Worried about problem at work

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vallis

Reaction score
Yesterday, my manager told me about a report she just received.
My manager doesn't know whats in the report. It's red because a client is dissatisfied.

She said "let's look at it on Monday. Go home, it's Friday". She didn’t open it.

My manager has a pretty good opinion of me, she probably thinks its nothing serious, probably that I just didn't try hard enough to sell a product, or just rubbed the client the wrong way.

But if she look at the files and computer records, she may find out that I was surfing the internet as I was with the client (thus not giving 100% of my attention to work). I have a bad habit of surfing while I'm on a call with a client. Which can be a very serious offence.

That's what I'm worried about.

It is against the company Code of Conduct.
Punishments can vary. I've heard of people getting fired for similar offences.

Of course, it may turn out the records show I wasn't surfing, and that the client was dissatisfied about something else (like our prices or products).

I'm so worried. I'm generally a good worker, never had a disciplinary problem ever in 4 years.

I'm terrified I might be fired from my job. I can't worrying about it.
My work is my only source of income.

My weekend is feeling terrible right now :(

Sorry Vallis, I know nothing helpful to say, but I hope you do not lose your job.

But 4 years and no problem before, it seems strange if they would fire

Even if there isn't an issue with you personally, and she doesn't see that you were surfing the internet while with a client, perhaps you should look into helping yourself out and stop surfing the internet while with a potential product buyer. Don't allow yourself to be caught in that situation. Cut that habit.

Yes, it would be better if you stopped using the net while with a client.
I think that your manager was unfair not to open the report and talk about it with you then and there. It would have saved you from having to stress the whole weekend about what might be in it. It wiould also have given you the time to formulate a response.

VanillaCreme said:
Even if there isn't an issue with you personally, and she doesn't see that you were surfing the internet while with a client, perhaps you should look into helping yourself out and stop surfing the internet while with a potential product buyer. Don't allow yourself to be caught in that situation. Cut that habit.

Oh yeah I'm not going to surf while online with a client anymore. If my manager does talk to me about it, I'm making a very sincere promise that I'll stop the habit.

I think my problem is waiting to see exactly what happens in about 24 hours. I wish time would fly by faster, as all this thinking is extremely stressful :(

Tiina63 said:
Yes, it would be better if you stopped using the net while with a client.
I think that your manager was unfair not to open the report and talk about it with you then and there. It would have saved you from having to stress the whole weekend about what might be in it. It wiould also have given you the time to formulate a response.

My manager generally believes I am a good worker and doesn't think I would surf online while with a client. If that is what's in the report, it's definitely a first for me. That's why she didn't open it, she probably thought the report was due to a hard haggling client who was dissatisfied and "my hands were tied", not because I wasn't concentrating.

I can't seem to calm myself down, and not think about it ...

Yes sorry to sound strict but you have to use you breaks or lunch times to surf. Would you like it if somebody was doing that while you were a client :p

But 4 years good work you won't be fired, the most extreme outcome would be a 1st warning (if that)

I hope it goes ok for you

dannyr22 said:
Yes sorry to sound strict but you have to use you breaks or lunch times to surf. Would you like it if somebody was doing that while you were a client :p

But 4 years good work you won't be fired, the most extreme outcome would be a 1st warning (if that)

I hope it goes ok for you

Thank you. I spent last nite drinking again as I didn't know what else I could do. Since this worry happened, I can't seem to function normally anymore. I can't do house chores. I want to go outside to buy some stuff but I can't. I don't feel like leaving my house for a walk.

I'm not normally like this. I don't even feel like myself, I feel more like a walking shell. Weird, isn't it?

Yeah like others have said, it's a good idea to drop that habit. However you've been a good worker for so long I would be really surprised if anything harsher than a reprimand comes your way.

It doesn't sound weird that you can't settle to anything or that you feel like a shell. This is what stress and extreme anxiety do to us. I hope that your worries are in vain and that the report is about something small.

Tiina63 said:
It doesn't sound weird that you can't settle to anything or that you feel like a shell. This is what stress and extreme anxiety do to us. I hope that your worries are in vain and that the report is about something small.

+1

Try to get a good nights sleep to be fresh and prepared. Let us know how it goes :cool:

I hope it works out for you.

These sort of work problems can cause a lot of stress.

Limlim said:
its monday! how did it go?

Today my manager was too busy to open the report (still). Initally i thought it best I not talk to her about it. All the better if she forgets and doesn't bring it up.

But towards the end of the day she talks to me and tells me she will review the report on Wednesday with me.

Seeing how I can no longer bet she will forget, I decided to give her a heads up. I told her I might have been surfing the net while with the client thus not giving 100% of my attention. I said I had a tendency to do that as a bad habit, and it's one that I'm working on getting rid of.

She said "well, if u know it, then stop doing it ... and don't make me move your cubicle next to mine."

So I feel slightly better... I'm not exactly out of the clear as the report *still* hasn't been opened yet (and not for another 2 days).

we'll see how it goes... thank you all for being here with me during this stressful time!

That is very honest of you to admit to something not even knowing what is in the report. Not a lot of people would do that, they'd just wait to find out and take it from there. It's obvious your manager isn't too concerned about it, so she must feel you do good work.

Great. Better for your manager to know today than later, you showed a lot of confidence. Just don't do it next time and you'll be fine. :)

To me being honest like that was very admireable :)

I think you will be fine for wednesday :p

I felt happy reading this thread today, and that's a rare thing for me :) :) Thank you all for your support and encouraging words!

Good to hear that you were open about it to your manager.

That was very honest, and very brave of you as well all things considered.

So I hope it all works out for you, in fairness even though you were stressed and upset, you still did the right thing.

Your being proactive and wanting to deal with work related concerns is admirable. The job I work at is Union and it sickens me to see some of the individual's I work with be the laziest dogfuckers going but be quick to place a grievance over imagined slights.

I'm impressed with your integrity +1

Latest posts

Back