Contd. Discussion From Thread "God is a S.O.B."

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

ss7

IgnoredOne said:
God transcends Time, which to the best of my belief is a material entity.

So he is not coterminous with Time. Is this a change from your original stance about the relationship between god and time?

IgnoredOne said:
Propositional logic does not apply to the reality of God any more than propositional logic applied to material reality, where intelligent but ignorant philosophers created the five elements constitution of all matter. It may not be that our logic is inapplicable to God, but rather that we simply lack enough knowledge and information to apply the logic usefully.

What I am taking away from this is the simple statement that we do not know if logic can be applied to god. Since you have just rendered a tool that we regularly use to infer the truth content of statements uncertain in this situation, this means that a whole class of positive statements about god is now to be treated as suspect. This includes statements regarding his omnipotence, omniscience, and omnibenevolence.

For example, we can now say that god is both omnipotent and not omnipotent (which is illogical) and not know if we are correct. True?

If true, then how can we now make another propositional statement such as: "If God exists, then he is omnipotent." with any degree of certainty? In other words, all of god's properties are under a cloud of doubt now. True?

Please note that even belief has a degree of certainty (a probability value) associated with it--at least in the believer's mind. This probability is less than 1, but non-zero. If zero, then there is no belief. So what I just said above applies equally to beliefs about the properties of god, since they can also be forumulated as propositional statements.

IgnoredOne said:
I think I mentioned this in the very beginning. His purpose for humanity, among others, is that we have free will. Therefore, he permits us the faculty and the opportunity for such.

Is this purpose of his not under a cloud of doubt also? Take this propositional statement: "If God wants it, then we have Free Will." How can we be sure that whatever logic we apply to it says anything about its truth content? How indeed do we determine the truth content, if any, of that statement?

And besides, what is the distinguishing test? How do we distinguish, say, a deliberate limiting of omniscience from a real lack of omniscience? What is the test?

IgnoredOne said:
ss7 Wrote:
But not the result that will actually transpire from this near infinite set of results. Is this correct? There is a significant difference between a set of results, and a selection of a particular result from that set of results. So my question is really quite simple.

Fundamental to your statement here are many assumptions: that there must be a single result, that time flows in one direction, and that there is only one universe. I do not know if this is true or not. Working within the confines of all three of these assumptions, however, then God purposefully does not know result chosen.

Why just those assumptions? What about the assumption that time does not flow simultaneously in both directions, or that multiple universes do not converge and diverge at will at the junction points of causality and mess up my hair for no apparent reason?

These are not assumptions, IgnoredOne. These are speculation. If every speculation were mentioned and treated as assumptions before we made a statement, we would not make many statements. Besides, the Big Cheese, unlike you or I, presumably would not be constrained by these assumptions, even if they were not assumptions but reality, right? So how are these assumptions relevant in any way to my question?

Anyway, what I understand from your reply is that God does not know the result chosen, but that is on purpose. In other words, he chooses to limit his omniscience. In that case, to repeat what I asked above: What is the distinguishing test? How do we distinguish a deliberate limiting of omniscience from a real lack of omniscience? How do we know that god is not putting on a swagger and brazening it out?

IgnoredOne said:
ss7 Wrote:
It is neither common nor false.

Common, simply because such is the very definition of the term, and apparently accomodated every single atheist that I have known yet, not a small number, except for you.

I cannot argue with your experience, but I cannot deny mine either. My experience is quite different. So either you or I have misunderstood at least some of the atheists we've met. I'll explain below.

IgnoredOne said:
ss7 Wrote:
Atheism does not insist on the non-existence of anything.

1) From a purely dictionary standpoint,

a + theism = Greek prefix for "Not or Lack of" + "belief in existence of God or gods."

Therefore, it fundamentally follows that atheism means "Lack of belief in the existence of God," and therefore insists that God does not exist. A like analogy, then, is if I lacked belief in your existence, therefore I must be insisting to myself that you do not exist. The simple logic of this definition is obvious even in childhood stories, where "I do not believe in fairies" smoothly equals "I insist that there are no fairies."

Let me clear up one confusion, hopefully once and for all. Lack of a belief in the existence of something is not the same as saying that it is possible to prove the non-existence of that thing. That is why I said that atheism does not insist on the non-existence of anything, in response to your vigorous claim that atheists insist on the non-existence of an intelligent creator. Also, I asked you what "intelligent" meant?

