I'd probably rather die thanstop drinking.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAS

Reaction score
I'm a classified alcoholic and I have to see a psychologist next monday.

I just don't know how to say this.

*hugs* I'm really sorry... I hope your appointment leads to useful help and support! I'm really lucky that I simply don't have an addictive personality, but I know people who struggle with it terribly... Wishing you all the best <3

CAS said:
I'm a classified alcoholic and I have to see a psychologist next monday.

I just don't know how to say this.
I can relate CAS, which is why I'm sorry to hear about your problem. But if you don't stop drinking, you will die. You lose both ways. I applaud your effort to get help. It takes a tough person to give up things like liquor. You have to be willing to suffer in order to succeed. Please try your hardest to climb out of the bottle.

Should you feel tempted to drink, or just need to talk, please, by all means contact me, or some of the other members. They know what they're talking about and can be very helpful.

I have never understood how someone manages to become an alchoholic. The most I ever drank was in my teen years, and I drank to get drunk, to get slammed, sometimes two or three times a week. I don't drink these days, because I know what will happen. I'll get migraines, I'll throw up, I'll be dehydrated, overheated, and will always feel like honeysuckle the next morning. It's just not worth it for me to get drunk. I might have a beer or two once in a while, but thats it. If it's possible, substitute with weed, until you don't need it anymore. If they will let you do that.

My Father was an alchoholic. He went through one or two big bottles of Vodka every week, drink every day. Was rushed to the hospital for dehydration, lost his voice, wound up mixing nyquil with more alchohol while he had the flu, and in the very end he shot himself through the head.

If you get too dehydrated there is the danger you will form kidney stones, and I tell you right now they are one of the worst and most painful things to have happen. Women have said it is worse then being pregnant, men have said it is like giving birth to a pile of broken dishes. 10+ hours of nonstop pain, no matter what position you move around in.

Phaedron said:
I have never understood how someone manages to become an alchoholic. The most I ever drank was in my teen years, and I drank to get drunk, to get slammed, sometimes two or three times a week. I don't drink these days, because I know what will happen. I'll get migraines, I'll throw up, I'll be dehydrated, overheated, and will always feel like honeysuckle the next morning. It's just not worth it for me to get drunk. I might have a beer or two once in a while, but thats it. If it's possible, substitute with weed, until you don't need it anymore. If they will let you do that.

My Father was an alchoholic. He went through one or two big bottles of Vodka every week, drink every day. Was rushed to the hospital for dehydration, lost his voice, wound up mixing nyquil with more alchohol while he had the flu, and in the very end he shot himself through the head.

If you get too dehydrated there is the danger you will form kidney stones, and I tell you right now they are one of the worst and most painful things to have happen. Women have said it is worse then being pregnant, men have said it is like giving birth to a pile of broken dishes. 10+ hours of nonstop pain, no matter what position you move around in.
I'm am so Goddamn sorry to hear about your father Phaedron.:(

I'm sorry if this sounds rude but how does one get classified as an alcoholic?

Have you considered going to AA meetings? They are free.

Also how long have you been drinking?

I'm basically dependant on alcohol and I'm classified 'disabled' because of it. Might sound stupid.

I've tried A.A. meetings. They don't work and have recently been diagnosed with fatty liver disease.

I still somehow just need a drink.

I worry about my own drinking but don't know how it compares, I get pissed on a 10 unit bottle of cider twice a week, so I'm under the weekly limit but still....I know it's bad. You're still very young, and some people's bodies can be very resilient to alcohol, if you're young there's a good chance you can recover, don't think about death yet, just think about gradually cutting down, cutting the amount by a few units a week is a start....but I don't know how severe you're dependence is

CAS said:
I've tried A.A. meetings. They don't work ...

The meetings are just the fellowship. You have to do the work.

About AA, Don't they have sponsors who are very close to you?

My uncle drank from the age of 16 to 45.

Maybe this sounds old hat but within AA was the tradition to visit each other for support. He always had someone to call and apart from the meetings they played a lot of card games like Cribbage and Whist. The trick he told me was to keep himself constantly occupied and when he felt the need he would bang his fists against a wall and howl and then grab a phone and call someone.

