These Are My Computer's Specs. Are They Strong Enough To Support Windows 7?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
I was thinking of upgrading to 7, but am not sure if my computer's specs can handle it in a normal and manageable way.

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name JESSEVENTURA-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Inspiron 531s
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+, 2100 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.0.3, 6/15/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name JESSEVENTURA-PC\JESSE VENTURA
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 1.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 958 MB
Available Physical Memory 284 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.13 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.14 GB
Page File Space 1.23 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

If you use Vista now, you can run Windows 7 on that same machine. 7 is less demanding than Vista.

Well, you'd have to look up the requirements for Windows 7 as well. The two things that jump out at me is Vista and Dell...lol. I've heard of people having troubles when trying to upgrade from Vista. But in all seriousness your best bet is to go into a local computer store and talk to them. They can usually advise you on what upgrades you might need.

Computers are pretty cheap these days, sometimes you are better off to just buy a new CPU.

You only have one gig of physical ram? and you are running Vista? how is that even possible...

VanillaCreme said:
Trent said:
You only have one gig of physical ram? and you are running Vista? how is that even possible...

That was my logic...

ok, so i'm not crazy then...

windows vista can barely LOAD on 1 gig of RAM.

windows 7 is only a glorified windows vista, it's the same operating system with some minor changes.

he would be better off putting in 4 or 6 gigs of RAM and running Linux

:D

Nah windows 7 doesn't take nearly as much to run as vista.

If it runs vista, it will run 7 better.

Trent said:
VanillaCreme said:
Trent said:

That was my logic...

ok, so i'm not crazy then...

windows vista can barely LOAD on 1 gig of RAM.

windows 7 is only a glorified windows vista, it's the same operating system with some minor changes.

he would be better off putting in 4 or 6 gigs of RAM and running Linux

:D

I use Vista. I like Vista. I will never use Windows 7. Me no like Windows 7. But it is less of a memory whore than Vista. It uses about 2 GB of my RAM. I plan to upgrade my RAM to as much as I possibly can.

Trent said:
Hi Trent.
I found this odd as well. My computer is in being repaired. I'm using the computer of the dude who's fixing mine as a temp right now.

LoneKiller said:
Trent said:
Hi Trent.
I found this odd as well. My computer is in being repaired. I'm using the computer of the dude who's fixing mine as a temp right now.

it's not that uncommon, you probably have two 512-MB RAM sticks. is this a desktop or laptop?

don't waste your time upgrading from windows vista to windows 7, they are literally the same operating system. windows 7 is just a fancy name for the latest version of vista. for anyone who doesn't believe that, research it, i'm too lazy to pull out the actual version numbers.

also, you have a 64-bit processor and are looking at running a 64-bit operating system with only 1 GB of RAM, that is very minimal. a previous poster seems confused between the amount of RAM it takes to functionally LOAD and operating system and the true amount of RAM it takes to functionally UTILIZE all of the rich features of an operating system.

you really need 3, better 4, even better 6 or 8 GBs if you wanna open up the potential of windows vista/7.

but, to pay? no, don't waste your money paying for windows 7. hell, download the free trial of Windows 8 (which is still Vista at its core, btw, just the next newest edition)

or, save your money on the OS, buy some RAM sticks instead, and use Linux.

I've had some people at the club tell me that my problems might be due to using Chrome. They say that it sucks memory up like a vacuum. I'm not sure though. Maybe switching to Firefox might help maybe?

LoneKiller said:
I've had some people at the club tell me that my problems might be due to using Chrome. They say that it sucks memory up like a vacuum. I'm not sure though. Maybe switching to Firefox might help maybe?

i hate chrome.

because i hate google.

i use opera and firefox, because they are open source and they are not in a position to connect the dots and track every detail of my life.

fresia that honeysuckle.

lately, i find opera to be the most suitable browser.

how old is the computer that you are considering upgrading?
is it a laptop or desktop?
did you buy it new or used?
is it under any warranty still?
what antimalware programs(s) do you use?

are you having a specific problem with it running slow?

are you getting any error dialog messages or blue-screens-of-death?

what is it that is prompting you to consider upgrading the OS?

