Bored to death...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phaedron

Reaction score
I'm so bored right now.... is it possible to die from boredom? I'm so bored I could just die. Surely boredom and death go hand in hand. Sure theres things I mean to do, but I can't bring myself to do any of them right now. It's times like these I feel the most useless and out of place. Here is an article that reflects this sense of emptiness:

http://www.everythingispointless.com/2007/05/boredom.html

Over the last few months I've been struck by an ever increasing boredom, and I've lost interest in many of the things that I once filled my time with. Everything is pointless, so what point in doing anything, and what fun is there to be had in existence, when it all comes to naught?

Quite aptly, I recently happened upon an interesting blog called Happiness & Philosophy, on which I discovered a link to an essay by Arthur Schopenhauer, called 'The Emptiness of Existence'. Some extracts will illustrate my current mood perfectly:

Of every event in our life it is only for a moment that we can say that it is; after that we must say for ever that it was. Every evening makes us poorer by a day. It would probably make us angry to see this short space of time slipping away, if we were not secretly conscious in the furthest depths of our being that the spring of eternity belongs to us, and that in it we are always able to have life renewed.

Reflections of the nature of those above may, indeed, establish the belief that to enjoy the present, and to make this the purpose of one’s life, is the greatest wisdom; since it is the present alone that is real, everything else being only the play of thought. But such a purpose might just as well be called the greatest folly, for that which in the next moment exists no more, and vanishes as completely as a dream, can never be worth a serious effort.

...That human life must be a kind of mistake is sufficiently clear from the fact that man is a compound of needs, which are difficult to satisfy; moreover, if they are satisfied, all he is granted is a state of painlessness, in which he can only give himself up to boredom. This is a precise proof that existence in itself has no value, since boredom is merely the feeling of the emptiness of life. If, for instance, life, the longing for which constitutes our very being, had in itself any positive and real value, boredom could not exist; mere existence in itself would supply us with everything, and therefore satisfy us. But our existence would not be a joyous thing unless we were striving after something; distance and obstacles to be overcome then represent our aim as something that would satisfy us—an illusion which vanishes when our aim has been attained; or when we are engaged in something that is of a purely intellectual nature, when, in reality, we have retired from the world, so that we may observe it from the outside, like spectators at a theatre. Even sensual pleasure itself is nothing but a continual striving, which ceases directly its aim is attained. As soon as we are not engaged in one of these two ways, but thrown back on existence itself, we are convinced of the emptiness and worthlessness of it; and this it is we call boredom. That innate and ineradicable craving for what is out of the common proves how glad we are to have the natural and tedious course of things interrupted. Even the pomp and splendour of the rich in their stately castles is at bottom nothing but a futile attempt to escape the very essence of existence, misery.

...If one turns from contemplating the course of the world at large, and in particular from the ephemeral and mock existence of men as they follow each other in rapid succession, to the detail of life, how like a comedy it seems!

It impresses us in the same way as a drop of water, crowded with infusoria, seen through a microscope, or a little heap of cheese-mites that would otherwise be invisible. Their activity and struggling with each other in such little space amuse us greatly. And it is the same in the little span of life—great and earnest activity produces a comic effect.

A comic effect indeed, but I'm not laughing. I'm bored and angry. Everything is pointless and like a universal acid, that knowledge reduces existence to the absurd. No ifs, no buts, and any arguments to the contrary are merely blah, blah, blah.

As far as I can see, the solutions are delusion, boredom or death, and given those choices, I can't decide which, if any, is the best (or worst). I've tried delusion, and it's over-rated. Suicide seems rather drastic (although very effective at eliminating angst and boredom). And boredom is a kind of torture (one I personally find quite unbearable for anything but the shortest of times).

I could have written "everything is pointless" since I have had the same thoughts.

How many times have I not googled "I am bored" or "I am going crazy" or "I am so lonely"
and it's amazing how many other people around the world seem to do the same.

Why can't we all meet up?

Life and society have to change, we have to change it somehow. Something is missing. The meaning of life, having a mission. What is it? Unite and party? Rebel? Form underground groups, us who feel alienated from society - unite and ..... and what?

