Trying Out Paint Tool SAI

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubt The Rabbit

Reaction score
Got lazy halfway through and just scribbled a bit until it looked bloody.

Clean WIP:
1dyckj.png

Finished (I guess):
2yxkw43.jpg

It (the program) is alright. Handles my tablet a whole hell of a lot better than gimp considering it's a free program. Maybe someday I'll get me one of those pressure sensitive tabs and draw something for real.

Edit: Just so y'know, photobucket makes it look like honeysuckle.
Edit edit: Thankfully, tinypic does not.

I actually like this version better.
2czf30l.png

That's really good... it looks like actual paint. The only thing I'd say is that the wings look off to me, would be worth looking at some reference pictures/bird anatomy studies.

Apart from that I love how you're putting some purple and green in there

What app is this? I should try and do a random drawing or something is paint. I have GIMP, but it's very advanced, slowly getting used to it.

ajdass1 said:
That's really good... it looks like actual paint. The only thing I'd say is that the wings look off to me, would be worth looking at some reference pictures/bird anatomy studies.

Apart from that I love how you're putting some purple and green in there

Pretend the wing is broken. :p
I did look at some reference pics, but seeing as I mostly wanted to see how the program handled my pen and the blending (so the fact that you say it looks like real paint makes me happy :eek:) I wasn't paying a whole lot of attention to anatomical correctness (note the beak is longer than a standard pigeon's).

Buuut yes, I agree, the wing is messed up (hehe)

Lost Soul said:
What app is this? I should try and do a random drawing or something is paint. I have GIMP, but it's very advanced, slowly getting used to it.

It is called PaintTool SAI, a japanese digital painting program. I can't say it's any less complicated than GIMP, because it utilizes two different types of layers: color and lineart. It also has no fancy but useful features such as GIMP's filters collection or the ability to add text, but it handles even a dinky graphics tablet like mine with some grace and it allows one to save the layers in photoshop format to then edit later (which is only useful if you actually have Photoshop). Unless I'm just looking to paint something as if I would on a canvas with traditional paints, I couldn't see myself using this for, say, cartooning or touching up photos. GIMP's features, namely the curve tool, which I use most often for "inking" my sketches of cartoon-type characters, are more advanced than SAI's.

Nonetheless, here is a link to the English translated version of PaintTool SAI. It's also been translated to both Russian and German.

http://sai.detstwo.com/sai/

I'd like to try it out, unfortunately, it seems to be only compatible with Windows. All the computers run Linux: Ubuntu, but I could try it in a App called WIne, which lets some Windows apps be compatible with Linux.

Latest posts

Back