Atheism cannot get into this sordid business of proving negatives and continue to be internally consistent. Lack of a belief in a claim simply amounts to rejecting that claim. That is it. There is no more. Anything else is meaningless arrogance that is doomed to fail.

The analogy of the child and fairytale is simple and incomplete. A little deeper digging is required. A more complete conversation would be as follows.

Atheist/Child: I do not believe in fairies.

Storyteller: Are you insisting that there are no fairies?

Atheist/Child: No.

Storyteller: I am confused. Why do you not insist thus?

Atheist/Child: I cannot prove the non-existence of fairies beyond statistical doubt. It is not possible to prove a negative if the domain of discourse cannot be bounded at the present time.

[Hey, don't look at me, this is one precocious child!]

Storyteller: So I can change your mind if I show you evidence of fairies beyond statistical doubt within the domain of discourse?

Atheist/Child: Of course, silly. I'm a child, not stupid.

IgnoredOne said:
This is a stronger position than agnosticism, which posits doubt but not lack of belief.

"Strength" is not a word I would use. A difference in agreement regarding the object of disbelief is closer to the mark. And even that is disputed and often confusing. I think that you are thinking of this so-called "strong atheism", and trying to generalize that to an atheist position. My advice: Don't. It's a hornet's nest of disagreements and confusion. Even I don't go there.

There is dispute about where the line between agnosticism and atheism should be drawn. In my mind, if the object of disbelief is properly defined, then either the differences disappear, or agnostics become theists. In short, the distinction between agnostics and atheists is at best a laboured one.

IgnoredOne said:
2) From the viewpoint of the fluid definition of terms as its common utilization, in this case the definition of a group, then it logically follows that the majority beliefs of the definition's avowed adherents.

Dangerous assumption to make. We have not yet reached consensus on what this "majority belief" is. Let us not get ahead of ourselves.

IgnoredOne said:
"But it cannot have been the sort of God that we need to explain the origin of the universe, because it cannot have been there that early." - Richard Dawkins, a major atheist thinker.

I've read this interview. Here Dawkins was saying that biological evolution and intelligence have a relationship. Intelligence comes later in the evolutionary stage. That is the observation. He then gets to talking about an alien intelligence within this universe, in some galaxy, who might appear as god to us. He is not talking about a conventional tri-omni god here. Like so:

"Maybe somewhere in some other galaxy there is a super-intelligence so colossal that from our point of view it would be a god. But it cannot have been the sort of God that we need to explain the origin of the universe, because it cannot have been there that early."
--Richard Dawkins

IgnoredOne said:
"Religious belief is a destructive force that causes far more harm than good." - Free Inquiry, the major North American publication of the atheistic organization Council for Secular Humanism.

I don't know how I personally would quantify the harm and good that comes from religious belief. So I consider this quote quite unfortunate. But how is this quote relevant to atheists insisting on the non-existence of an intelligent creator? You really must explain things more to me, you know.

By the way, can you point me to the original source of this quote? I have certain thoughts on the effects of the successive waves of Islamic invasions of India and Iran and I want to see if there is any sort of data or references in the original article.

IgnoredOne said:
"If God created time and space, he must live outside of time and space. Therefore, he is nonexistent." - American Athiests, the major political special interest group of athiesm.

This does not just seem unfortunate, but downright weird. I don't know how anyone could say that without blushing. If I were to massage the quote thus: "If God created time and space, he must live outside of time and space. Therefore, he [can be] nonexistent [in time and space].", then that would still sound more consistent than what is actually quoted. As it stands, it sounds like rubbish. Once again, can you point me straight and true to the original source? I am intensely curious.

IgnoredOne said:
One is certainly free to reject all of these as just quotes from a speaker, a magazine, and a political group, but that's approximately as meaningful as stating that the modern-day Democratic party does not stand for belief in expanding social services, providing abortion rights, and reformation to address perceived social inequalities, simply because the definition of the Democratic party is not necessarily confined by any of these positions. The meaning of a group is defined by the actions and thoughts of its included adherents.

I assure you, no rejecting will be done. Everything will be examined to the point of pain.

I am not that guy.

IgnoredOne said:
ss7 Wrote:
Who has computed the likelihood of a random emergence of a cell in the known universe?

Sir Fred Hoyle, Chandra Wickramasinghe. Evolution from Space:A Theory of Cosmic Creationism Simon & Schuster, 1984.