He avoided all situations with alcohol and even non alcoholic sweets or drinks tasting vaguely like spirits. But first of all he decided he was worth living for! he fell back a couple of times but got up again and it was rough as all heck.

He became a driving school instructor which he and we all thought was funny considering he never had a drivers license until he gave up addiction.

i too struggle with alcohol...i have some good weeks and some bad...everyone's situation is different and it's difficult for those who do not struggle with it to 'relate' to it...you would think it would be simple...just don't drink...haa...if only, right...i'm here if you ever want to talk...keep your chin up...:)

I still don't understand how anyone can abuse alcohol... I mean... for one, the stuff doesn't taste that great,and the feeling from it isn't pleasant at all. I'd much rather be sober and deal with the pain than try to ease it with that.

Unwanted94 said:
I still don't understand how anyone can abuse alcohol... I mean... for one, the stuff doesn't taste that great,and the feeling from it isn't pleasant at all. I'd much rather be sober and deal with the pain than try to ease it with that.

I guess I'd suggest 'chemical dependency'.

on the topic of alcoholics: there's 20% (known) of those 'subject' to more alcohol abuse/addiction than the remaining part of society. it isn't genetic exactly, but some individuals have less neurotransmitters in the brain that effectively work to balance dopamine. these individuals must work harder to feel good and may be seen to overindulge in the top two pleasures of human instinct(food and sex) as well as over exercising (WHICH DOES RELEASE SOME SEXY DOPAMINE GUYS) and general "over indulgence" by society's standards...pinning these individuals as..."addicts" or by having "addictive personalities"...it's about understanding not labeling.

some reference crap if you wanna correct me:

http://www.macalester.edu/psychology/whathap/UBNRP/Dopamine/alcoholtobac.html

http://www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/aminobipolar.htm

My dad drank like a fish, his father before him and I have been taking shots before school since middle school to just take the edge of feeling like honeysuckle and dealing with people calling me the "rapists sister" and worse in high school :D
so yeah, i do drink, i've got a problem too i guess cuz i can binge for a week and then not have anything but crave chocolate or something the next. I know i can't do this honeysuckle because i've got a kid, too and yeah life's no good when that happens. believe you me though, if i had a job and wasn't forced to live in a trailer with a piece of honeysuckle just to survive...i believe i may be less apt to touch the bottle. but yes, also, excuses excuses. point of my post was just to say that some of us have to work harder to get the natural 'happy' many people's bodies already regulate and that's why it was assumed alcoholism was partially genetic.

If you don't quit then you can die. Fatty liver leads to fibrosis which leads to cirrhosis and cirrhosis is irreversible and you can die from that. The sooner you quit, the better. Hope this helps. Good luck !

I can actually relate to you. I was 25 when I started vomiting blood. Got to the hospital and was informed my ulcers were bleeding. This was still better than the things I was doing before i.e. iving drugs. Ive quit the iving and have been clean for 7 years now. One big thing about quitting all that was for me to find something I'm good at, and being appreciated for it. I realised there was more to life than doing that. I understood my worth and realised that I'd could do much more in life and had a lot to give.

Now I drink often but for two reasons, first because to ease of the loneliness and second because i can't get to sleep without. I often take a valium and drink half a pint of Vodka to go sleep. Ofcourse I've found a solution to my inability to sleep and that being swimming or some form of physical exercise but alcohol still has a sway over me.

I have also lost three girl because of my habit of drinking. Two of them being girls I loved. Alcohol really got me from being my usual introverted self to more of an extrovert and allowed me to open up myself to them and hence a conduit for me to express myself to those girl but I often could get mean when I was drunk and say mean and hurtful things and it was unfair to those girls who took all my honeysuckle. I don't drink like that now and I'm happy.

But I disagree that alcohol tastes bad. Single malts or Sherry or beer are some of the things I can't get enough of but I'm getting old now and can't continue all this. Anyway don't worry we can be support systems for each other.

Unwanted94 said:

Because you're looking at the substance and not the person.

Simples.

^Different people seem to react differently to the taste of alcohol or different alcoholic drinks. So it may be unpleasant to one, but really nice to the other, so I've learned.

Also.. this thread went dead about a year ago..... lol. But CAS, if you are even reading this, I do sincerely hope you're okay and hope that you try to do what's best for you and your family.

Latest posts

Back