Facebook..I wanna try something stupid/interesting

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzybutt

Reaction score
Well looks like I'm gonna be spending a lot of time on this forum. I'll try not to make this a thread that introduces me. I still have a fear of letting too many people know I post here.

I have maybe 46 friends on Facebook. I'd say maybe 7-10 are family members. Two to 3 are close friends and I know doing this will worry them to some extent.

I want to tag everyone I haven't spoken to in more than 2 years in a post asking what they think about adding old "friends" from high school and just having them there and never saying a word to them all this time.

Do they let them linger there in case one day either party decides to say hello? Do they wish to catch up with them someday? When does that day come?

Do they let them linger there in case they run into them in real life and it makes it less awkward? Maybe a quick hello will suffice because you already know what your friends have been up all these years to based on facebook statuses?

To be fair I have messaged a few of these persons I haven't spoken to. I think I even invited one to join me for a game at a park. No go :/

dont take it so seriously.
its just facebook.
most of the facebook friends are just numbers.
(oo look i got 300 friends whoohoo.)

its usefull and fun with your real friends and family, for the rest it doesnt meen anything.

I have a tonne of friends like this. Basically the only reason they're still on there is that they might occasionally post something interesting that I'll look at but not respond to, or so I can periodically look at what they're doing and go "... huh." Apart from that, no contact whatsoever. I mainly use it to keep track of other people's events and to share cat photos and dumb stuff like that. Which I'm totally alright with.

It would be the same way if facebook didn't exist. Maybe I'd be looking at all the numbers in my phone going, "Why do these people never call?!" Or looking at their addresses in my organizer going, "Why do they never write?!" Maybe it's inevitable that people drift apart.

From what I've seen though, everyone is in roughly the same boat, at least with my old crowd. They have more friends than they could feasibly communicate with regularly and a few friends that they are really close with and use facebook to interact with. The only difference being that I no longer do it with any of my old school friends. From my perspective, maybe one day I'll bump into one of them and the bond we had from growing up together will be rekindled - so I'll just keep them all on my 'friendslist' just in case the need arises, or at the very least not to burn any bridges.

Also sometimes friendships are just like that. One of my best friends in the whole world is someone I never have contact with on facebook. We're like brothers and we'd pretty much do anything for each other ... but it's not the kind of friendship that does well on facebook, and both of us are fine with that. This was kind of a rambling post from me but I figured I'd just share some thoughts on the matter. What you want to try isn't something I'd personally do, suffice it to say.

Thanks for the advice guys. It's just that the majority of the people on my friends list are people I shared a class with for maybe 1-2 years before finishing high school and we got along great. I understand what you mean about drifting apart. It is inevitable.

I won't burn any bridges then.

people drift apart becuase of sites like this!

my killed off account was proof, it makes people even more unsociable most of the time

They keep you as a friend and vice versa (if you're honest) because it keeps the friend number up. I've got a about 20 FB "friends" from school that I never speak to.

Then there are those who just friend request anyone the meet, and have updards of 300 friends. It makes them appear popular.

dannyr22 said:
people drift apart becuase of sites like this!

my killed off account was proof, it makes people even more unsociable most of the time

That's what I figured. Because your friends have photos and facebook statuses of what they've been up to, I guess it encourages certain friends to remain quiet. Just read, acknowledge, and continue with your own life.

^very nice vid Phaedron. I'd love to deactivate the living honeysuckle outta that but I still need it... tough I don't log on as often anymore.

That video made a lot of sense to me. Especially near the end. The thing is I have a lot of cousins in another country who use it. It's hard to communicate to them because of fees that need to be payed. So unless they all have some kind of chat client it would be hard.

It's a difficult choice to just delete my account but then again of my cousins I only speak to 3 regularly on facebook. They too just added me and never said much even though I know that if I payed them a visit we'd all have a little happy crying fest. Maybe I should initiate conversations?

Yea before I do anything drastic I'm gonna initiate conversations one last time and see who wants to look for me.

I don't take facebook that seriously. All I do is post jokes mostly. And some people at work write comments and a bit of banter goes back and forth. And that's it. I have 27 friends on there, mostly family, co workers or people I used to work with.

I think if someone 'likes' your comments or writes messages on your wall it doesn't mean a great deal. They don't want to jump you.

It's good to have a nose around and find out stuff as well !

I know of this. What I have done is simply make 2 FB accounts. One has the people I actually talk to whilst the other has everyone else who wants to add me. I talk on both of course. I just don't mix them as I don't want to see a lot of peoples random status'.

Latest posts

Back