Trent said:
LoneKiller said:

i hate chrome.

because i hate google.

i use opera and firefox, because they are open source and they are not in a position to connect the dots and track every detail of my life.

fresia that honeysuckle.

lately, i find opera to be the most suitable browser.

how old is the computer that you are considering upgrading?
is it a laptop or desktop?
did you buy it new or used?
is it under any warranty still?
what antimalware programs(s) do you use?

are you having a specific problem with it running slow?

are you getting any error dialog messages or blue-screens-of-death?

what is it that is prompting you to consider upgrading the OS?
My computer is around 5yo. It's a Dell Inspiron Desktop.(Can't remember model. The fix it guy has my tower.) It was bought new. I use Malwarebytes pro 2012. I use Avast free antivirus. I know the free version isn't as thorough as Avast IS.

Even while I had IS, I would run scans and they would come up clean. When the trial period was over, I went to the free version. I could have resorted to pirated copies, but they're illegal. That, and I already tried. Half of the cracks were unusable. I would have tried Norton, but many have told me that people make viruses specifically to target Norton.

As you can probably tell, I'm no Bill Gates.lol
There is one thing I should tell you. Since I bought the computer that long ago, I was much less experienced and bullheaded for most of it. I was "Mr. Know-It-All" Wouldn't take advice. I have reinstalled Vista around 8 times now because I wasn't sure why it was acting so strangely. In order to save memory, I would delete each of the previous installation files "Windows.Old". I would keep some programs, but deleted the rest.

I ran MalwareBytes, Avast, I even ran the error checking utility on several occasions. I then noticed that my Windows Update was not reatining the update info which caused mt to have to keep updating like 65 important updates every day or two.

No matter what I tried nothing was coming together. I also ran defrag quite often. There was a point in time where I used emulators as well. No blue screens. My pages we pixilating, it took forever to go to the next page. It froze on me a lot. I went into safe mode to run diagnostics. No problems showed.Maybe my hard drive had all it could take and died on me.

The reason I wish to upgrade is because I want to keep current. Also everyone tells me Vista sucks. I try to listen to advice from those more experienced than I. Others tell me to upgrade the first chance I get. I'm seriously considering kidnapping Gates at gunpoint and force him to optimize my computer performance like his.

One gigabyte of RAM was a pretty standard amount for machines shipping back when Vista was in its prime. It's not a 'miracle' that it works. that said, by modern standards you will want substantially more RAM to achieve a comfortable level of performance. Luckily RAM is dirt cheap these days, even the older DDR2 RAM that you would need for that system remains rather inexpensive. A two gigabyte stick will run you about $25. Even if you upgraded to windows 7, you wouldn't see a dramatic increase in performance without added RAM, so increasing the RAM would be the higher priority with any course of action you decide to take. Not to mention that it would be much cheaper than upgrading to windows 7.

Also, it's not Chrome that's hindering your computer's performance by being a memory hog. Any modern browser would have that issue, since they use at least a few hundred megabytes of RAM. Your computer barely has enough RAM to offer up to such processes without resorting to paging = slowing down drastically. Basically, any browser would suffer from a lack of available RAM on your system. So I suggest you address that. On the other hand your CPU is still good enough for simple stuff like web browsing, so with a bit more RAM the system will remain somewhat viable.

I would also say that windows 7 is superior to Vista, but I would be careful how much you decide to invest in such an old system. With a little saving you could buy something much newer and faster all around, so springing for an OS upgrade might not be the best use of your money. Also, if staying current is your priority, Windows 8 will be coming out in October or November, I believe. Many of the preliminary reviews have been mixed or downright unfavorable, but its true impact remains to be seen. It would certainly be more 'current.'

LoneKiller said:

It eats up a lot of memory, yes.

I just want to say how much I appreciate the advice from everyone. You would think that after a little north of 4-5 years, I'd know all this. I feel like such a rookie. LOL

mintymint said:
That said, by modern standards you will want substantially more RAM to achieve a comfortable level of performance.

tomato
tomahto

pretty much what i said

it all depends on your subjective interpretation of "works"

Windows 7 is definately a glorified version of Vista. (i miss my vista, i never had issues lol)
Ram Wise - Don't bother upgrading.
As per the processor.
You have AMD (lulz) and its a Duo Core. Most system run Quad now as a normal thing.

I suggest you wait out for about few more months...
Get a new laptop/desktop when windows 8 launches officially worldwide and then buy a Windows 7 Machine for Cheap price because the price will drop.
Minium memory you'll get is 4 GB of (ram). and i3 (or better) processor which are all quad. (per say).

If you do plan to get a new laptop - Just dont end up buying Netbook processors. C50 and other types. cause they are ... they are slower than what you have running now lol (ok not really but you'll see it lag once you run more than 3 active programs)

Latest posts

Back