Exercise Success Thread

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSolitaryMan

Reaction score
Since I've noticed Ak5 and jjam posting on this in the past, thought I'd make a group thread so we can all discuss and celebrate :D

I'm really pleased so far, and I honestly never thought I'd ever do it.

I have:

- Dropped nearly 4.5 stone in weight

- Developed from being unable to do one pressup to being able to do 70+ in one sitting.

- Gone from being unable to do 15 situps easily --> 50+ every day with planted feet and hands behind my head.

- Gone from 0 pull-ups to around 10 pull-ups per sitting. I am trying to improve this eventually to 20, but progress is slow.

- 20 km on my bike every 1-2 days, from doing absolutely nothing.

My stomach displays pretty prominent 2-pack abs now and yesterday I discovered the rather disturbing new trait of being able to feel the little spaces between my ribs when stretching :p

My ultimate goal is to lose the last unpleasant little bit of stomach fat I have, then tone my abs further and possibly my, err, lower rear region a bit more too :)

I would really recommend exercise to anyone unhappy with their bodyweight. I think the key message I've certainly learned is that you can crack almost any problem with time and effort.

Wow it sounds like you're turning into a machine!!! Way to go dude! I mean, 70+ pressups, that is just an insane number.

At the height of fitness I was doing one of those Crossfit programs: 20 power cleans with 40kg weight, 20 chinups, 500m run as fast as possible. And do that 3 times in a row, aiming to first do it under an hour and then get progressively faster. It was pretty gruelling, but I ended up getting some problems with my knees and stopping.

I haven't gone to the gym in a couple months, I really should go back. But even so I've been working on my body language and posture, making sure everything is fluid. I'm really feeling the benefits of that.

-started running track and meeting a 6-laps goal
+now I run 14 laps with ease, sprinting like a cheetah on the last lap

-weighed about 170 with a goal to reach 190s by the end of last year
+didn't reach 190 but was at about 188, which is probably the most I've ever weighed here at 6'4"
-lost the weight (down to 182 now)
+because I am trying to transition to healthier diet

-started in the gym barely doing 5 chinups, 1 set
+4 sets of 10 chinups with ease now

+body looks better and I'm definitely stronger
-but I'm not really bigger, which was part of the objective

I guess I need to eat a lot more than I do, but I want to eat the good stuff!
And it's hard with food (especially healthy foods) costing so much money.
To gain eating well without supplements is a challenge for me! Exercising is not the issue. It's diet.

All it takes is one decision folks. Work hard at it, and you can accomplish anything.

I myself went from being overweight to now around 155 lbs. Been working out since January 2011 and strength training since July 2011. All done without a gym! Everything I use is home equipment. My arm muscles are starting to show, my ab obliques are showing and I'm constantly improving my entire workout to get the most of it. It's a radical transformation, from seeing my arms/abs/legs/etc. as pure fat, now starting to show their muscles. Still got a shitload of work to do, but I am making progress! And that's the important part. :D I'll have to test out my endurance on a test soon to see how much I last lol.

Congrats SolitaryMan, Ajdass, and Jjam! Let's keep working out. :)

Yesterday i walked to the bookies and back.

Today i plan to walk to the pub and back.

Poguesy said:
Yesterday i walked to the bookies and back.

Today i plan to walk to the pub and back.

Hehe, it's a start Poguesy! :p

Wow guys, some very admirable workouts there :)

Ajdass, that sounds absolutely punishing! I don't think I could have stuck with such a hard regime. Personally I'm like Ak5, I've simply exercised at home to my own plan rather than go to a gym. I've been thinking of getting to a gym for the social aspect, but right now I don't have time or money...

But yes, I feel inspired by what I read here :D

Wow, you guys sound like a bunch of machines. That's awesome. :)

Exercise success thread? Good idea... very inspirational.

I've always been a big guy (I'm 6'3, or 191cm) but it used to be ridiculous...

In January 2009, I weighed 128kg (282Ibs). Nine months later (September 2009) I weighed 96kg (211Ibs).

At the moment, I weigh 100kg (220Ibs). I have managed to keep that unnecessary weight off (body fat) while further developing muscle mass.

When I first started going to the gym in December 2010, I could only bench press a maximum of 60kg (132Ibs). Now I can bench press 90kg (198Ibs).

I have been training in my martial art (Judo) for nearly three and a half years... I feel I am still new and I am of course still learning but, in 2010 I competed at the Australian University Games of Sports, winning gold medal in the men's heavyweight division. That's my best sporting achievement.

DiscoSpider said:
I have been training in my martial art (Judo) for nearly three and a half years... I feel I am still new and I am of course still learning but, in 2010 I competed at the Australian University Games of Sports, winning gold medal in the men's heavyweight division. That's my best sporting achievement.

Really nice! Want to get into Judo myself, unfortunately I'm going to need to get my eyesight fixed (or get contacts) first. It looks like great fun, practical self-defence too.

Dropped another stone and a bit since my OP. Actually a little worried, because I don't want to lose any more weight. For the first time ever, I might actually have to start eating more :shy:

Still got a really unpleasant (in my eyes, anyway) little flabby overhang on my stomach, but underneath it I seem to have six-pack-ish lumps. If I can get rid of that I will be immeasurably happy ^^

Progressed to 20 chin ups at a time, so happy to hit that goal. Sometimes I do three or four reps a day, too. Haven't cycled in a while, because it makes me lose weight quickly. May have to do so to keep my legs nice and strong.

*Ahem*

So yeah, that's an update from me. Hope you guys are continuing to do so well :)

Latest posts

Back