And this is why I don't make friends easily offline.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Facial disfigurements don't creep me out. Maybe it's because I grew up with them, I don't know. I have a cousin with down syndrome and facial problems, I have other family members with other issues and I went to school with a girl that has a port wine birthmark covering half her face.
People judge too harshly, maybe what/who I grew up with is the reason I don't judge people based on appearances overly much.

Callie said:
Facial disfigurements don't creep me out. Maybe it's because I grew up with them, I don't know. I have a cousin with down syndrome and facial problems, I have other family members with other issues and I went to school with a girl that has a port wine birthmark covering half her face.
People judge too harshly, maybe what/who I grew up with is the reason I don't judge people based on appearances overly much.

I grew up with tourette's syndrome, so have "facial tics"... what most people think is a "nervous tic"... so, many people find these tics to be a bit odd, if they dont' know I have tourette's ... and if it is somebody that knows I have tourette's, then I feel like they think I am odd because I have tourette's. Okay, so not quite facial disfigurements, but I feel I can somewhat relate ...

"normal" me
Photoon2012-07-22at1204.jpg

"facial tic" me
Photoon2012-07-22at12042.jpg

I'd like to think I try very hard not to behave differently to people who have facial disfigurement. I know I definitley do, but my upbringing encouraged me to strongly see the person 'inside'. It can't be easy for anyone with this condition and I feel for you Sophia.
Maybe people with facial disfigurement have to display an amazing degree of love for themselves and their fellow man (and woman) to feel accepted by society in general. I wish you well.

I'm not. But If some who read this think that I'm full of it, then so be it. I don't give a fresia. Facial disfigurement, or any disfigurement for that matter, does not creep me out. NOT AT ALL. Not befriending someone because they are suffering from their particular disfigurement or illness is appalling! It's a **** effective way to miss out on a potentially wonderful person in your life.

When I was in high school, waiting with a bunch of other students for the Gym doors to open at lunch so we could go in and play some ball and socialize, one of our handicapped students who had to use a cart type thing with wheels to walk properly, come excitedly down the hall with his walker, (which has 2 wheels in front. You've seen them before I'm sure.) in excitement to get into the gym, was called a "Freak" by one of our fellow jerks, who of course was healthy and lucky to be, but probably never realized it.

I'm no tough guy, but that remark made me see red, and I kicked the fresia out of him. I knew him from Jr. high. He was an ******* then and was still one in high school. That freak as he called him, was an "A" student with a brilliant mind for math, and especially chess. "Mr. Big Mouth" couldn't come near him in intelligence or maturity. He was a ******* clown. I know this because we shared a few classes together. His marks and attitude sucked ass.

I was suspended for a week. I spent most of my time cuffing class anyway, so it didn't bother me. It was more than worth it. The reason you don't make friends easily Sophia, is because fresia heads like the one I dealt with, are "Creeped Out", but are too ******* blind to see what truly matters within a person. Their heart, soul, and mind.

Sophia. You are an intelligent woman, who uses much of your time online helping others with suicide and many other things. fresia anyone who can't see past your affliction. People when they see you will often be "Creeped Out" with your appearance when they see you for the first time. True friends will also be "Creeped Out". What makes them true friends is, they look look beyond your affliction and discover the good heart you have within.

There is no shortage of shallow, mean-spirited people out there that have no empathy for others :(

LoneKiller said:
I'm not. But If some who read this think that I'm full of it, then so be it. I don't give a fresia. Facial disfigurement, or any disfigurement for that matter, does not creep me out. NOT AT ALL. Not befriending someone because they are suffering from their particular disfigurement or illness is appalling! It's a **** effective way to miss out on a potentially wonderful person in your life.

The reason you don't make friends easily Sophia, is because fresia heads like the one I dealt with, are "Creeped Out", but are too ******* blind to see what truly matters within a person. Their heart, soul, and mind.

Sophia. You are an intelligent woman, who uses much of your time online helping others with suicide and many other things. fresia anyone who can't see past your affliction. People when they see you will often be "Creeped Out" with your appearance when they see you for the first time. True friends will also be "Creeped Out". What makes them true friends is, they look look beyond your affliction and discover the good heart you have within.

just wanted to agree with lonekiller's statement.... you are clearly a very beautiful person; I have seen many very kind, compasstionate posts that you make on this website, and you help make other people feel good about themselves. To me, that is the most wonderful thing that one person can do for another person... if somebody is unwilling to get to know this aspect of you, then they are stupid.

A lot of people don't make friends easily offline for various reasons so don't be so hard on yourself.

it's a matter of meeting the right people.

I agree with stars, we only end up having a few real friends in life. Those who take the time to realy know you and care. I'm weird, always have been. This ''creeped out '' some people, and still today. I have great friends ( only a few) so i dont feel i have to impress anyone, i am loved by the people who count.

Sophia, i can imagine how hard it must be to be stared at ignored or called names. But you are who you are, a beautifull soul who came here to teach a few lessons to a shallow society.

Hello Sophia-I feel so angry with anyone who has verbally abused you. You are a kind and caring person and in no way deserve any abuse or rejection.
Lonekiller-well done for tackling that boy who mocked the disabled student.

Basing feelings on the reaction of others is not a good idea. Strong enough to not get caught up in that mentality is a whole different story. Its not so much what others do but what you do. have a good one

Sophia, don't worry about them, babe. I got my shovel :)
It really pisses me off how they can say that, though.
Know what creeps me out? That people are so *******...there isn't even a word for it.
The way I look at it is that I do not have any thoughts whatsoever about deformation.
I see it as I see everybody else. I'm not going to be like "I feel so sorry for them. Poor people" like some people do. That is pretty much the same as looking down on them by comparing them to oneself.
Why don't I think of them/us as everyone else? Because people with deformations/disfigurements are just like the rest of humans. If they have a disability and need help with things?
Okay, welll everyone in this world needs help with something no matter what it is. So what's the difference?
Sophia, alot of people are probably just intimidated (you saying it is hard to make offline friends) because you have such pretty brown eyes. Don't let it get you down :)

Yes, it is true. There are many who shy away from anything outside of normal.

I don't generally like the reasons they gave in the article...that we are cave man like and thus the reason we reject others who have facial imperfections.

I don't like those reasons because we are so much more than that. We've been given wisdom, intelligence, compassion, understanding to know the difference.

Unfortunately, some people are still operating from cave man like attitudes and thuse you get revulsion from anyone different.

I think you are amazing and beautiful on the outside and the inside, Sophie. Most humans can only claim half of that statement. :)

Unfortunately, first impressions for people who suffer from disabilities are harder.

Those who judge you because of something that wasn't your fault, are idiots.

Latest posts

Back