"Start Menu" Icon Problems

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hey!:)

I'm having difficulty with my "Start" menu. Because of the large amount of icons such as the "CCleaner" Icon and "Malwarebytes" icon I have in the menu, a lot of other icons are not being displayed because there too many icons I use all the time.

Is there a way I can stick some of them in my system tray at the very bottom of the screen. That long black strip where the time is displayed at the very end, so that I can free up some space in my "Start" menu?

I use vista and Chrome.

Thank you for viewing.:)

The only thing I know you can do is pin things to the start menu. There is a way to pin them to the task bar but I dunno how >_<

I've never used vista but sometimes you can just drag and drop certain items.

You can right click on the program listing in the start menu and select "Add to Quick Launch."

By default Quick Launch only shows three icons with the >> to show the rest, but that can be changed if it is considered to be a problem.

When I switched to Windows 7, Microsoft had decimated the Start menu into something that's pretty much useless. Yet they kept telling us they didn't do anything to it no matter how much evidence we showed. After a while they gave in and said the way things worked in every version before Windows 7 caused a bug in Windows 7 and they weren't smart enough to know how to fix it so they just made the Start menu into the crap it is now.

What I use now is a free application called Fences (http://www.stardock.com/products/fences). Wonderful little app. Just use the free one. What it does it make your desktop into grouped section (fences). I can group games in one. Writing apps in one. Documents in one. etc..etc..etc..
I now use my desktop instead of the stupid Win 7 start menu.

There are also ways to pin things to the taskbar. Most people use the horrible "pin to" function and stick them on there. I use the old "Quicklinks" function that was removed from Win 7 by default but I think a registry setting will get it to return. (Yes, Microsoft found a way to some how remove every useful feature of Windows in Win 7 and replace them with crap.)

I actually like windows 7 :( I hate having things pinned to the task bar, I'll unpin them and either put a short cut on the desktop or pin them in the start menu.

Latest posts

Back