Common mistakes lonely people make that keep them lonely

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew.1

Reaction score
I read over this and there are some good points here. Obviously this does not apply to everyone, but take a look.

Mistakes Lonely People Often Make

Once someone has become socially isolated and down about it, there are some common traps they can fall into which maintain their loneliness:
They hide from the world because they're embarrassed about being lonely and having no life

People who you don't live with really can't tell all that well how much of a social life you have or not. More than that, even if they do have a hunch that you may not be up to all that much on the weekends, they likely don't judge you all that negatively for it. Of course hiding like this is counterproductive because if you want to start getting a social life together, you have to begin putting yourself out there.

Lonely people can also hide in the sense that they're really guarded about revealing anything about themselves, because someone might catch on to how little they have going on in their lives. Doing this can prevent new relationships from getting off the ground. A lonely person may 'save face' by avoiding a potential new friend, rather than have to reveal they don't have a ton of buddies at the moment.

The alternative is to be more casual and straightforward about the fact that your social life is lacking at the moment. It's actually something that can happen to anyone from time to time. If the topic comes up, you can just say something like, "I've been working too much lately. I've got to start going out more" or "Ha ha, I think I'm in a bit of a social rut at the moment. I fell out of touch with some old friends, and really should start meeting some new people."

They become experts at distracting themselves from their loneliness

It's relatively easy to occupy spare hours in front of a TV, computer, or video game console. Some people even use alcohol or dope to take the edge off. People can also get good at structuring the times they do routine errands, so it almost feels like they're busy and have things going on in their life. Obviously this doesn't do anything to fix the underlying problem.

They get too comfortable in their rut

When your social life isn't where you want it to be you can find yourself in a situation where you wish it was better, but at the same time you're used things how they are now. Like the point above mentions, maybe you've gotten really good at filling your time with things that are a half-decent substitute for socializing. Being comfortable like this can be insidious in that on some level you want to improve your situation, but you're not feeling enough of a push to really go after it. It's easier to stay in for another weekend.

They expect other people take all the initiative in inviting them out

Sometimes you'll meet someone you get along with and they'll make all the effort of getting your contact information and inviting you out with them, but often this doesn't happen. People are usually pretty busy and already have social lives of their own. They're often on a kind of auto-pilot where they won't think of you as a potential buddy unless you get them thinking that way. Showing an interest in spending time with them is one way you can do that. By waiting for them to extend you an invitation, and doing nothing to put yourself on the line, you may have been unwittingly implying that you weren't interested in hanging out with them.

Also, lonely people can have the mindset where they see whether they're invited out or not as a gauge of how much people like them. If someone doesn't invite them out they take it as a sign that the other person doesn't want to spend time with them. Like I said above, it's more a question of whether you're on someone's radar as a person they could potentially hang out with. Also, people tend to differ in how often they invite people to do things. Some are really friendly, organizer types. Others figure out what the rest of the group is doing and ask if they can come along (or it's just implied they can come). Others are more passive still. It's possible the other person could be waiting for you to invite them out.

Inviting people out and making plans is also a bit of a pain. You can't always leave the work in the other person's hands. Your friends shouldn't always have to be the ones to pick up the phone and think of something to do when they want to hang out with you. Ideally you each pull your own weight.

A final mistake is thinking that inviting someone to do something makes you look weak, desperate, or 'one down'. Don't worry about who invites who to do what and what it all means. If you want to get a circle of friends together assume you have to do all the work to make it happen.

They think they have to be super likable to have friends

Pretty much anyone can have friends if they want to. More often than you'd think you just have to be pleasant, non-annoying company: A buddy to shoot pool with, someone to play video games against, someone to go drinking with, someone to talk to about a common interest. Even an annoying person who makes an effort to be social and make plans with people will often have friends.

They actually aren't that interested in hanging around people

This isn't exactly a "mistake", but it can stymie someone's ability to establish relationships all the same. People who become lonely may be more shy and anxious in the first place or not have as much of a built-in need to be social. They may also have been ostracized in one form or another when they were growing up, leaving them a bit bitter and weary towards other people.

They may feel the painful effects of loneliness and isolation and want to escape them, but at the same time they're not 100% keen on being around other people. This can get them stuck in a pattern where sometimes they'll feel lonely enough that they make initial steps to get a social life going, but then they don't quite have the motivation to follow through on them.

They have a negative attitude towards people

Studies have shown that lonely people tend to be more cynical and negative about other people. This could be a cause or effect of being lonely, or both. In practice this manifests in a picky, superior, or snobby attitude. It may be an over compensation for insecurity, anxiety, or low self-esteem. It may also have routes in somewhat justified feelings of being different, left-out, and alienated. A past of social experiences that haven't gone well may also have left a lonely person feeling jaded about other people.

http://www.succeedsocially.com/lonely

Yes, a lot of interesting mistakes some of which I am very familiar with. Some have been overcome by "breaking the chain" and making a point of forcing myself to react differently as soon as I feel myself falling into the groove. Still a work in progress though.

every one of those is me, with the exception of expecting people to ask me out. i know that isn't the case.

another mistake people make is simply being too **** picky and having insane criteria for friends or romantic partners.

i'm not saying to have no standards.

i'm just saying let people be people without judging every minute aspect of their existence.

The point I most identify with is the one about being guarded. It is embarrassing to admit to being lonely, so often I am careful what I say to others.