The bordedom is lack of a mission in life. Some people work, to climb higher, to get more power, to win! Or to get money, to buy things, go places, explore, show off.
Some people like to help, they want to help a village somewhere, help kids, animals, the elderly, the poor, the homeless, the lonely and so on.

I don't know what I want. I want to make music. But it's boring on my own. I want to get on a rocket and fly around in space, go to a rave, get drunk, go for a picnic.

Lots of things - the problem is that I can't, because I have got no friends, and I don't know where to find people who wants to do these things with me.
Is that your problem to?

Most people live in relationships, it seems. At least from 30 yrs old. They are the smuggies, always together, always waiting for eachother, "got to go, xxx is waiting"
It is boring to hang with them.
Then there is the leftovers, who are too sad and too bothered, looking for someone. No one wants to be friends. No men can be friends with a single woman. I love male freinds, but they won't stop trying. I think something will have to happen.
We can't stay bored forever.
Something has got to give.
Going in to a lonely forum is something I am proud of, it's a start!

Phaedron said:
I'm so bored right now.... is it possible to die from boredom? I'm so bored I could just die. Surely boredom and death go hand in hand. Sure theres things I mean to do, but I can't bring myself to do any of them right now. It's times like these I feel the most useless and out of place. Here is an article that reflects this sense of emptiness:

http://www.everythingispointless.com/2007/05/boredom.html

Over the last few months I've been struck by an ever increasing boredom, and I've lost interest in many of the things that I once filled my time with. Everything is pointless, so what point in doing anything, and what fun is there to be had in existence, when it all comes to naught?

Quite aptly, I recently happened upon an interesting blog called Happiness & Philosophy, on which I discovered a link to an essay by Arthur Schopenhauer, called 'The Emptiness of Existence'. Some extracts will illustrate my current mood perfectly:

Of every event in our life it is only for a moment that we can say that it is; after that we must say for ever that it was. Every evening makes us poorer by a day. It would probably make us angry to see this short space of time slipping away, if we were not secretly conscious in the furthest depths of our being that the spring of eternity belongs to us, and that in it we are always able to have life renewed.

Reflections of the nature of those above may, indeed, establish the belief that to enjoy the present, and to make this the purpose of one’s life, is the greatest wisdom; since it is the present alone that is real, everything else being only the play of thought. But such a purpose might just as well be called the greatest folly, for that which in the next moment exists no more, and vanishes as completely as a dream, can never be worth a serious effort.

...That human life must be a kind of mistake is sufficiently clear from the fact that man is a compound of needs, which are difficult to satisfy; moreover, if they are satisfied, all he is granted is a state of painlessness, in which he can only give himself up to boredom. This is a precise proof that existence in itself has no value, since boredom is merely the feeling of the emptiness of life. If, for instance, life, the longing for which constitutes our very being, had in itself any positive and real value, boredom could not exist; mere existence in itself would supply us with everything, and therefore satisfy us. But our existence would not be a joyous thing unless we were striving after something; distance and obstacles to be overcome then represent our aim as something that would satisfy us—an illusion which vanishes when our aim has been attained; or when we are engaged in something that is of a purely intellectual nature, when, in reality, we have retired from the world, so that we may observe it from the outside, like spectators at a theatre. Even sensual pleasure itself is nothing but a continual striving, which ceases directly its aim is attained. As soon as we are not engaged in one of these two ways, but thrown back on existence itself, we are convinced of the emptiness and worthlessness of it; and this it is we call boredom. That innate and ineradicable craving for what is out of the common proves how glad we are to have the natural and tedious course of things interrupted. Even the pomp and splendour of the rich in their stately castles is at bottom nothing but a futile attempt to escape the very essence of existence, misery.

...If one turns from contemplating the course of the world at large, and in particular from the ephemeral and mock existence of men as they follow each other in rapid succession, to the detail of life, how like a comedy it seems!

It impresses us in the same way as a drop of water, crowded with infusoria, seen through a microscope, or a little heap of cheese-mites that would otherwise be invisible. Their activity and struggling with each other in such little space amuse us greatly. And it is the same in the little span of life—great and earnest activity produces a comic effect.

