Moving back in with parents

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashariel

Reaction score
So I've been living in my own apartment for the past 9 months, since separating from my husband. And it's been nice to have some time and space, to sort myself out.

But I've finally come to realize that I don't want to live alone forever. When I think about what sort of lifestyle would feel happiest for me, I always envision having some type of housemates, to at least not be completely alone.

And at this point in my life, I realize the best possible housemates for me would be my own parents. They love me, and understand that I have issues (primarily bipolar and autism) - and after being rejected by my husband, I'm grateful that someone in this world still loves me, and will take me in.

So I talked to my mom about it yesterday, and she was really happy about the idea too. My folks are 65 now, getting on in years, and could use help with housework, shopping, and definitely rent money, so it will be a good thing for all of us.

I feel so happy and at peace with this decision. I know it's not something a 'normal' person would consider the best possible arrangement; but I am not a normal person. I never want to be married again, and with my autism I really don't connect with people well (plus I have strange reclusive habits) - so I'm grateful beyond words to have parents who love me, and accept me, and that I'm not completely alone in this world.

The biggest challenge will be learning to integrate with the rest of my family, as I've been an outsider to all of them for the past 10 years. I haven't even joined them for Christmas or holidays, or seen my brother for years now (even though he lives in the same town) - so that will take some getting used to.

And I'll have to figure out how to set boundaries with my 5-year-old nephew, who I've barely ever laid eyes on. He's reported to be the most active child in the world, who demands everyone's attention 24/7, so that will be a challenge! I'm good with kids, but they quickly drain my energy, and I can't be around them for too long. I don't mind babysitting for about an hour a day, but I don't want to become his full-time 'nanny' - which could easily happen if I'm not firm about it!

All in all though, I'm looking forward to this move. My life has felt meaningless since my separation, and devoid of love; and like I said, I'm grateful to have a family who loves me, crazy and broken as I am. And they can certainly use help with household stuff and babysitting and rent, so... yay :)

I'm really glad... it sounds like this is a great decision for you, and not without its challenges.

Best of luck!!

sounds like a positive move for you...hope it works out very well for all of you...best of luck...:)

Thanks guys! Yeah it will be more challenging than having my own place, but hopefully more rewarding too! =)

Good luck, Ash! Sounds like it will work out wonderfully for all involved. And, getting to spend more time with them is always a plus. :)

Latest posts

Back