Real and imagined lack of self-worth

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varifold

Reaction score
Hey. :) I am new to this precious board, and no other sub-forum seemed fit for this post, so @mods feel free to move it should I've overlooked something.

Yesterday when I was yet again stalking profiles of people I know on Facebook I realised that my ex-oneitis' new boyfriend is inherently superior to, say, me, which renders questioning her dating choices moot. Let me elaborate: I am 22 years old, I have had a girlfriend (my only one) last year (we split up, initiated by me, due to insufficient compatibility), and I am a grad student in a STEM subject. Being somewhat good at my subject is the only thing that I am good at, and even that requires a shitload of effort. Her boyfriend (whom she met seven months ago and is now moving in with) is a black-belt in Judo, 23 years old (she is 24), both of them are Physics students (although her academic success is virtually non-existent), he is also a professional dancer (participating in international dancing competitions, winning, and such), and he is good-looking, tall, fit, and has a pleasant voice. Lots of chicks dig him, but he appears to like/want my ex-oneitis, which is probably good for her.

Now, I have always felt worthless and inferior to most others, despite a great childhood and wonderful parents/family. I cannot at all complain about my life from a rational perspective, except that I am ... well, visibly average or even largely worthless. I cannot at all compete with a man like my ex-oneitis' boyfriend. There is nothing of visible value about me. I am weak, my voice is annoying, I am average in looks, my mental/cognitive abilities are average, and I am not particularly social, either. Even my days go by faster than for other people, with less productive outcome. Of course, all of this is subjective, but you have to draw the line somewhere when it comes to mindless pop-positivity. Being positive is good, if it is based on reason, but otherwise it is simply delusional.

A vast bulk of my knowledge is in my subject of study. Others, who are also equally good at my subject, also know a lot about other topics, like history, philosophy, other STEM subjects, and so on. This is knowledge I could never absorb simply out of a sheer lack of time. I need most of my resources for my own subject.

Yeah, I am somewhat good at languages, but except for English and my native languages I have no way of making proper use of that "ability". Learning a language's vocabulary still takes a lot of time, even if grammar comes somewhat naturally to me.

And physical activity: I have an average body. It could look better, were I to put more effort into my workout but I must admit that I am too lazy for that, because it's painful and I don't find pain of that kind particularly enjoyable.

So, how do you properly distinguish between imagined and true lack of worth when it comes to your own self?

When I compare myself to others, I almost always feel inferior.

Well....your error is compairing yourself with other people and whatever the hell
the media, your peers and society wanna feed into your head. The IDEA of it all.
When you run with an idea...It becomes a belief.
So I am going to mind wash ya.lol
Or awaken you from your delusions or sleep.lmao

May I suggest googling or reading literature on self esteem.
It basic 101 to stop compairing yourself with other to have GOOD selfesteem

Lets define SELF ESTEEM.
The last time i looked up the definition of it. It translate to SELF WORTH.
It would be SELF not OTHERS.....Simple english.

Worhtless...that's how you feel and think about yourself?
Errr...wtf else would you expect how youre going to react or act if you believe in that about yourself?
We live in accordance to what we BELIEVE.
Our beliefs are the CUASE. Our actions are the EFFECTS or symtoms.
Lets treat our illness at the ROOT CUASE shall we.

You answer your own question.lmao
If you feel like honeysuckle when you compair yourself to others....Well stop doing that honeysuckle.

Get in touch with your feelings man. emotional inteligents.
Your feelings are telling ya something.
It's like a warning bell that gose...ding, ding! Something is not right.

No one truley lacks anything. It in our awearness.
Example....motivations.
You're either more motivate to sit on your ass or get off of your ass.
It's in the payoffs...
You got it.....laziness would be the payoffs when you sit on your ass. Feels comfortiable.