Getting too comfortable in their rut, oh yeah that I can identify with. Nice article.

Thanks. This is actually why I came here.

Im saving this article.

This one in particular speaks truth to me. And I didnt even realize.

"Another reason some people may be guarded and defensive is that they've been picked on in the past, and so think that anytime someone is talking to them they're really just trying to make fun of them. If someone starts asking them about their weekend they may not reveal much, because they suspect the other person is just looking for material to mock them with later."

The more I look at it, the more I realize I should spend more time on this site...

which makes me wonder if this guy is just soliciting traffic... to his own site

well... good job ;p

I think this is a really interesting article and it does bring out some really valid points. I've been alone for so long that I actually feel worse when I'm around other people. I feel rejected often and socializing just seems absolutely useless and pointless, especially when you're observant to people's behavior. Everyone's just so...predictable. I already know what someone's going to do or say before they even act. When I used to seek socialization, I always expected something out of it,and I believe that was my biggest problem. Now, I don't expect anything from anyone. I just keep to myself and my thoughts. It's like I'm in my own little world, really, but I'm not.

andrew.1 said:

They may also have been ostracized in one form or another when they were growing up, leaving them a bit bitter and weary towards other people.

They may feel the painful effects of loneliness and isolation and want to ... make initial steps to get a social life going, but then they don't quite have the motivation to follow through on them.

Studies have shown that lonely people tend to be more cynical and negative about other people...
It may also have routes in somewhat justified feelings of being different, left-out, and alienated. A past of social experiences that haven't gone well may also have left a lonely person feeling jaded about other people.

That describes me pretty well, though I wish it did not. I have even told people that I work with something to the effect of "I am here to do a job, not make friends. If you don't like that, tough honeysuckle."

Then I go home and begin to think that I have totally made life miserable for myself by making the decisions that I have and pushing others away. It's only when the memories of my past and all that has been said to me over the years come back to mind that I feel "justified" in doing so.

People DO judge you by the current state of your social life (ie. lack of). Particularly women, they see a guy with few friends and not much going on; they see a creep, loser, potential stalker, someone who could be dangerous.

I think it's entirely valid to feel self-concious about it.

They become experts at distracting themselves from their loneliness

It's relatively easy to occupy spare hours in front of a TV, computer, or video game console. Some people even use alcohol or dope to take the edge off. People can also get good at structuring the times they do routine errands, so it almost feels like they're busy and have things going on in their life. Obviously this doesn't do anything to fix the underlying problem.

They get too comfortable in their rut

When your social life isn't where you want it to be you can find yourself in a situation where you wish it was better, but at the same time you're used things how they are now. Like the point above mentions, maybe you've gotten really good at filling your time with things that are a half-decent substitute for socializing. Being comfortable like this can be insidious in that on some level you want to improve your situation, but you're not feeling enough of a push to really go after it. It's easier to stay in for another weekend.

This isn't exactly a "mistake", but it can stymie someone's ability to establish relationships all the same. People who become lonely may be more shy and anxious in the first place or not have as much of a built-in need to be social. They may also have been ostracized in one form or another when they were growing up, leaving them a bit bitter and weary towards other people.

They may feel the painful effects of loneliness and isolation and want to escape them, but at the same time they're not 100% keen on being around other people. This can get them stuck in a pattern where sometimes they'll feel lonely enough that they make initial steps to get a social life going, but then they don't quite have the motivation to follow through on them.

Studies have shown that lonely people tend to be more cynical and negative about other people. This could be a cause or effect of being lonely, or both. In practice this manifests in a picky, superior, or snobby attitude. It may be an over compensation for insecurity, anxiety, or low self-esteem. It may also have routes in somewhat justified feelings of being different, left-out, and alienated. A past of social experiences that haven't gone well may also have left a lonely person feeling jaded about other people.

[/quote]

That about sums it all up for me.

The only things they left out of that article are:
They don't know where to find other people.
They don't know how to date.

Very helpful, enlightening article. Please send more when you find them!

I can relate to feeling the need to hide the truth, especially with popular social types. Also can relate to having the idea that I need to be perfect to have friends. That belief has gotten in the way of a lot of experiences in life...

I want to add...energy levels. I am a morning person and after a busy day running around, doing chores, etc, often it's so hard to go out. I just don't feel up to it. The next morning, though, when I am feeling good, I often regret not going. I just need to push and force myself I guess.

rdor said:
People DO judge you by the current state of your social life (ie. lack of). Particularly women, they see a guy with few friends and not much going on; they see a creep, loser, potential stalker, someone who could be dangerous.

I think it's entirely valid to feel self-concious about it.

That's very biased though. I mean, not everyone has a social life. Not everyone has friends. Some of us aren't as fortunate to have that luxury such as friendship and companionship, but that should never be anything to be ashamed of. We know we aren't the ONLY ones experiencing this. I have a feeling that one day,this minority will become a majority...

All the answers are inside you, allthe problems are outside you, if you can't change circomstances, you must change

This is a great site overall, check out the other articles.

I don't think I'm lonely but I have done and still do some things listed. I think I do them out of stubbornness. If a friend does something I dislike, I will pull them on it. If it escalates and we fall out, I wont care. I'm the type of guy who would cut my nose off to spite my face lol.

Latest posts

Back