scrawny guy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snow

Reaction score
I hate being skinny. I've always been thin my whole life and think that's one reason why women don't like me. I'm 6' tall but still thinner than most guys and have really tiny arms. On top of it I'm really clumsy and just make things look really difficult when I try anything. I've tried working out but it never does anything and I just end up getting sick. Women seem to want a guy that can protect them not some twig, no matter how funny or interesting my personality is. What makes it worse is that I have a thing for tall women.

I keep trying to forget my insecurity about it but today I was eating my lunch in the breakroom. I had a nice mound of chinese food and my coworkers were sort of making fun of me since I eat so much but can't gain weight. =(

snow said:
I hate being skinny. I've always been thin my whole life and think that's one reason why women don't like me. I'm 6' tall but still thinner than most guys and have really tiny arms. On top of it I'm really clumsy and just make things look really difficult when I try anything. I've tried working out but it never does anything and I just end up getting sick. Women seem to want a guy that can protect them not some twig, no matter how funny or interesting my personality is. What makes it worse is that I have a thing for tall women.

I keep trying to forget my insecurity about it but today I was eating my lunch in the breakroom. I had a nice mound of chinese food and my coworkers were sort of making fun of me since I eat so much but can't gain weight. =(

Have you checked to see if you have an over-active thyroid?

People do that to me to but I always saw them as just being jealous. Because I know I dont have an over active thyroid. I know I put a little more effort in a day, and I dont eat crap. The teasing may just be a bit of jealousy, which is expected. Being okay with who you are is hard though. However as a skinny guy I like being skinny. I never weighed over 145- and i normally way around 130 last i checked was like 4 years ago. And I am 6 feet to.

People have lots of obsession about their weight, but if you feel confident in your personality believe me being skinny isnt a problem. Granted I know the feeling of wanting muscle I never minded that I was a bit boney. So I can understand some of your problems, but as a person who has had those same jokes they havent hurt nearly as much as somethings to me. Which means we just have different fears I guess. But as one skinny guy to another its not a problem, with woman, because they have different tastes just like we do.

I had some friends who granted this was high school, but their was this skinny pale, sickly looking goth guy with a mow hawk and they were like omg hes so hot. And I was like wtf. He looks like he could die at any moment.

Collette- Thanks for the advice, I will ask the doc if I can find a good one. I'm terrified of doctors but if this is something that can be helped I'll do it.

frey- I usually weigh around 155 which isn't too far off normal but I still look smaller. At a party I was at the other day I was having a good time with all the girls then the hot one says to me out of the blue 'I don't like you. You are too skinny." Wtf!!
Though I should have said 'You are just making excuses for your self'!

Wish I had your problem growing up, mine was the opposite.:p

Not sure what your excersize routine was, but a common problem people have is trying to diet and gain muscle at the same time, its just not going to happen. To gain muscle you need calories, and mostly protien.

Id recomend going to a GNC and looking at something like "Muscle Milk" It will help you bulk up. As for your routine start out with a few minutes of cardio just to warm up, then hit the weights. Try focusing on a specific muscle group each day. Do as many reps as you can with a weight thats challenging for you.
Switch up your routine, dont do the same excersizes every day, and try and keep the day of the week you do a specific msucle group changing (its more efective that way).

Hope some of this info helps. Depending on what your diet is you may not need protien suppliments, I needed them because if I ate enough protien for my needs I usually ended up consuming too many calories and I never lost any weight. But your not trying to lose weight :D

snow said:

mmmmm we have a lot in common snow, I'm also really skinny and love Chinese food and people always make jokes about how much I eat and don't gain weight. I love to eat an entire carton of pork fried rice, you know the large ones, and I eat all that in one go, just an example of how much I eat it's crazy I've weighed 110 lbs for like a year, sometimes it pisses me off to think I'm stuck at this weight 45 lbs below anywhere average for a 19 yr old 5' 9", with bones showing everywhere it's crazy.... Maybe I'll look into that over-active thyroid thing Collete mentioned, I don't recall ever being tested for that yet...As far as what sloth said with the proteins drinks and stuff, I personally can't keep them down they are vile to me maybe I just have a weak stomach though.

It does suck to be the smallest person around, I don't know if it's so much that women don't like skinny guys ,it's a matter of how it makes you feel thus how it makes you act, lowering self confidence because you think well, I'm just some freakishly skinny person she wouldn't go for me, when in reality like frey said about the goth guy, it's all about how you act and portray yourself.... and skinny guys can fit into places that no one would even have a chance of fitting, you need behind that oven cleaned, I'm on it, skinny guy away!!:p

snow said:

I'm not sure how old you are, but if you're relatively young (under 25) then you'll probably start to gain weight naturally in a few years as your metabolism changes. Eating a bit more than usual in conjunction with some weight training may help a bit, if you haven't tried it.