Honey attracts Bees....Hardbody attracts Honeys.lol SIMPLE LOGIC
Hot pussy would be the payoffs in motivating you to get up off of your ass and exercise.
Pussy feels very very good. This i must confess.lol

FEARS....
Theres two types of fears. It's just your feelings to help you.
Get in touch with your fears. Identify them and properly catigorize them.
The first type of fear is the one that will stop you in your tracks. This type of fear keeps you safe. ( not to be confused with comfort)
The second type of fear will get you off of you ass. This will also keep you safe. Such as running like hell from a snake.

Fears pretaining to women....
Lets keep it simple.
Pussy feels good...so why are you afraid of pussy?
K...some do scratch N bite but it hurts in a good way.lmao
I fear i ma loose it , if I dont use it, so I ma get off of my ass.lol

Fear of rejections. this will keep you in your safe and comfortible in the friendzone.lol
K....the second rule of good self esteem is..." i dont really give a fresia what others think about me".lol

I have to agree with LC here. He's giving some good advice.

Simply put, you are what you believe you are. If you believe you are worthless, you will be. Personally, I don't believe anyone has a lack of worth (except maybe myself). Everyone has something in them that makes them a good person, something that makes them have value. Someone once told me... "what other people think of you is none of your business, it only matter what YOU think of you"... They were right, it only matter what YOU think.

You should never compare yourself to anyone.

You say you're good at languages? That is your area, dude! Just because this guy has other areas of his life that he's good at, doesn't mean he isn't flawed, just like anyone. Everyone has their flaws.

This is exactly what I was trying to allude to. The point is in distinguishing between a lack of worth/value which is purely imagined (i.e. a false belief) and a lack of worth/value which is the simple consequence of ranking low in some sort of competition.

Clearly, we all are of equal worth as humans - that is not my point. As living being we are all virtually the same. However, we are not the same when it comes to some kind of individual comparison. For instance, that guy I mentioned is a black-belt in a martial art, a professional dancer and good-looking. I am weak, have bad motor control, and I am average in terms of looks. Well, but then I am very good at my subject, I am good at languages and I am good at, say, explaining things to others.

So, in 'average' that guy and me are almost the same. Though, I think his positive traits outweigh my positive traits, but let's assume for the sake of argument that we have the same worth/value all things considered. However, his positive traits are clearly more visible. Now you are going to say that it isn't relevant what others think of you - but it is when it comes to them judging you. If you want/need a good first impression (possibly by making use of a Halo effect) you will need to have positive traits that are clearly noticeable and don't require getting to know you.

I agree with LC, though, on the part about fears and the part about cause/effect being linked to beliefs and positive thoughts - at least when it comes to those beliefs influencing/facilitating/generating goal-oriented positive actions. However, nothing will change if you remain inactive and just believe that you are great. That'd be nuts.

Varifold said:
This is exactly what I was trying to allude to. The point is in distinguishing between a lack of worth/value which is purely imagined (i.e. a false belief) and a lack of worth/value which is the simple consequence ranking low in some sort of competition.

Clearly, we all are of equal worth as humans - that is not my point. As living being we are all virtually the same. However, we are not the same when it comes to some kind of individual comparison. For instance, that guy I mentioned is a black-belt in a martial art, a professional dancer and good-looking. I am weak, have bad motor control, and I am average in terms of looks. Well, but then I am very good at my subject, I am good at languages and I am good at, say, explaining things to others.

So, in 'average' that guy and me are almost the same. Though, I think his positive traits outweigh my positive traits, but let's assume for the sake of argument that we have the same worth/value all things considered. However, his positive traits are clearly more visible. Now you are going to say that it isn't relevant what others think of you - but it is when it comes to them judging you. If you want/need a good first impression (possibly by making use of a Halo effect) you will need to have positive traits that are clearly noticeable and don't require getting to know you.

I agree with LC, though, on the part about fears and the part about cause/effect being linked to beliefs and positive thoughts - at least when it comes to those beliefs influencing/facilitating/generating goal-oriented positive actions. However, nothing will change if you remain inactive and just believe that you are great. That'd be nuts.

