I'm becoming addicted to depression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegifted

Reaction score
these past months I tried to battle depression, yet I see myself being more submerged to it that now I am currently isolating myself from everyone else and becoming more and more depressed everyday... It feels like I don't want to fight anymore and give it all up. I have no motivation, and not looking forward to anything but the day where I will be alone and free of this world.
This is very unhealthy for anyone, yet I can't escape because I don't want to. ****, I am lost..

I think setting goals for yourself would be very helpful in this situation. Really try to accomplish something you believe you could achieve with the right amount of effort, and let that drive you. Keeping yourself occupied is always a good way to get rid of negative thoughts.

Feeling sorry for yourself can be very addictive, yes. And like any other addiction, its not good for you.

I am depressed. Same old thing day after day. No place to go, nothing to do. My place is my prison and the computer my only outlet. My son talks to me sometimes on the net and it cheers me up for a while. He lives in another city. Friends are so far away lately, too busy with their lives to visit. Some days I just want to scream, or pack up and move to where my son is but I'm too broke to. Gets to the point I dread waking up to a new day to the same old lonely thing over and over again. I am just so lonely and depressed. Is there ever an end to this misery?!

thegifted said:
these past months I tried to battle depression, yet I see myself being more submerged to it that now I am currently isolating myself from everyone else and becoming more and more depressed everyday... It feels like I don't want to fight anymore and give it all up. I have no motivation, and not looking forward to anything but the day where I will be alone and free of this world.
This is very unhealthy for anyone, yet I can't escape because I don't want to. ****, I am lost..

It requires mental discipline, and perhaps an intervention to shake an addiction. Unfortunately, in the case of addictive depression, family members can't cut you off or send you to rehab because the source of the addiction is inside your own head.

flaneur said:
I think setting goals for yourself would be very helpful in this situation. Really try to accomplish something you believe you could achieve with the right amount of effort, and let that drive you. Keeping yourself occupied is always a good way to get rid of negative thoughts.

I agree with Flaneur. I've found that the best way to get away from depression is to get distracted. Find something that interests you, something that you may have been passionate about at one point. And stay away from anything that may have caused your depression in the first place. I, for example, have regrettably had to cut off all contact with an ex to stave off the bad feelings that they evoked in me; and lately I have taken up a small passion for certain plants after I worked in a garden center for a brief amount of time.
Anything can spark the life back into you. Read a book, reconnect with an old friend, explore your town and find something cool and new about it, or explore an entirely new venue all together.
I am glad that you've admitted to your addiction, for it is the first step to overcoming it. But if you fail to take further action on your own accord, there is no one to help you.

Depression isn't something you should try to fight alone. It gets dark in there and sometimes It can be hard to find you're way out. I agree with flaneur, goals are essential in this situation. You recognize that you have a problem and know what it is, that's half the battle right there. The first time I was depressed I didn't even know it. I've been there, trust me, even if it's addicting, getting out and getting better is the only solution.

~ Bloom

sentiententity said:
You need outside help for fighting depression. It's not something that can be done on your own.

This.

Seek that help.

I'm not talking necessarily about a shrink.

Latest posts

Back