A comic effect indeed, but I'm not laughing. I'm bored and angry. Everything is pointless and like a universal acid, that knowledge reduces existence to the absurd. No ifs, no buts, and any arguments to the contrary are merely blah, blah, blah.

As far as I can see, the solutions are delusion, boredom or death, and given those choices, I can't decide which, if any, is the best (or worst). I've tried delusion, and it's over-rated. Suicide seems rather drastic (although very effective at eliminating angst and boredom). And boredom is a kind of torture (one I personally find quite unbearable for anything but the shortest of times).

It is like turning on a computer with no programs installed?

Where is the human data program bank? Anyone? Where can we download new programs for our bored brains?

Attachments

• UniversalConsciousness083009.jpg
    UniversalConsciousness083009.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 4
Bubbles said:
How many times have I not googled "I am bored" or "I am going crazy" or "I am so lonely"
and it's amazing how many other people around the world seem to do the same.

Why can't we all meet up?

Life and society have to change, we have to change it somehow. Something is missing. The meaning of life, having a mission. What is it? Unite and party? Rebel? Form underground groups, us who feel alienated from society - unite and ..... and what?

The bordedom is lack of a mission in life. Some people work, to climb higher, to get more power, to win! Or to get money, to buy things, go places, explore, show off.
Some people like to help, they want to help a village somewhere, help kids, animals, the elderly, the poor, the homeless, the lonely and so on.

I don't know what I want. I want to make music. But it's boring on my own. I want to get on a rocket and fly around in space, go to a rave, get drunk, go for a picnic.

Lots of things - the problem is that I can't, because I have got no friends, and I don't know where to find people who wants to do these things with me.
Is that your problem to?

Most people live in relationships, it seems. At least from 30 yrs old. They are the smuggies, always together, always waiting for eachother, "got to go, xxx is waiting"
It is boring to hang with them.
Then there is the leftovers, who are too sad and too bothered, looking for someone. No one wants to be friends. No men can be friends with a single woman. I love male freinds, but they won't stop trying. I think something will have to happen.
We can't stay bored forever.
Something has got to give.
Going in to a lonely forum is something I am proud of, it's a start!

I'd get on a rocket and fly around in space, go to a rave, get drunk, go for a picnic with you anytime.

John Lennon said: "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..."

I think there is a lot of truth in that, I used to spend far too much time thinking about getting to a point in the future where I'd be happy rather than learning to enjoy the moment more. My happiest moments are probably now spent doing very little, just reading a book or enjoying a lull from the day to day rushing about at work and running round tidying at home.

We are essentially just caged on this ball of rock in the middle of nowhere for our whole lives. I can run around the rock for a while and take a look around but I will never know the answers to the 'big questions' of our existence. Its hard to have to admit that I will never get to see images of a distant worlds with my own eyes and I will probably die knowing little as to where or why the Universe came about and how life emerged. But to know I am just a tiny speck of nothing that existed for a fraction of time and that I am completely insignificant outside my immediate world is healthy as it allows me to concentrate on things closer to home, the immediate, the here and now and make the most of the time granted to me. Just to be alive and healthy and to have looked outward and to have wondered a while and seen my kids born and grow and to fall in love and to have swam in the sea or felt the sun on my back and to be just sat here in a free country with a free cup of coffee is pretty awesome really but its human nature to always want more, its a bit greedy when you think about it. I mean how much more do people want before the boredom goes or the need to see something new abates? It’s all just reinventing the wheel and new experiences are not really new as such, they are just different ways of inducing the same raw emotions of excitement, fear, wonder, happiness that we have been experiencing our whole lives.

I think life's not so much about finding answers to questions but learning to let go of them and just enjoying the time you have as best you can.

Ha, I just read that back I think someone has slipped some acid in my coffee. Oh well I guess I'm in a content mood at the moment. :)

I find life boring lately too and no ambition to do any project. Everything just feels like a chore, whether hobby or anything else. Never was this way before but before I had friends and was always busy. At one time I could stand being alone but now I can't. I am alone and I am bored, bad combination. My only outlet is the internet, but even that gets boring after a while. Wish there was a way to get rid of boredom. Been thinking of ways to meet new people even. If I had a couple of real good friends I wouldn't be bored.

Latest posts

Back