Even after reading this, I still maintain what I said before. Yes, outward appearances are sometimes (more often than not, actually) a factor when you meet someone, but I don't really believe that matters. I've met all different types of people and became friends with them...from raging alcoholics and pompous asses to shy people who barely talk and people who are too smart for their own good. People who judge you to be not worth their time on first impressions, in my opinion, don't need to be in your life. There's a lot of people who are better than me in the personality department, because I'm so outspoken and prefer the truth to coddling. Yes, I can be tactful about it, but sometimes I just don't want to. There are a lot of people who are better educated than I am, stronger than I am. None of that really matters, at least not in my opinion, because if someone gets to know ME, and not base what they see on the outside and how much of a ***** I can be, they'll see that I am a good person and I do have value.

Callie said:
Doubt The Rabbit said:
Callie said:
I have to agree with LC here. He's giving some good advice.

Mind = Blown.

IKR?????
You have no idea how hard it was to type that

Lmao....
I said....I was going to wash his mind not Blow yours.

Im just passing on the message from what Ive learned in my own way. My boss chopped my head off plenty for telling him bad fucken news.lol

Anyhow.,,you both can have peace and releave knowing
I didnt make that honeysuckle up out of thin air or from my twisted
evil mind. lol
Principles before personalities...
Im such a fucken charactor I know :p

K....the materials or teachings Ive learned kind of blew my freaken
mind too.
So I was getting the same sort of message from verious sources in different ways at the sametime. (the principles of the messages) Staying openminded and teachable or willing to try new ideas
and put them into practice in my own life becuase these so call
knowelgeable people also shared their experinces of how messed
up thier lives where at one time. I can relate and identify with that....it actaully hitted me between the fucken eyes and woke
me the fresia up.
They took certain steps and made changes
in theirs lives to be happy, successful, in love, in healthy relationships and filty mother fucken rich.

Yes....have positive thoughts and feeling....Dont work so hard, try so **** hard or even do anything.
These are some of the new materials I'm learning.

All my life Ive been told...WORK HARD for your Fucken Money.
Guess what???? I believe in that.
Guess what....I worked mother fucken hard for my money...

As i look around at some of my friends...They're rich people. Millionairs.
They're lay back, easy going, and play most of the time.They dont work hard for thier money.

I was in my friends office in his big ass house oneday usingf his PC.
He had pictures and images of certain things he wanted in his life....
He wrote on there......"my dreams...my dreams"
I thought it was a fucken joke.
A month later that particular item showed up in his living room.lmao

I was talking to him at his own bussiness oneday.
Jokingly he said to me..."do you like my creations"

He was on to something...I witness something in my own eyes...not just reading it from books.

i also knew he had to learn it from somewhere or someone....becuase i raised him when he was a teenager.
He too have had his heart broken, devistated, lost his daughter, homeless..ect at one time.
I used to counsol him as he cired his heart out. His life isnt like that anymore.
He's a millionair living a joyest prosperious life with money to burn.

He actaully dosnt even work anymore....
He plays around on his race truck traveling the country or flies his air plane all day.
Drop dead gerogeus wife of course.
I dear not mention his HS sweet heart....You can still see waters in his eyes if you mention her.
He's also a high school drop out....yet he's a millionair...MIND BLOWNING

So to get back to compairsion.

If i compair myself to my friend....I'll be messed.
It'll generate negative feelings inside of me...such as envy, jealousy or anger.
Even though he's my friend.lol
Rather I should be happy for him for having what he has now. He went through some messed up honeysuckle too.
It's remaining positive and not generating disharmony within myself.

So ...I ma picture myself being a millionair too.
my dreams...my dreams...my dreams.lol
Imaginary or real? lmao

As far as believing and not doing anything at the moment...
Well...if I continue to do the same old honeysuckle...take the same old actions from my old beliefs.
Im going to get the same fucken results. Doing the samething over and over again
and expecting a different result is insanity.

Think I get it now...

Seeing is believing....that's observing someone's else dreams and creations.
Beliving is seeing...this is how I create my own results or dreams.

Latest posts

Back