"The chance that higher life forms might have emerged in this way is comparable with the chance that a tornado sweeping through a junk-yard might assemble a Boeing 747 from the materials therein... I am at a loss to understand biologists' widespread compulsion to deny what seems to me to be obvious." ("Hoyle on Evolution", Nature, Vol. 294, 12 November 1981, p. 105)

Since life is dependent on at least 2000 different enzymes, Hoyle found the chance of obtaining the required set of enzymes for even the simplest living cell was one in 10^40,000. The number of atoms in the known universe is estimated to be infinitesimally tiny by comparison (10^80).

Ah, the Hoyle Fallacy. IgnoredOne, are you familiar with a web site called TalkOrigins? Here is a link: http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/abioprob.html. Please read carefully, go through the list of references at the end, and pay particular attention to the last sentence when you read the article.

Also by the way, where is the tornado-sweeping-junk-Boeing probability in Hoyle's calculations? To compare two quantities, you actually need both quantities, no?

IgnoredOne said:
ss7 Wrote:
Are you saying that we should all be agnostic to everything? Strictly speaking, I might not have a problem with that. Does this include being agnostic to the possibility of god, then?

Certainly, why not? That's what I do, and keep an open mind.

Good, this is progress.

IgnoredOne said:
Then you'll be surprised how many scientific theories have been, essentially, falsified but still remain in use or popularity. The Laws of Thermodynamics come to mind; the primary purpose of science has been utiliarian rather than explicatory and so as long as it is generally true, it can find wide acceptance.

It takes very little to suprise me. So there is a tremendous chance that I will be suprised. So tell me, what about the Laws of Thermodynamics comes to your mind?

IgnoredOne said:
You have an idealized view of science that I lack, having quite a few family within academic communities. It fails to take in account that most scientists are as human as us, and become very attached to their theories - helped significantly that their grant money invested to investigate a theory tends to only keep coming if evidence can be implied to support the theory. Scientists, then, have a vested interest in proving their theories, and it takes little imagination to see how it can provide slant.

This doesn't mean that I reject the scientific process, but I think that sometimes laymen overestimate the ability of researchers to avoid prejudice. They don't. Scientists are as falliable as any of us, only with more influence thanks to, ironically, due to faith in them.

There are very few things that I have an idealized view of. Scientists might have a vested interest in protecting their theories, but that does not protect their precious theories from scrutiny by other scientists. I realize that the system is not perfect, and no one here has claimed that.

Even scientists don't pretend that they are free from prejudice, let alone the irrelevant impressions of laymen. Why do you think we have things like experimental controls and double blind tests?

IgnoredOne said:
ss7 Wrote:
You cannot ask a question of me and then generalize it to atheists. Now that is a real fallacy. Of composition, I believe. My personal answer follows.

Actually, its the opposite, if you pay attention to the question. I'm asking a question of you, generalizing from the group. The general to the specific, which is usually found acceptable by most debaters, or at least far more than the converse. This is a potential ecological fallacy(misapplication of many to one), but I feel I tried to use it as appropriately as possible to allow for exceptions.

Either:

1. You had already decided that the behaviour of atheists online is monolithic, in which case the question was redundant. No fallacy there, just rhetoric.

2. Or, the question was genuine in which case any answer I gave would be generalized to atheists because the actual text of the question mentioned "atheists", and not "ss7".

Is this becoming clear to you now?

IgnoredOne said:
A belief is an assumed truth. Therefore, all truths, including this one, is a belief. I firmly believe in the previous two sentences, which significantly helps explain why I postulate and explore rather than seek to prove.

I think of it a little differently. I think that if the probability of something being so or something happening thus is 1, then it is no longer belief. It is certainty or foreknowledge, as the case may be. If the value is zero, then it is impossible. If the value lies between 0 and 1, exclusive, then it is belief. The question now simply reduces to determining the probability, or the strength, of our various beliefs. The scientific method is the best tool for assigning these probabilities so far that I know of.

IgnoredOne said:
Actually, you are not so much the odd one out. You have demonstrated a great deal more faith already than me, for example, albiet in a different direction. The infallibility of peer review, the universality of symbolic logic, and the existance of a single universe for a few examples.

I think that a free market is the best way of organizing an economy, but I don't think that a free market is immune to market failures. Similarly I like the idea of peer review but I don't think that it is infallible. Why this simplistic assumption that my sense of skepticism does not extend beyond the god-product, IgnoredOne?

I asked you if symbolic logic can be applied to god--a specific entity--not if it can be applied universally.

I did not postulate the existence of a single universe. I said that speculations of a multiverse is bad science at this point in time and space. There is a difference.

Your faith in my faith is really quite touching.

Latest posts

Back