When & Where Do You Feel Most Lonely?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost Drifter

Reaction score
I’m alone but not always lonely. I could easily answer “all the time” or “everywhere” but that would be a lie so I’ve spent the past couple of days thinking about when or where my loneliness triggers the most.

I’m fine at home for the most part; I can attribute any sense of loneliness to my own self-made isolation (i.e. I’m home alone) but really get down when I see those huge New Year count downs on the television. I really hate those shows. I’m ok while out shopping, I’m more concerned about getting what I need than feeling alone but feel a tad sorry for myself when I see those massive family shopping trolleys sat next to my insignificant basket filled with meals for one.

Cinemas are ok during show times but walking alone through a cinema lobby packed with crowds of excited friends on a night out often pulls on the lonesome heartstrings. Eating out is another, dining alone can be awkward enough but lots of restaurants or cafes seem to go out of their way to make single diners feel uncomfortable. Ever had that look of shock when you ask for a table for one? Or see the waiter hurriedly clear up all the other plates leaving you surrounded by a barrier of empty table space? I’m fond of sampling new foods but eating out alone has become a massive no-no.

I think work is where I feel the loneliest, so much to the point where it’s damaging my self-esteem. It’s a place where everyone knows my name yet treat me like a total stranger, avoiding conversation if not avoiding eye contact all together, talking over me and around me like I don’t even exist.

That for me is when I feel the loneliest. What about you?

I feel the most lonely when I want to discuss video games, chess, or basketball, because I live with my grandmother, mother, and Father. They have no interest in any of my interests at all.

Lost Drifter said:
I’m alone but not always lonely. I could easily answer “all the time” or “everywhere” but that would be a lie so I’ve spent the past couple of days thinking about when or where my loneliness triggers the most.

I’m fine at home for the most part; I can attribute any sense of loneliness to my own self-made isolation (i.e. I’m home alone) but really get down when I see those huge New Year count downs on the television. I really hate those shows. I’m ok while out shopping, I’m more concerned about getting what I need than feeling alone but feel a tad sorry for myself when I see those massive family shopping trolleys sat next to my insignificant basket filled with meals for one.

Cinemas are ok during show times but walking alone through a cinema lobby packed with crowds of excited friends on a night out often pulls on the lonesome heartstrings. Eating out is another, dining alone can be awkward enough but lots of restaurants or cafes seem to go out of their way to make single diners feel uncomfortable. Ever had that look of shock when you ask for a table for one? Or see the waiter hurriedly clear up all the other plates leaving you surrounded by a barrier of empty table space? I’m fond of sampling new foods but eating out alone has become a massive no-no.

I think work is where I feel the loneliest, so much to the point where it’s damaging my self-esteem. It’s a place where everyone knows my name yet treat me like a total stranger, avoiding conversation if not avoiding eye contact all together, talking over me and around me like I don’t even exist.

That for me is when I feel the loneliest. What about you?

On a night when I'm sat at my pc reading this forum. And then I go on facebook and see people I know are having a night out / get together or whatever.

For me, work is fine. I interact with people and actually talk a lot. I don't have any personal conversations, though. When I do, I kind of say to much, but whatever.

I understand the shopping part, but I mostly ignore the people around me, no matter what my basket is filled with. However, I see sometimes people in groups talking about things they get, especially around the holidays and then I remember my room is empty and will be so throughout the entire "celebration" of whatever.

I never go out alone, bars or restaurants. The loneliness there is insurmountable. And I look stupid sitting there alone.

But most lonely is when there is an hour or two before going to bed and I realize I exhausted all my normal passtimes (reading, playing, music, etc), and there is nothing to do, noone to talk to. Like right now.

I never realized I was so lonely before.

.__.

When my husband is away for work for weeks, months, and I am completely alone here.

When I realize that no matter how many people I meet, I just simply can't relate to most of them in terms of my experiences and interests.

Remembering a time when my life wasn't so socially empty.

And then when I remember that most people annoy me anyway because they are unreasonable, begrudging, arrogant, vicious, fickle, etc.

When the power is out and I don't have the internet. Not that I'm an avid Facebook user but sometimes I go on mine just to read the news feeds and what some of my old friends are up to. Plus the online game I play with a really nice group of people.

Sci-Fi said:
When the power is out and I don't have the internet. Not that I'm an avid Facebook user but sometimes I go on mine just to read the news feeds and what some of my old friends are up to. Plus the online game I play with a really nice group of people.

I feel lost without the internet.

Kathryn said:
But most lonely is when there is an hour or two before going to bed and I realize I exhausted all my normal passtimes (reading, playing, music, etc), and there is nothing to do, noone to talk to. Like right now.
.__.

I feel the same, I have many lonely moments, but at home, finally relaxing and realising I have no-one to share it with :(:(:( that's the worst.

