Left Facebook the other day (yet another dis on FB)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnome3

Reaction score
Yes, I finally took the plunge, and cancelled my FB account. I've got a few reasons for doing so, but most can guess those. It actually takes a few weeks to cancel out from what I understand as they put a time on the cancellation - just in case I change my mind.
How do I feel post cancellation? A little lonely. I do have a myspace account, but nobody uses that any more, really. All I can say is that I am still alive, so I suppose that there is life after Facebook.

If I lived nearby I would throw you a party. FB is full of the worst kind of women too, the kind that obsess over it. Shallow hearted chattle with herd mentality.

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

[video=youtube]

Phaedron said:
If I lived nearby I would throw you a party. FB is full of the worst kind of women too, the kind that obsess over it. Shallow hearted chattle with herd mentality.

Lol! Thanks, Phaedron, but no party necessary. I do have some great friends on FB - both genders, and also some pretty shallow ones who either post mindless crap or simply never hit the Like button or comment at all. This is one of the reasons I'm cancelling. I must have 189 FB friends, and maybe 10 of those max ever correspond with me. I often wonder why the other 179 ever wanted to be FB friends at all. I never hear anything from them.
I would just unfriend them all (except those who actually correspond), but then I would have 179 people pissed off at me. It's just easier to cancel my account, and let them think different.
Other reasons for cancelling are the privacy (or non-privacy) issues with Big Brother, all the intrusive requests/apps., the new timeline bs... I could go on & on. I'm really over it now.

@ Sophia: It seems that there's a waiting period. Here is an excerpt from a blog:
( http://romcartridge.blogspot.com/2010/04/how-to-delete-facebook-account.html )
"Although your things will disappear from Facebook once you have done that, to finish the deletion process you will have to avoid logging in to your account during the next 14 days. After that period of time your information will be no longer available, never again."

One, yes it takes a while, and no, they never fully get rid of your profile either.

Two, a lot of people here leave Facebook.

And three, it is not full of the worst kind of women, thank you very much. Yes, I use Facebook. No, I'm not one of the worst kind. Keep your biased, assumed, overly done opinions to yourself. No one cares that you have a problem with Facebook. Don't like it? Don't bother with it.

Hey Nilla. We all have problems with many different things going on in our lives. Mine just so happens to be my frustration with Facebook at the moment for which I am doing something about. If I care to share this current situation on the Lonely Life forums, I have that right. Apparently there are some here that DO care - or are at least interested in "my problem". I base this assumption by the feedback it has received. Hell, even you cared enough to actually drum up your own reply. Please don't take it personal. It wasn't directed at you. Everyone has their own experiences with Facebook, and I'm sure that there are those here that think that FB is full of a bunch of numb-headed, egotistical hound dogs looking for a meat market.
What I'm trying to convey is this; If you enjoy Facebook, that's great. All the power to you! For myself, it has become a problem that's seriously doing a number on my head. I should have the right to express that on this forum WITHOUT FEAR OF BEING CENSORED IN DOING SO. I merely bring this up here due to my departure from FB triggering feelings of loneliness, and isn't that what this forum is about?

My reply wasn't towards you, Gnome. It wasn't really towards anyone. It was towards the horrid assumption that some people decided to make.

I am going to be sorely offended if either of you presume to know me or my intentions by assuming that this reply has anything to do with anything at all.

VanillaCreme said:
My reply wasn't towards you, Gnome. It wasn't really towards anyone. It was towards the horrid assumption that some people decided to make.

Understood Nilla. Sorry for my error in interpretation - your main point being that there are many great people on Facebook, both men & women alike. I certainly agree.
*Additionally, may I add that the videos that Phaedron posted on this subject are quite interesting, informative, alarming, and bring to surface much truth.

I've quit facebook a bunch of times because I would sit there, combing through other peoples party pics/accomplishments and feel like a total dunce. Every time I left I had this light feeling of disconnecting with the world and it's stupid social requirements.

May be of interest:
[video=youtube]

roguewave said:
I've quit facebook a bunch of times because I would sit there, combing through other peoples party pics/accomplishments and feel like a total dunce. Every time I left I had this light feeling of disconnecting with the world and it's stupid social requirements.
May be of interest:
[video=youtube]

Yes, I feel like that too. At this moment.

Well done to you OP eventually you will never miss the crap again.

I have been off it permenantly for half a year now, best move I ever made. I only joined in the first place to try keep in touch with family/people I knew for years. However they all were unsociable & boring so had I known that I would have never joined in the 1st place.

Says alot that I had to use that social fixer app for chrome just to remove most of the crap features on it. As for the rest well that has gotten worse apparently. Your privacy is not a concern for fb, look at the website tracking they do!

My last moan about it is these horrible pages created dissing dead people or horrible disasters etc are never deleted by the admins until they get lots of media attention, proof that it's all about the money for fb staff. If somebody made a disgusting page like those on here, for example, I am sure they wud be banned & it wud be gone straight away

SophiaGrace said:
I thought they cancelled it immediately.

Since I have to periodically delete "my" account, I know the process is that it takes 14 days.

I say "my" because i don't create the account. Someone in another state or country does and I have to go in and delete it.

You want to know what's scary about Facebook. If you don't have an account, someone else can create one with your e-mail address. They can then find out all the people you know in real life and online.

I'll always keep it. I get annoyed sometimes though. It's interesting to see when some women totally ignore everything you write and they share banter left, right and centre with others. Often if I leave a comment on a woman's post and some other guy writes something (which gets 'liked' of course), I delete my message. I feel 'I won't get in the way'

I have one woman who i work with who writes alot on my posts / comments. She 'likes' alot of my stuff too.

There seems alot of real life to facebook. One minute a woman is into you and bombarding you with attention and then they lose interest and whatever you do, she isn't interested anymore.

Well, it's been a week now since I deleted my account. People have noticed to some degree as I usually would post something on there every day. I do miss some of the interaction I had on there, but for the most part there's a sense of relief. I never played any of the games on FB. I never played Farmville, Mafia Wars, or any if the other ones. I only posted & commented. I never allowed any of the apps that "friends" would send me invites to. I may have allowed 3 or 4 of the most legit apps, but that was it.
So I'm half way though with the deletion process. Another week to go. Not sure what happens at that point. Maybe Facebook sends me a warning email or something. Who knows.

you don't get a warning e-mail. the account just vanishes.
well as long as you don't try to log into it before it vanishes.

I personally love Facebook, but that's just me, it seems.

I have an Uncle who will not join, no matter what. And I have two friends who never log on, and some who rarely post.

blackdot said:
you don't get a warning e-mail. the account just vanishes.
well as long as you don't try to log into it before it vanishes.
Thanks for the heads-up on the protocol, blackdot.
I still have my Youtube & myspace accounts. A tad bit of bs there, but nothing like FB.

I feel exactly the same as some of you. I've left FB in the past for feeling like the odd one out, out of most of my 'Friends' But to be honest I know that we're not all the same. We've all had different experiences to one-another and that wont change. I am on FB now but if I don't like what I see then I just go away for a bit lol

Latest posts

Back