At least you're tall. I'm only 5'9" and I have a thing for tall women as well. "Frustrating" just doesn't even begin to cover it. :)

snow said:

Let me tell you dude that there is a lot of ppl out there that would wish they had that problem. I am the same as you in that I cert put weight on and always thought ad look a little better and feel a little better with a bit moor fat on. But I would rather be like this then someone who is fat and can not loss it. There is one thing I could not do and that is diet. My mum only had to look at a caret and she puts weight on.

You are 6 foot. Am like 5 foot 4 so better to be tall and skinny then small and skinny. To be honest my size is not a thing that has ever got to me in any big way. I can make up for that in other ways.

Am sure women don't care if your skinny are not. You are only young, Be for your done I would be willing to bet money that you well put weight on. I do see your point about a women wanting a man that's big and strong so he can look after her. The rugged look, Yea that's one thing I do not have.

keep on charming them and laughing with them and am sure you well real one in one of this days ;)

Too fat. Too tall. Too short. Too skinny. Small tits. Big tits. Little penis. Big penis. It's all bullshit. Don't pay attention to what that girl said because she's shallow which means she's not happy with her looks.

You can be tall but have a small frame. If that's the case then you may only need to put on 10 or so lbs which is doable (is that a real word?) with whole foods, lean meats, and protein shakes.

Exactly colette!

It just shows hoe sad the world is gettin where everyone has to worry about how they look because now days everyone seems to judge on first apperances, not what is underneath

JustLost said:
I'm not sure how old you are, but if you're relatively young (under 25) then you'll probably start to gain weight naturally in a few years as your metabolism changes. Eating a bit more than usual in conjunction with some weight training may help a bit, if you haven't tried it.

At least you're tall. I'm only 5'9" and I have a thing for tall women as well. "Frustrating" just doesn't even begin to cover it. :)

Exactly, my older brother was like that growing up. Hated him for it because he was always the goodlooking skinny guy and I was the chubby one. Guess who has the bigger gut now :D

think someone said something about having problems keeping dow that protien stuff. Although I havent specifically used musclemilk all my friends recomend it and say its the best tasting of the protien shakes, I use another one that dosnt taste as good but is by no means bad (has less calories).

Besides that I find going to the gym is very helpfull with treating my depression. Dont focus on the other people that have been going there for a while because that can be discouraging, but tracking your progress will make you feel better about yourself. Also I find while im there I can forget about my problems or use them positivly to give me strength.

Anyways good luck man.:cool:

Colette said:
Too fat. Too tall. Too short. Too skinny. Small tits. Big tits. Little penis. Big penis. It's all bullshit. Don't pay attention to what that girl said because she's shallow which means she's not happy with her looks.

You can be tall but have a small frame. If that's the case then you may only need to put on 10 or so lbs which is doable (is that a real word?) with whole foods, lean meats, and protein shakes.

Well said,, There is aways going to be something about our bodies that we wont to change.

and amazingly a nuff the word"doable" is a word

How do you work out? You might be putting too much pressure on yourself to start with - while you can't radically change your body shape, I'm confident that if you eat right and focus a bit on working out, you can add some muscle mass to yourself. If not, you might have a health condition that you want to look into.

I think something you said, too, was very important and its awesome that you realize it, though you haven't quite applied it to yourself. You said that girls are looking for someone to protect them - cool. Well, muscle mass isn't the only way to do that; you could look into martial arts. Swordwork will particularly be to your advantage due to your height.

Often, we miss the forest for the trees and focus too much on the details. Most girls I know are looking for someone to make them feel secure and safe, but whether its done because you're big and huge, rich with bodyguards, or really smart and capable of talking your way out of trouble is of lesser importance.

PS: I would kill to have your body type.

Regards,
IO

Yo-

I'm a scrawny guy and I will tell you how I managed to once gain weight. I didn't really eat breakfast, maybe a banana here and there. Lunch was mostly meats and pasta with a glass of milk. Make sure you're full. Have a mid-day snack, like a powerbar or something. Then work out at around 5 p.m., for an hour, starting with cardio (10 mins) and then weights (40 min). Cardio can be running at 6 mph or stairclimber (which is great for legs). Instead of cardio, you can also start with abs, which will be very important down the line since having strong abs is important to preventing back problems. Weight routine should change up every two weeks - first start with full body workout (pm me if you need to know more about this) to get your body warmed up, then super sets (two exercises of the same muscle group consecutively, to failure). Make sure once you've gotten used to working out that you're maxing out cause that will make the muscles bigger. After working out, drink a glass of milk with two cups of whey protein mixed in. Then after showering or whatever, wait about an hour to eat. For dinner, have a little bit of carbs, a salad, and eat a lot of chicken or beef or whatever meat you like to eat. Also have a glass of milk and water. Drink a lot of water continuously throughout the day as you don't want to get tired and dehydrated while you're working out. If drinking the protein shake dampens your hunger too much, then drink it before working out so that by the time you're done you have an appetite to eat dinner.