Um, I feel most lonely when surrounded by people. Even if I'm in a group with my friends or supposedly having a great time with them, I feel the most lonely when I'm with people. When I'm by myself, it's as if I can just be me, and I don't have to worry about what anyone else thinks.
My main cause of loneliness is that I can't be myself around people. Not being able to be myself = loneliness

Hi, I hear you when you say others treat you like you don't exist, and it is hard to keep the self esteem up when this happens, for what it is worth you are understood and do exist,

Outside my head I feel most lonely. I am happy dwelling in the worlds in which I create. I know everybody there and it is as if they are my friends and family. I could live there and I can sometimes fancy myself standing beside them. There are the voices (or thoughts, I haven't been able to tell them apart) that say funny things every now and then. I consider them my muses and friends. They help me create.

There have been times in my life that all of a sudden the train comes to an abrupt stop. I become so painfully aware of my existence that it is like physical pain. I feel it in my heart, my mind, and my spirit. It makes me want to kill myself. Those times are only a few fleeting seconds but they are eternity to me.

I feel the the loneliest when I see other people get invited to things and then go out to have fun together. Often times, they are invited right in front of me, and I am left out. I should be used to that by now, but it still really hurts. I am so tired of being chopped liver!

I also feel lonely when I end up killing threads on forums. That seems to happen a lot! xD

I'm seldom alone.
I go hang out with friends at bars, resteruants, parties...ect most of the time.
I talk to different women and meet new people all the time actaully.
I can socialized...it's just a skill.

Sometimes I'll go to church, surport groups...ect.
There's something very wrong with me.
These peeople can see that something in my motherfucken eyes.
Some of them are trying to save and fix me.lmao

I dont feel lonely. I feel pain....
It stems from people and situations in my life that's gone
very very very wrong.

Sometimes a very beautiful woman and I can be having a nice
conversation. For the most part it's going will....
Then something triggers my brain. A thought or a feeling.
Then I feel like my heart dosnt belong there.
Then i feel Im not living my life like how it should be and how I wanted.
Then I disconnected to everything and life. Everything in life seems retarded to me.
Sometimes it last. Other times it'll pass.
If she flash her titays and rub them in my face...I'll get distracted. Stuff like that.

When I'm unhappy or simply feeling down. My way of thinking changes.

The holidays are the roughest for me because my son is so far away. Eating out at a restaurant I find strange as well. It's like I'm the only one there alone! It's only my pereception but still. Sometimes walking the boardwalk gets lonely too. You see lots of couples together, or group of friends together. Am I the only one there alone. And I would be totally lost without my internet.

I identify with several posters.
Like Putter65 I hate being deprived of the net. If I wasn't alone, I would probably come online once a week just to do practical things. Instead, I am on every day for a couple of hours.
Like Avaron, I can feel really alone when with people, if they are the sort of people I have to wear a mask with.
Like Kathryn, I feel lonely at night when the net, TV and reading have lost their appeal and there is an hour or two till I go to bed.
Like Lost Drifter I find eating out alone hard and so always have a book with me if I go into a cafe.
Overall I feel lonely pretty much all the time, and try my best to keep busy to avoid dwelling on it too much. But it is not easy.

Avaron said:
My main cause of loneliness is that I can't be myself around people. Not being able to be myself = loneliness

THIS.

Other than with my husband, I can't be myself around anyone here. It's all fake, Martha Stewart, pearl-wearing b.s. Everyone's serious and humorless because that equals "sophisticated". A Superbowl party consists of sipping wine and making quiet conversation (I did not make that up). They're interested in what each other has, not who each other is. They are cultural retards and total philistines. And I am at my loneliest when I leave a party or dinner or get-together because I've spent the whole time with not a single personwho can just be real or laugh at a joke or talk about... anything not to do with status or trying to one-up. You know, be me and have fun. It's a lonely feeling when I'm driving home after spending a few hours knowing that "me" wasn't acceptable so I had to just shut down and smile. Smile, gag, repeat.

In large groups or big parties, even if I am with people I know, because the relation is really superficial, and I end up losing myself in my thoughts, instead of becoming part of the group (OK, not always). Being alone in the house also takes a toll, after some time I need to turn facebook on just to remind myself that I am not alone on a desert island or the last person left in the world. It's like peekaboo, sometimes I feel if I don't see other people they don't exist anymore and I am abandoned forever, weird if you think about it.
Never had a problem with bars, also because since high school I would go to work (write) there, and I loved it, good music, human beings around you, ready made food, great.
Going to the cinema, unless it's a film I really long to see on the big screen I don't enjoy it when alone, because for me it's something one has to do with other people, eating popcorn together, making jokes about the movie etc. Other people just enjoy the film, I do, but I might as well download it and see it at home.

Latest posts

Back