A Lonely Life will be moving soon...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjarne

Reaction score
I will move this forum to a different server (the URL will stay the same), probably over the comming weekend. What this will means is that you will notice somewhere between 1 hour and 48 hours of downtime (depending on your ISPs DNS servers - for most people it should not be no more than a few hours I think).

What will happen is that the forum will be closed with a maintenance message telling what is happening, then when your ISP has updated the DNS info for the domain, you will start getting to the new server - which will contain the same forum and content, except it will be open there :)

The entire move process will be very safe - ie. if I fail badly setting it up on the new host I can just reopen the forum on this server again :)

why're we moving? Is the new server going to be better? Or does the old one cost too much?

LeaningIntoTheMuse said:
It's loading faster, I notice! :)

Tricked you! :-D Haven't actually moved it yet, I closed it down for a short while, then realized that it would take too long to transfer all files on my relatively slow internet connection.

However I will be conducting the move today (within a few hours) - I'm now at my workplace where we have a hella fast connection. 50 mbit download and 10 mbit upload :)

The site has now been moved to a different server.

The new server has a few more sites on it, including one fairly busy site - but it's in Danish and it has a different peak period - so they should co-exist very well :)

But also this server is considerably more powerful, much more RAM and CPU.

No need for downtime. Just provide the IP address until the DNS propogation is complete. Problem fixed.

Trent said:
No need for downtime. Just provide the IP address until the DNS propogation is complete. Problem fixed.

Won't work if it's a virtual site. Most places host multiple sites per IP address. While it's possible to edit your hosts file so that the FQDN will work, the better option would have been to reduce the TTL of the DNS A Record to 1800 seconds. Since most DNS servers recognize the TTL it would go stale after 30 minutes and need to be refreshed from the authoritative server.

Latest posts

Back