I did this continuously for a year and gained 15 lbs.

IgnoredOne said:
Most girls I know are looking for someone to make them feel secure and safe, but whether its done because you're big and huge, rich with bodyguards, or really smart and capable of talking your way out of trouble is of lesser importance.
Yup, true.

lonelyloser said:
I did this continuously for a year and gained 15 lbs.
Thanks LL
A full stomach is always better on the mind.
I could give it a try..I already do a little bit of running because it helps my insomnia. I actually have a (small) home gym so I don't have to worry about funny faces going to a gym or memberships. I take vitamins every day now so maybe I won't get sick this time around (though there's always 2-3 people sick at my job at any given time). I'll just have to figure out how to ban myself from online games.

One thing I'd prefer over swordfighting is fire poi. I'm still clumsy but it still looks awesome as long as I keep from burning most of my hair off. Whenever I rave /w glowsticks at parties I don't have much trouble getting girls' phone numbers, so if I could just learn fire poi...:rolleyes:

This time last year I was in the exact same boat as you. I'm 5'11" and weighed around 135lbs. I went to the doctor for a blood test on the thyroid thing and nothing was wrong. Then my doctor suggested an anti-depressant with a side effect for gaining weight. Mirtazapine (or Remeron) I immediately gained about 20 - 25lbs and I bought some protein shakes and worked out and now I am far more confident with my body. I'm around 160lbs now.

Ask your doctor about Mirtazapine and dedicate your life to working out. Your arms will get bigger if you're taking in enough protein and working out extensively, just make sure you work on your legs too or you might end up with a body like Bob Sapp lol (Google him.) Drinking Red Bull helps to gain weight also. Maybe take up a martial art too, playing soccer is amazingly effective for leg strength and cardio.

Great advice, Shogun.

Do what Shogun says... few things are better at improving your self-esteem, and how women perceive you, then working out. If you think muscles are what the ladies want, then who are you to deny them?

Hey snow, if being skinny is the only thing that bothers you, I'd say you're pretty lucky. Personally, I'm perfectly okay with thin guys. What I cannot understand, where do people get that funny notion about women wanting a heap of muscles to protect them... from what exactly? It's not like we're in a constant danger of being attacked :p As far as the body types go, I'd never been a fan of bulging muscles, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

Ah but your coworkers likely do not have the same blessing (yeah I'd say it's a blessing rather than a curse), imagine having to worry about calories every time you catch the sight of that delicious aromatic heap of junk food, all the while engaging in a heated argument with yourself whether you should or shouldn't... well, you get my drift :D

Silvernight said:
Hey snow, if being skinny is the only thing that bothers you, I'd say you're pretty lucky. Personally, I'm perfectly okay with thin guys. What I cannot understand, where do people get that funny notion about women wanting a heap of muscles to protect them... from what exactly? It's not like we're in a constant danger of being attacked :p

Hahaha! Well said. I've wondered the same myself, but I think its the same thing about us guys having an eye for large busts and wide hips, even though most of us aren't exactly eager to be fathers. I suspect a lot of attraction is subconscious, so while women aren't in constant danger of being attacked anymore, there's a subconscious attraction toward fitness because of the past when fit men were better providers and protectors.

As far as the body types go, I'd never been a fan of bulging muscles, but I guess that's a matter of taste.

I think that a lot of women would agree with you - this is where men confuse their own tastes for female tastes. I do think that, generally, women prefer fit men, but not bulging muscles. Bulging muscles, though, is what we men find intimidating, impressive or worthy of respect. And we guys like projecting our beliefs upon others a lot.

All of this is a fairly moot point, ultimately. Studies show that women generally select for the best providers for steady relationships, and these days, that has more to do with prosperity than physical strength. One test showed that most women consistently selected well-dressed, physically unimpressive men over professional male models dressed in Mcdonald's uniforms with an 80% certainty.

Men are actually a lot more shallow in our selection, and that's probably why we project it on women as well. In the same above study, without any other information to work on, men consistently selected professional female models over ordinary women regardless of what they wore. And with 95% certainty.

Regards,
IO

Latest posts

Back