Straight A Student?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamGoldman

Reaction score
Seems like most of the shy teenagers characters in movies are very smart or perform really well in school (high grades)

I dunno about the smart thing,
but me grades are pretty high :p

how were your grades back in high school?

As a teenager, I was almost a 50/50 split between extroversion and introversion; however, it always defaulted to an INTJ.

My grades were consistently between an A-to B+ (3.2 to 3.6/4.0) in high school and Cs in junior high after deciding that i wanted to be something in life and taking college prep classes.

I was the first person in our county (and probably the entire state?) to attend a half day of high school and half day of college because I already had all of my credits for graduation by the end of the eleventh grade.

I had to work and study hard for it by obtaining special permission for taking two to four math and sciences classes in a year by giving up electives called block classes back then for shop, cooking, etc.

I was really two grades behind even though i passed the classes; but I had a teacher that believed in me, and she arranged for me to start college prep classes in the 8th grade.

She agreed to tutor me after school, I did yard work for her, and she was absolutely hot (still is) - so, i had a little extra motivation. :D

It was a great deal for me; and it was at a time, when something like this - tutoring at her house and doing yard work - was "permitted" without people questioning it.

She took a lot of flak for seeing my potential, risk her teaching job, ignoring my heritage, and no one said i could do it.

It was great going back to junior high and telling them i was accepted into college and showing my degree to them.

One teacher made a huge different in my life and my daughters as well because she will be attending college for the 11th and 12th grade instead of high school.

Thank you CW!!!

BTW, I called her about seven years ago after tracking her down on the internet and thanked her!!!

ps: The reason for being so far behind was due to being bi-racial and to some extent growing up poor because my parents were young, working, and going to colleage at the same time.

I pretty much got Straight As up until I finished my GCSEs (I think that's high school for the American system). During my A-levels (high-school/college equivalent) I started having all kinds of health and mental health problems... even then I still could've done well but I didn't apply myself. I managed to get a B in Art, Cs in Biology and Chemistry and a D in Physics. That's not bad, but I always felt like an underachiever and a disappointment. Of course, even if I *had* applied myself and gotten better grades, it wouldn't have changed a single thing that's happened since then.

I wasn't very good at school owing to lack of confidence, but I did shine academically when I went back to college in my early twenties. I think that being shy can help a person to do well academically as we are more likely to be at home studying instead of out partying. However, I wouldn't want to carry this argument too far as plenty of highly extraverted people do just as well at college too.

Of course there are non-shy geniuses :)

I think tho that there's a correlation between smartness/wisdom
and self awareness.

And that leads to shyness.

THoughts?

ajdass1 said:
During my A-levels (high-school/college equivalent)

I just did an A-level exam today (AS maths C2) and have one tommorow (AS physics unit 2)
:D
I think tho that there's a correlation between smartness/wisdom
and self awareness.

And that leads to shyness.

THoughts?
I think tthat might be true

I'm homeschooled, I study until I get 100% on everything. :)

In Middle School they were mostly Asbuns one or two Bs but I was severely depressed and suicidal at the time, I'm surprised I was able to even keep my grades at that level.

But anyway, we'll see how I do when I start school, it's a college thing, so I hope I get good grades lol.

Compared to everyone I was average. Compared to my two older brothers I was great lol. I think I got 7-8 A-C's~

I was shy but had average grades... good in some subjects, not the best in others.

I always have received average or below. In jr high/high school I rebelled silently by sleeping. A lot. Received mainly D's and C's, except in English classes. Now in college I work a little harder and seek out tutoring. I'm not as depressed as I once was, although I still have a sleeping problem. I'm looking at a 3.0 right now. However... this quarter has not been kind to me.

I've always been the straight A, bookworm kind of girl. Classes and courses from dawn til dusk, with some library time squeezed in-between all that. It rather killed my social life, but the scholarships, prizes and all the praise and recognition made up for that.

I'm terrible at small talk anyway (I'm never up-to-date regarding anything deemed "cool"), so only discussing all sorts of school-related things spared me some embarrassing moments.

Latest posts

Back