My support worker is quite unreliable?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dannyr22

She seems to cancel on me every other week.

Trouble is I don't want to change as she is already my 3rd support worker in 2012! Goes to prove I can be stubborn & very unwilling in some things.

She has helped with quite a few things, like arranging my evening classes, but I still think she can do much more for me. The company is called Stonham (UK) & when you are reffered to them you go through lots of things you need help with.

I try to think how to tell her how I feel about the situation but my confidence/mind lets me down

Just be honest with her, tell her you don't feel you're getting what you need out of the arrangement.

Get me in on direct payments. I can do all ya personal care ;)

But nah ya gots to speak up for yourself or some of them will take the piss. See it all the time.

And you are stubborn anall ;)

Bob Arctor said:
Just be honest with her, tell her you don't feel you're getting what you need out of the arrangement.

Yeah I hope I can 'spit it out', so to speak.

Poguesy said:

But nah ya gots to speak up for yourself or some of them will take the piss. See it all the time.

You would not be able to cope with me :p but yeah the last bloke took the piss didn't like him much

dannyr22 said:
Bob Arctor said:

Yeah I hope I can 'spit it out', so to speak.

Poguesy said:

You would not be able to cope with me :p but yeah the last bloke took the piss didn't like him much

You're a whimp compared to my guys man ;)

Hi, this is a difficult issue. It is easy to advise you to tell your support worker how you feel, but at the same time when you are the one on the receiving end of the support, you are in the weaker and more vulnerable position, while she holds all the cards, so to speak. In an ideal world you would be able to tell it as it is and then get the greater level of support you need, but in this world you might end up by being seen as demanding. I do NOT think this, but regretfully many professionals do not like to be pulled up (even when, as in this case, they deserve to be.) My counsellor has missed a lot of sessions and I would like to say to her when she says something like 'you have had forty sessions' that actually I haven't as she has missed at least a third of them.

Yeah I have no idea how to put it to her atm. What with my extremely low mood lately I will just have to try & ask her for a little more input or sumat

Yes, think about it carefully and maybe even jot down some ideas of what you could say. Maybe wait till you feel a bit less low, as I know that when I feel low and emotional, I could go over the top and say things I wouldn't say at other times.

SophiaGrace said:
Get a new support worker. :l

I always found "service users" having too many different support workers 'causes negativity and gives no proper structure.

Should really try and stick it out with one now that i think about it but if truly not getting anywhere change.

Dan be his own man though ;)

Poguesy said:
SophiaGrace said:
Get a new support worker. :l

I always found "service users" having too many different support workers 'causes negativity and gives no proper structure.

Should really try and stick it out with one now that i think about it but if truly not getting anywhere change.

Dan be his own man though ;)

Yeah SophiaGrace it's best I try to stick with my current one for now she deals with lots of seriously ill people so if I just explain that I need more support, & to try a certain time frame on medication again.

The structure of the nhs is crap, but she is with stonham who seem a little more organised. As Tiina63 says I have to work out what to tell her, which I will have by wednesday

Latest posts

Back