Feeling lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiina63

Reaction score
I'm really sad today. Although loneliness is always with me, sometimes it is harder to deal with than at others. This week three things happened which have made me feel low.
I went to the funeral of an elderly lady on Tuesday-we weren't close, but she was once very kind to me, so I wanted to show my respects. There were so many people there to commemorate her life (I am glad, as she was a lovely lady), but it made me think who would come to my funeral when I pass on, as I have no family and few close friends? I feel guilty for thinking of myself at such a time, but nontheless I couldn't stop these thoughts.
On Wednesday I went for the first time to a service at the church where I go to a mental health support group and everyone (except the vicar, and the man who runs the support group) blanked me. I tried to catch people's eyes and I smiled, but I was invisible.
This morning at the writing group I mentioned the funeral and about being lonely and one woman didn't get my loneliness at all. She is lonely only very occasionally, and hasn't experienced the constant loneliness which most of us here are dealing with.

(hugs) I am sorry to hear you're feeling low and I agree funeral's may be horrid, not only because your grief and loss but from feeling so lonely. I will light a candle for you today and think of you.

Sorry to hear that..

If you feel lonely and restless at the same time, it might be difficult to sit down with a book or a movie... At those times a simple walk is very nice. At least it helps for me.

Some churches can be like that, I've been to many. It's like a private club and they only want certain kind of people. But not all are like that. Sorry that happened to you. It's happened to me at my own church, and I played in the band for 10 years! It's finally why I finally left. Go figure.

As for funerals, I don't think I can go to another after burying my dad. Still have so many feelings, and alot of them lonely like you said.
But as hopsfox said, I'll be thinking of you.

I'm sorry you feel so low. I too am thinking of you.
Churches are usually welcoming places, so maybe try again? Or try another church.
I think it's natural to think of your own mortality when you have been to a funeral and I am sure the old lady who's funeral it was, would have been glad that you went.

Thank you for your really kind replies. I think I might give that church one more try and then, if it doesn't work out, I will go to another one. I told one of my friends about it, and she said that this is one reson why she doesn't go to church, becuase they are too cliquey.
Wolf359 do you go to a different church now or did your experience put you off church?
IN a lonely place-thank you for your understanding as well. I think Hilda would have been touched that I went to her funeral.

Latest posts

Back