Loneliness and money

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unwanted94

Reaction score
Lately, I have been really into online shopping and just spending money in general. I wish I were the type that never spends anything, but I'm not. I want to start saving money, but it seems like it'll never happen. :/
Time for a new hobby, maybe?

How about you?

Money burns a hole in my pocket. I've tried saving up, but it's amazing how many things pop up that you must have when you are trying to save. My loneliness isn't really a factor in my spending.

Godspeed.
LK

I've run into some problems with it... I wouldn't say loneliness did it -- but there is definitely some kind of "high" you get when you buy stuff on a whim.

Buyer's remorse sucks, lol.

I've gotten a grip on it, for the most part.

I'm not sure how loneliness and spending money correlate.
i guess loneliness can have a say on what you consume. maybe some people will get relief out of shopping, or drinking, or paying an online dating service or such but really ,spending your hard earned money on things that make you feel better is just natural i think, anyone who can afford anything does it.
i'm usually a very careful spender :Dso the answer is no, it doesn't make me spend more money that i otherwise would. now being popular and going out every saturday night, that would burn your wallet after awhile

I save money actually because I don't go out much. And I'm not really a buyer. I buy just what I need when I have to. Like comics/books I like a lot (I'm filled with comics/books so I'm buying less, they take too much spece) ,tickets to shows, clothes.. I'm not that big spender.

I know loners that have rooms full of toys/plushies. Friends and there was also an 'anime freak' on some website who had his room completly covered in anime girls's posters. Celing included! and you know, some toys, sheets, pillows; all with big eyed girls... In the past I bought toys but then I relized it was quite pathetic so I stopped. I just got a few, Homer, Burns, Felix the cat, some nintendo dudes and some anime characters. They are a reminder of times when I wanted to cover up my emptiness with stuff...

I always wondered about the anime stuff. I always figured that anime caused people to be lonely, not that lonely people watched anime.

Limlim said:
I always wondered about the anime stuff. I always figured that anime caused people to be lonely, not that lonely people watched anime.

There arre plenty of sociable anime fans, it's just some of them who are too obsessed with it... and japanese culture.

I spend very little and I'm pretty lonely. The only things I ever really splurge on would be books. I don't buy tons of those though. Pretty much all of my activities are free or very cheap.

Unwanted94 said:
Lately, I have been really into online shopping and just spending money in general.

How about you?

Sure, you have to have something to spend your time or distract you from the fact that you're the only one in the room. But I'm not sure I can blame loneliness because I have this nice fantasy of finding a live-in to share expenses, and then I'll have even more money to expand my DVD collection! I just need to find a guy who loves or at least tolerates Italian giallos, and I'm all set.

I also wanted to add, when I did have friends and (ex) boyfriend -- I was usually the one paying for everything. I didn't mind it at all... until it was taken advantage of. You can only "forget your wallet" so many times or come up with so many excuses.

I'll admit... It was nice spending money for myself.

I tend to spend more, especially after a rough day I'll go buy something I don't necessarily need but cheers me up.

Yes, for me it has. I think sometimes when I am feeling lonely buying something that gives me a thrill is sort of a salve. It's a pleasure to fill myself up with when I don't have the other things. I dont' think it's necessarily morally bad....I think it's just a poor substitute. But I don't judge others who do the same whether it's drink, or whatever. The only problem I can think of is that it might make you less financially secure and it may distract you from the real problem of your life.

For me it's clothes, shoes, books, sometimes music, costume jewerly, fabric, etc etc

Ox Blood said:
I also wanted to add, when I did have friends and (ex) boyfriend -- I was usually the one paying for everything. I didn't mind it at all... until it was taken advantage of. You can only "forget your wallet" so many times or come up with so many excuses.

I'll admit... It was nice spending money for myself.

Ah, yes, fake friends. I've been there in a very big way. It used to be very bad, but I've learned not to put up with it.

I kind of like those days where I'm feeling like 'fresia it. fresia it all' and I'll just want to go buy something that I normally wouldn't buy just for the sake of it.

I don't spend money on myself and I don't spend money on needless things for my children. I will buy what is NEEDED, and if I have any extra, occasionally I will purchase something extra for them if they've been good and deserve a reward. I've always been this way, even when I wasn't lonely.

If I'm feeling depressed, yeah sometimes buying something seems nice. I have felt the addiction feeling of buying, but my guilt is more than that feeling so I don't do it. I like the idea of saving money better as well which helps.

Latest posts

Back