Physical health and confidence

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a question about health and confidence.

I am diabetic, and when my 'blood sugars' are within normal range, I am an extremely confident person.

I have struggled with being confident for ages because I just couldn't figure out what went wrong: I felt horrible most of the time because I didn't take good care of my diabetes. What happens is that, when I have low blood sugar, I feel very feeble and shaky or when I have a high blood sugar, I feel really tired and I also start slouching. My body doesn't do what I want it to do and my confidence vanishes into thin air.

I realise that's not surprising considering what it feels like, but it is really annoying because I am actually very confident, except when I lose control like this

Am I the only one that can't be confident when I feel like a mess? And I mean an utter, total mess: for instance, you haven't slept for six days straight, you're drunk and dirty, that's what it feels like when you have a bad blood sugar.

I am really angry about my physical state of being... I am not a shy, insecure person but I am with bad blood sugars.

What do you need to feel confident in a social situation?

Let others know you are diabetic and then they will understand when you are in a 'mess.' They should be helpful and supportive, and this will help you feel more confident even at your worst.
I have friends who are diabetic and one told me that once she was in a cafe and her hands were shaking and she couldn't speak very clearly as she was having a hypo. The lady serving at first thought she was on drugs, but my friend managed to explain she was diabetic and the lady immediately got her tea with sugar to bring her sugar up again.

I don't know much about diabetes, but I know enough about my own health and related state of mind to know that I function best in mind and body when I eat and drink healthy foods and drinks.
Being a male, I place great emphasis on my physical capability and I would be devastated if my health deteriorated significantly.
So I try and eat regular, small, healthy-ish meals and keep hydrated aswell.
This affects my confidence aswell, in a good way.
Learning about food nutrition, good and bad has probably been the most important factor in my recovery from depression and lack of confidence I would say.

Make-up. Or fake-up. Whatever you want to call it.

I wear wigs/hairpieces (that match my hair-color) because my hair has been falling out dramatically and I got tired of the "your hair looks thinner", "is that a bald spot?" remarks.
I wear false eyelashes.
I wear a ton of make-up (but opt for natural tones -- nothing flashy). If I don't... My skin looks lifeless. People comment on how "sickly" I look.
I sometimes get french tips on my nails. Makes them pretty and prevents me from chewing the hell out of them.

All of this makes me sound grossly vain. Kind of eats me up inside that I have to put so much effort just to look approachable. Sometimes I do it to distract from the fact that I am ill and don't want to be called out on it constantly.

Ox Blood said:
Make-up. Or fake-up. Whatever you want to call it.

I wear wigs/hairpieces (that match my hair-color) because my hair has been falling out dramatically and I got tired of the "your hair looks thinner", "is that a bald spot?" remarks.
I wear false eyelashes.
I wear a ton of make-up (but opt for natural tones -- nothing flashy). If I don't... My skin looks lifeless. People comment on how "sickly" I look.
I sometimes get french tips on my nails. Makes them pretty and prevents me from chewing the hell out of them.

All of this makes me sound grossly vain. Kind of eats me up inside that I have to put so much effort just to look approachable. Sometimes I do it to distract from the fact that I am ill and don't want to be called out on it constantly.

There's nothing wrong with presenting yourself nicely, people do it all the time, first impressions are very important. It shows how people think enough of themselves to make the effort.

Wow, I can really sympathize with you. Certainly, physical health has an enormous effect on self-esteem.

Personally, I just injured my toe and haven't been able to exercise much - already couldn't use my current bike due to knee issues, and now I can't run or walk long distances either, at least until I get some special shoes which will take at least a month. This has only been going on for 2 weeks, and already I feel worthless. I'm going to meet my friend who is a serious triathlete, and to be honest I don't even want to see her because I'm afraid I will feel jealous and either get whiny or come across as insincere, and alienate her (one of my few real friends). A toe sounds so insignificant, but it's totally derailed my months-long happy streak.

Have you been able to better control your blood sugar recently?

Sam_Wright_1988 said:
Am I the only one that can't be confident when I feel like a mess? And I mean an utter, total mess: for instance, you haven't slept for six days straight, you're drunk and dirty, that's what it feels like when you have a bad blood sugar.

Wow, that sounds like a terrible yucky feeling. That's why I am concerned whether you're feeling better. I don't have a solution yet for how to overcome this problem, except maybe to focus on work and build your self esteem through achievement. Since I can't follow a serious exercise program now, I will focus on studying for the summer. You can also do important things despite the diabetes. Also, I know this sounds new-agey, but accept your identity as a person with diabetes! There are lots of people who are worse off than you, who are very sick, disabled, etc. It's the healthy, happy people who are out and about and the most visible - try not to compare yourself to them! You'll feel powerless and frustrated. Just focus on your own capabilities and the things you would like to do.

@OxBlood - I feel really bad for you - it must be tough being seriously ill. I will be sending good wishes your way so you can get better! Don't even worry about make-up - it's your right to look nice! Even people who are already beautiful are not judged for wearing makeup, why should you be?

My son has type 1 diabetes so I know a bit about it. He constantly has to watch what he eats and watch his blood sugar. Then there is having to take needles. Some days he gets very sick. He's under a lot of stress trying to manage work and his diabetes. Even his insulin and needles are not covered.

I myself have partial paralysis in my legs and arthitis in my back,neck and hips. I also have tremors in my hands. I do the best I can. That's all I can do. Confidence can be a downer but I accept myself as I am. My advice is not to be so hard on yourself.

Latest posts

Back