Worst uses/perversions of facebook

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hye345

Reaction score
So, I've noticed that a lot of you here are anti-facebook, and for very good reasons: that is, people have 500+ friends, maybe half of whom they've met in person. Then there is also people flaunting their good times for all the world to see, which in all fairness I've done once or twice, but I'd like to think I've grown out of by now.

Anyway, a few months back, I encountered an odd and somewhat irritating phenomenon: I 'friended' a girl on facebook (this wasn't someone I knew beforehand, just a suggestion from a friend). I was bored, and decided to browse through her photos. She herself didn't have that many photo albums, but under "photos of (insert her name)", she had roughly a thousand photos. When I actually looked at them, it turned out they weren't actually photos of her. Instead, what she had done was tag herself in those viral facebook posters, the ones with the funny jokes, or cute cats, or cheesy love quotes, etc... I mean, talk about being an attention junkie! I have never met anyone else who does this, and I hope I don't in the future.

So, I was wondering... has anyone here ever witnessed something akin to this? Lets share Facebook horror stories!

I was at work, this small grocery shop one afternoon. There was this 21 year old supervisor, this lass who had the rule book up her arse most of the time. One of the staff said this joke to her about faking an illness to get time off work. Instead of taking it as a joke, this supervisor went nuts, swearing at everybody within earshot. She then sat down and started pissing about on her phone for ages. I wondered what she was doing. When I got home, I had a look on facebook and there was this long rant by her. She had written at work on her phone. Her rant was about 20 lines long, called everybody '*******' and 'wankers' - she went on about this and that, really ugly stuff.

I later asked the member of staff who said the joke and he said it was only a joke and he didn't mean anything by it. I sent a message telling the supervisor that it was only a joke and nobody was talking behind her back etc. But she still kept the message on facebook and people were making comments about it calling all us staff everything under the sun.

A bad experience was in a fb group I had with some collegues/friends, we argued in there only to realize it was an open group... so we closed it and made a 'secret' one so our fb-friends can't see.

Posibly the worst thing I've seen in fb was the a beauty contest for teens... I tought it was very shallow, it surprised me that so many teen kids will take pics of themselves without shirt... turning into manwhores *sigh*. Their dads must be like 'son I am dissapoint' :p

Another thing that surprised me was seeing cartoon artists I admire posting every 10mins like highschool girls... The things they said were smarter (usally) but come on... Dude you are like 30 to 40, have kids and you post on fb that often? It's a little weird... The kind of thing that makes you thing fb can fresia up a person's brain... :S

There are a bunch of derogatory pictures and quotes on facebook, and some are truthful in a harsh way.. but when I see someone constantly posting them..it really annoys me because it makes me think they think they are better than others or never have done anything wrong. Stuff like "If you don't like me, then screw off". etc. Of course, I don't have to look at the pics as I can block certain things I don't care to see now.

I have quite a few friends on my fb page that I have never met before, but that doesn't mean they aren't my friends. About half the people on my friends list I have known my entire life...the remaining people I've known for years, they are my friends and quite honestly, they care more about me than the people I have known my entire life.

Now, as far as what irritates me...I do have some irritations on fb. There are a few that simply CAN. NOT. USE. PROPER. GRAMMAR. I mean, I understand everyone isn't as anal as me about it, but would it really be so hard to use punctuation and a spell checker once in a while? I also have a few who have money and take quite a few vacations every year, as well as buy this and that. It's annoying, yes, but, I can usually overlook it because I care about them. My last complaint is the spamming of images from other places...the religious stuff, the sarcastic stuff, the stuff about causes (like pit bulls).

I don't have many friends on my facebook, the people that are on there are either family or friends that I've known almost all my life or from high school, a few previous coworkers. They are people I still talk to once in awhile and ones I care about what is going on in their lives. The only thing that bugs me are the ones that spam messages about every moment of their day, constantly gush about their kid(s) - one friend you wouldn't know she has more than one, or when people spam images. I have a cousin that does that. I check my news feed and it's mainly filled with 2 people from just 24 hours. It is insane. I might put a status message up once a month if that. I care about what they might be doing but not every five minutes.

I don't understand why tagging herself to pics she finds interesting is a bad thing? We're not only our faces and our physical appearance, but more probably the things we like. I don't see it as wanting to grab attention. I don't do it but I usually share pics from pages I like rather than posting pics on myself. I don't know if that's the same thing. But I certainly don't do it to grab attention rather than just sharing something I thought was funny, cute, wise, etc. To be honest, I know that other people can really cover up their lives and make it seem happy on their fb pages, but who would keep pictures of bad moments? or angry, negative stuff to remember their lives by? Facebook is just a tool and people will always want attention.. even on ALL, we're probably more attention seekers than most FB users. Just in a different way, cos we're mostly shy.

