future career in a bad economy?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahaikulife

Reaction score
Hi, so, I am most likely bailing on my now dead career within the biological sciences. The competition for a job is just to intense, to many people, and to few jobs. So, I am looking into a new career, and have been planning on going back to get an MLS ... master's in library science (applied already to a program online). I was wondering if anybody has any suggestions other than this, that I may not have considered... I am choosing based off of my opinion that the economy will continue to get worse over the next at least 10 years.... any ideas? I prefer something a little bit more on the "intellectual" side, because I like to do different things each day... but may not be totally opposed to some kind of a trade, but I'd like to have options.. I really do not want to have to completely start over in terms of education, and would like to build on my current degrees (b.s., m.s. biology), as opposed to having to start over completely .... any ideas at all for a career that has a good chance at being interesting and having open positions within a damaged economy?

Have you looked at working in other countries? I think Australia is short of scientists.

LoneKiller said:
Have you considered being a Pharmacist? Where I live we can't get enough of them.
well, I had not considered pharmacy, though when I was an undergrad there were alot of the other micro majors..... the ones that couldn't get into the college of pharmacy often went medical micro as there were many similar requirements...

it is a good idea. I think I could potentially like that... but, it'd be a pretty big commitment that I'm not sure I want to tackle... that would be about 5 years from now to finish the schooling,,,and that's if I got in. I'll keep that in mind... drug dealers always make good money too, whether legal or not ;P lol

Parabolani said:
Have you looked at working in other countries? I think Australia is short of scientists.

now that is brilliant... no reason to stay in the u.s., i got nothing keeping me here. I know new zealand is **** near impossible for an outsider to get a job in.... how's australia's work visa difficulties? Do you know how you even go about finding a job in another country? shoot, maybe i should try se asia or south america for that matter....

We have a pharmacist in my city who works in two pharmacies as kind of the "Boss" type thing. One local pharmacy has like 2 pharmacists and 3 techs. They are constantly going. So busy. You are right. It's a big commitment.

I'm feeling totally lost and hopeless for life again... I get this way when I start searching jobs in the field where I have experience. I just feel hopeless... I can't get hired in what I'm experienced at... I hate that I have to go back to school, and spend thousands of more dollars of money that I dont' have, and doubling my already deep student loans, just to get a job so that I can barely survive...its jsut so intense, the hopelessness, I've lost my entire life, my soul...because of being unemployed, and dont' know what to do. Money is not that important to me, but being able to take care of myself is... I'm draining my mother's income, I'm draining her soul, because I can't find a job. It has gotten so bad that I have begged people for help.... and that's even worse, because, who is gonna hire soembody that looks that pathetic? no matter what I do, I feel .... hopeless.....

You can look into medical coding; remember that if you work in a public field, where most hospital are considered as, your student loans will be forgiven between 50% to a 100%. Career in medicine are essentially demand inflexible - even in a third world country, people will still get sick and be willing to spend money to feel better, so its value of it and its support services linger.

1) truck driver - because people / businesses will always need products that are no longer produced locally.

2) Digital media - make it, distribute it, remix it, blog it, advertise it, ecommerce, program apps, - this is like the new way people communicate. if you can still learn the language, its a good idea to just have fun with it.

3) security / law enforcement. or a bank robber... either or... both in high demand....

I have no suggestions sadly. But good luck to you! I have never had any thoughts on a Career. I will just live life in and out of the lowest types of job :p

You're a Master's in Biology. You should be able to do several jobs in the research field. Why don't you do that? Is it too fierce of a competition there?

Ak5 said:
You're a Master's in Biology. You should be able to do several jobs in the research field. Why don't you do that? Is it too fierce of a competition there?

yes, highly competitive. I have 7 years research experience, in microbial ecology and in agriculture, mostly dna work, I have one year teaching experience teaching introductory microbiology at the college level... and can't get a job. Each research job has at least 100 applicants, the ones advertised on linkedin usually push 250 applicants... I can't even get hired washing beakers, and don't know why. When the economy tanked, research funding was cut drastically. I am giving up on even looking anymore within biology... it is just absolutely killing my spirit, and my hope for a life, to be honest. I still have two unanswered job apps out, but think that that will be all.

IgnoredOne said:
You can look into medical coding; remember that if you work in a public field, where most hospital are considered as, your student loans will be forgiven between 50% to a 100%. Career in medicine are essentially demand inflexible - even in a third world country, people will still get sick and be willing to spend money to feel better, so its value of it and its support services linger.

I hadn't even ever heard of that... interesting. I'm going to consider it, thank you for letting me know of that job position.

MadMonkè said:
1) truck driver - because people / businesses will always need products that are no longer produced locally.

2) Digital media - make it, distribute it, remix it, blog it, advertise it, ecommerce, program apps, - this is like the new way people communicate. if you can still learn the language, its a good idea to just have fun with it.

3) security / law enforcement. or a bank robber... either or... both in high demand....

truck driving can make some bucks... not sure if I could handle it for long though... I'd probably burn out within a few years... although I am "good" at driving..by that I mean, I have no problems driving for 18 hours straight...... i actually did consider digital media at one point, and have about 20 credits in programming and web/media design.... good ideas, and giving me more to think about ...

thx for the comments and suggestions ya'll

Bit unorthodox but I have used these approaches on several occasions.

Have you considered to ask by sending a letter or an e-mail to a journalist actively engaged in practical applications of microbiology. They would tell you perhaps about good and bad projects aids they are covering. The worst thing that could happen would be a no or no answer. Write what you are eager to contribute with and that would do other things as well suited for you.

Or in your field expertice with goverment projects focusing on ecology ( and microbiology ) The huge rebuilding of places as Haiti for example, where from scratch people have to learn about farming and nutrients, pest control etc

Me best advice is to go to people doing what you wish to be doing and ask them, how? Ye got the papers, knowledge and ye got the will.

An usuall eployer (exluding google) will care about some things. Can you do what you say? Are you going to do it well? is he/she the employer feeling you will stay on and learn

Latest posts

Back