Extension vs Duplicate Screen Display

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Extention vs Duplicate screen display

• Use Two Different Computers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Phaedron

Reaction score
As concerning a setup with a Monitor and a big Television. Which do you find more useful? Or which do you prefer?

Extend the Desktop: makes a second part of the desktop, using the same picture, on the TV. When you mouse too far to the side it'll go off the screen and onto the other screen. This gets to be annoying very quickly, especially since its usually the left side where the back button is. Whenever you want to watch something, you have to drag it over to the second desktop. Windows will open on the TV when you want them on the monitor and vice versa all the time. In that case it is useful to use two different browsers (like IE and Firefox) or two different media players. On the plus side you can have games or video files going on the tv, and whatever else, including unwanted notifications and popups, appearing only on the monitor. Or have games and videos going at the same time. Very useful for texting someone and watching / playing something simultaneously, or just surfing the net with a movie in the background.

Duplicate the Desktop: This projects the same video signal onto both the tv and the monitor. It is less useful and less annoying. One need only turn to the monitor for navigation, and then the TV (hopefully farther away :) ) for entertainment. Not ideal for multi-tasking, but not impossible, if you don't mind having multiple windows open thereby limiting the size of the game/movie. If the TV is a projector and very far away, or outside the immediate viewing range, the Duplicate setup is likely to be a lot more useful.

Use Two Different Computers: In this case you have a dedicated computer for the TV, hopefully an HDTV with resolution set so that you can read text without going crazy. This would obviously give you the extention without the hassles that go along with it.

I used to have a similar setup, I had my computer connected to my monitor and my big screen TV, I used an Extended Desktop but I was also using a really good peace of software called UltraMon, It allowed more advanced setups and options with managing two or more screens, for example, you could have handy buttons on the top of each window allowing it to be switched to the adjacent monitor or span the width of the two, or have two different wallpapers/screensavers etc..

I used to have two monitors on my desk extended, but since one monitor clapped out I was using one. Then I bought my LCD tv so I have a long HDMI cable running into that with a duplicated display. I love being able to watch videos from my computer on TV without having to navigate through tedious menus on the TV itself or via xbox.

And when I want to use my computer while screening a video I can always switch to extended, not often though.

I have dual extended monitors (both at home and work) and I rarely bother to bother with my laptop any longer as I tend to have too many programs running simultaneously for just one monitor.

Latest posts

Back