I got rid of my account a while back, no regrets on that front, its just an excuse for people to:

Dig into what their partner has been up to, checking photo's and seeing who they have posted. (Honestly it seems to cause so much relationship grief!)

Making pointless dull updates like "Pizza in the oven, xfactor about to start... can't wait!!!"

Boast about their hangover's on a Sunday morning as if its some badge of honour "just got up at midday lol can't believe how much I drank last night, never again lol!!!"

Continually send me links to groups I have no interest in joining, ever.

Air their dirty laundry in public by having facebook rows for all to see.

Its just the total inaneness of it all, just a constant reminder at the tip of your fingers of how modern life is just utter drivel.

So yeah... not a fan!

Haven’t used Facebook for a long time (no idea if my account is still there) but what used to annoy me were the simultaneous couple updates. Something like:

GIRL STATUS: At a restaurant with my lovely boyfriend eating steak
BOY STATUS: At restaurant with my girlfriend, steak is nice

They will then go on to like(?) each other’s comments and even respond to them all within the same time frame . Does that mean two people are sat in a restaurant stuck on their mobile phones instead of actually talking and interacting with each other? Oh society, how I fear for the monster you have become!

Worst i have seen is a facebook family feud, where a sister in law told everyone that the other had an abortion...she was the only one to know...the boyfriend didnt even know. I got sick of it and deleted them.

i like it to keep in touch with people who are far, and to update people about the important stuff in my life.

I dislike comments like ''hmmm'' ''Going to bed'' or flirting ...thats how my ex got involved with someone else...harmeless flirting.

whispers said:
Worst i have seen is a facebook family feud, where a sister in law told everyone that the other had an abortion...she was the only one to know...the boyfriend didnt even know. I got sick of it and deleted them.

i like it to keep in touch with people who are far, and to update people about the important stuff in my life.

I dislike comments like ''hmmm'' ''Going to bed'' or flirting ...thats how my ex got involved with someone else...harmeless flirting.

Yes, people can have the most embarrasing, inapropiate arguments in profiles, pictures... It's the problem of person's lack of boundaries. But it can happen to anyone to some extent, because anyone that is your friend can post anything for everyone to see and begin an argument.

Felix said:
Yes, people can have the most embarrasing, inapropiate arguments in profiles, pictures... It's the problem of person's lack of boundaries. But it can happen to anyone to some extent, because anyone that is your friend can post anything for everyone to see and begin an argument.

Lmao...

My sister posts way too much personal stuff, whether it be about her or things going on in here life.

In fb's defence, I have to say, the honeysuckle people post sometimes is hilarious. Yes, it might lower your faith in mankind, but it's worth it.

notsobright.jpg

The Good Citizen said:
I got rid of my account a while back, no regrets on that front, its just an excuse for people to:

Dig into what their partner has been up to, checking photo's and seeing who they have posted. (Honestly it seems to cause so much relationship grief!)

Making pointless dull updates like "Pizza in the oven, xfactor about to start... can't wait!!!"

Boast about their hangover's on a Sunday morning as if its some badge of honour "just got up at midday lol can't believe how much I drank last night, never again lol!!!"

Continually send me links to groups I have no interest in joining, ever.

Air their dirty laundry in public by having facebook rows for all to see.

Its just the total inaneness of it all, just a constant reminder at the tip of your fingers of how modern life is just utter drivel.

So yeah... not a fan!

This. The only reasons I still use Facebook, are because it gives me something to do sometimes when I am bored, it keeps me in touch with people I don't see very often, if at all, and.. and I dunno! I've closed my account before twice. Always end up going back after a while for whatever reason.

I'm sorry. I fail to see why some people tend to dislike Facebook so much. It's just a site. You never have to go to it if you don't want to. But like Callie said, I also have quite a few people on my list that I've never met in person, but I do enjoy talking to them online. Also, I have family members added that I've never met before, who share the same blood and flesh as I do.

These are hilarious!
I liked getting updates from things I like, food magazines, animal advocacy groups which sends beautiful pictures every day, military groups, stuff I like. Problem is, my own family and a few friends would post stupid stuff several times a day, 'I'm tired' or 'taking my dog for a walk'. It was totally clogging my page. I had a conundrum of lots of really cool stuff mixed with a bunch of garbage, but from family. So I just unfriended everyone, and use f/b just for the cool stuff, and now it's actually pretty decent! I see my family anyway, so what's the difference?

But the stupidest things I see, are when I used to get my friends updates, and they'd say "Going to California for 2 weeks starting Friday" or "Going on vacation for a week, got mom to keep the dog" Or even posting photos they took that day from Disney World. HELLO?!? Just tell everyone in the world your house will be empty, and exactly when! Might as well leave a neon sign outside your house saying 'no one home', come on in! Stupid, stupid, stupid....

Latest posts

Back