giving fake love...

I believe in true love, but not the kind that has anything to do with physical attraction. All that feeling stuff is lust or infatuation. But true love is that emotional connection, that isn't looking out for just yourself..but the other persons wants and needs. Needing them in your life because you miss them and want to take care of them when you can. From my experience.. love doesn't develop right away and can take years. I thought that I loved at first but it was that fairy tale thinking and it was all in my head to be honest with you.

I believe in it. Many people, I think.. they confuse "true love" with "perfect relationship". "Perfect relationship", I think there is no such thing... "True love".. I believe display of this is not a perfect relationship.. but instead how strong two people remain together, through all the sorts of problems and bad situations and other troublesome things sure to happen. Even if problems are of each other. Through such things, people in "true love" remain by each other, instead to run away at first sign of trouble. That is my view of it, any way.

I believe in love, I don't know if that means much since I am just 14 and might not be able to fully understand it :(. I think what I feel for a certain girl right now is love. Yes I might have a small desire to be closer to her, but what I usually care about is her problems and how her life is going. I don't believe that love is mostly sexual, that I believe is lust. Love is an emotional attachment in my opinion, you feel what she/he feels and things that bother her/him bother you too, at least that's what I experience.

Whenever my infatuation has a dilemma, I don't wait for her to call for help, I head straight to her aid. Whenever people talk bad crap about my feelings for her, I don't run away just to maintain my reputation, I would gladly sacrifice it for her. That could be "young love" but like I said, I might not be able to understand it properly given my age...

Yes I do, not the 'happy ever after' stuff.

True love is knowing the other person's personality, character, flaws, and everything, but still choosing to make the commitment to be in a that long-term relationship with them. Having common life goals and understanding that love isn't sex and never will be. Infatuation and love isn't the same thing. It's like lust, seeing the other person as 'perfect', other relationships and friendships deteriorate, etc.

I believe in true love with all my heart. I don't believe everyone is lucky enough to actually find it, but I do believe it exists. I think today's society makes it harder to find, and all that much more valuable.

I was raised by grandparents and they were truly in love, so I know it exists. The best piece of relationship wisdom I ever received was in the form of an anecdote from the early years of my grandparent's marriage. My grandmother used to tell me that her and Grampa used to fight like cats and dogs when they first got married, and the walls would often get painted red and yellow and all sorts of colors. I asked her what she meant and she said "well there would be ketchup and mustard and anything else I could get my hands on flying through the air!" a young me inquired "so when you got mad you threw stuff at the wall?" to which she responded "No, I threw it at Grampa, but he ducked"

To this day, I hold that as the model of my marriage. She taught me it's perfectly normal to fight, in fact it's strange not to. If you didn't care for them, you wouldn't need to fight, now would you?

Happily ever after is bullshit. Condiments on the wall? Now that's the good stuff.

Okiedokes said:
I believe in true love, but not the kind that has anything to do with physical attraction. All that feeling stuff is lust or infatuation. But true love is that emotional connection, that isn't looking out for just yourself..but the other persons wants and needs. Needing them in your life because you miss them and want to take care of them when you can. From my experience.. love doesn't develop right away and can take years. I thought that I loved at first but it was that fairy tale thinking and it was all in my head to be honest with you.

Couldn't have put that more succinctly myself

(I was going to type something typically cynical on this post)

I believe it exists in a lot of people's lives. I don't mean romance and relationships, but love by itself.

Latest posts

Back