what was the last movie you saw?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
9po16Mi.jpg

Watched 'KillBill' last night - I hadn't seen it in a while - forgotten the sheer magnitude of the awesomeness of that movie. Quentin Tarantino can do no wrong when it comes to filmmaking.

522BloD.jpg

Der Kaiser von Kalifornien (1936)

Initially it seems a little surprising that Germany would produce a fair number of movies on the Old West of the states. Then considering how many movies the States has made on Knights, Vikings, Ancient Rome and the like, it probably isn't very unusual.

The film is the story of John Sutter (Johann Suter) the owner of Sutter's Mill, best known as the starting place of the California Gold Rush of 1848. Based on the book "Der Kaiser von Kalifornien" by Luis Trenker. Trenker also directed the film and starred as Suter.

As can be expected from such films, historical fact can often take a back seat to artistic license and in this case you get a rather sanitized version of John Sutter beginning by portraying him leaving Europe as some type of political dissident.

Winner of the Mussolini Cup for best foreign film at the Venice Film Festival in 1936.

PCr5EMr.jpg

Georg Wilhelm Pabst first talking motion picture. Came out the same year as "All Quiet on the Western Front" which it is similar to.

'Strangers: Prey at night'.

A netflix movie. A slasher flick based on a trailer park. Some good elements - I get sick of the psychopaths in these films being men - nice to see the pretty blonde play 'psycho' for a change. Wasn't too thrilled about the annoyingly cliched 'cop turns up with a loaded gun to save the day, but gets stabbed with a dinky little knife' scene.

Still, a decent movie to watch if you want your thirst for slasher fun quenched.

halloween4.jpg

I enjoyed it more than I expected. I'm normally picky with horror films lol. I'm glad they retconned all the other sequels.

2036: Origin Unknown.
- I'm actually kind of surprised it got such bad reviews. I liked it. It's very much a...philosophical, movie, though. That could possibly be why.

IncolaVacui said:
2036: Origin Unknown.
- I'm actually kind of surprised it got such bad reviews. I liked it. It's very much a...philosophical, movie, though. That could possibly be why.

I just watched that the other day.  I didn't think it was horrible and I did kind of enjoy it a little.  But aside from it being not the same as every other movie there is, I don't think I would really call it "good" though.  It kind of bordered on boring.  I was expecting more than just an entire movie essentially set in one room.  It could have been a lot better.

Latest posts

Back