Going numb...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tomuchnothing

this post most likely is not going to make that much sense but I just hope that someone out there can relate to it or maybe even be able to help with it.

Just very recently I have began to feel as if I am going numb inside. Like I used to cry quite a bit or feel sad then I would also be able to feel very happy. I have always been able to feel my emotions very clearly and that would show. It was a part of who I am.

Now back to the numb part. As I said, recenly I have been staring to feel like I am going numb. By this I mean that I'm beginning to not be able to feel my emotions as much anymore. Like I still know when I'm happy or sad but its like it dosnt effect me, that's probly not the best explanation.

For example a sad part in a movie use to be able to make me cry vey easily, where as now I would be able to feel the sadness inside but it would be distant.

Yes distant is the world I'm looking for I think. My feeligs are in a way becoming distant from me.

I dont want to become numb though, I would much rather want to be able to feel miserable bcause at least I would be feeling something. By feeling miserable I would know that there was still the possibility of feeling happy.

I just want to be able to cry again.

Someone out there might be able to explain it better hen me because I know I've done a bad job but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

Sometimes feeling numb is a good thing, but not when it's an extended feeling.

I have had trouble with not being able to 'feel' on several different occassions. Once it was a side effect on a medication I was taking, - I hated feeling like a zombie, and had to give the meds up. In my mind the benefit of feeling human again far outweighed the medical benefits the drug was giving me. I'm guessing you would have mentioned if you were taking any sort of medication that could be a culprit, though.

Other times, I believe it was an effect of being bored, or stuck in a monotonous routine that caused it. There have been several times in my life that I haven't felt any interest in anything, and as a consequence I've just sort of faded into this half being, incapable of feeling anything much. The way I save myself from these 'rutts', is by making a change in my life.....maybe you need something new in your life as well.

My reply is crap I'm afraid. I do know what it feels like, though.

diamond-dancer said:
Sometimes feeling numb is a good thing, but not when it's an extended feeling.

I have had trouble with not being able to 'feel' on several different occassions. Once it was a side effect on a medication I was taking, - I hated feeling like a zombie, and had to give the meds up. In my mind the benefit of feeling human again far outweighed the medical benefits the drug was giving me. I'm guessing you would have mentioned if you were taking any sort of medication that could be a culprit, though.

Other times, I believe it was an effect of being bored, or stuck in a monotonous routine that caused it. There have been several times in my life that I haven't felt any interest in anything, and as a consequence I've just sort of faded into this half being, incapable of feeling anything much. The way I save myself from these 'rutts', is by making a change in my life.....maybe you need something new in your life as well.

My reply is crap I'm afraid. I do know what it feels like, though.

Yup, I think mediction's do this to most people. Every medication I have ever tried made me feel like a zombie. Or actually made me feel worse. More stressed, more depressed. Sleeping pills that did nothing at all or made me drunk 24/7 and only helped with sleep a few days.

Feeling numb sucks. It's kinda like your head is stuffed in a huge ball of cotton. You can't think or really feel much of anything.

Im glad im not the only one that feels this way then, thank you for replying.

Im not on any medication or anything so im not quite sure what has caused it.

Im feeling a lot better about stuff this morning though, it must just have been one of those nights

I actually do feel that way.It isn't continuous but it does have some constancy. For example I may cry over something that is so petty while something of a more tragical magnitude, I feel nothing.
I really hate it. A couple of weeks ago there was a commercial on animal abuse, it made my cry. But a lot of the time I hear about child abuse or death and I feel absolutely nothing, it's almost as if i could really care less about it. And I absolutely hate myself for it....there's so sympathy.
This "numb" feeling is very prominent in most situations I encounter. I honestly don't know how to defeat or overcome it and actually show some emotion in such situations of bad news. It's something about myself I haven't quite come to terms with and that I hate myself for.
But don't let it get to you TOO much. I think sometimes we need to go through these plateaus that lack catharxsis. You'll get through it hun.

tomuchnothing said:
Just very recently I have began to feel as if I am going numb inside. Like I used to cry quite a bit or feel sad then I would also be able to feel very happy. I have always been able to feel my emotions very clearly and that would show. It was a part of who I am.
Same here. I'm easily affected by other people's emotions around me as well as in the movies or shows. I could cry buckets lol just watching a sad movie.

tomuchnothing said:
I dont want to become numb though, I would much rather want to be able to feel miserable bcause at least I would be feeling something. By feeling miserable I would know that there was still the possibility of feeling happy.

I just want to be able to cry again.

Someone out there might be able to explain it better hen me because I know I've done a bad job but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.
I can relate to this well.

About a year ago, when I had to go through a loss..initially I was filled with lots of emotions and were able to show it. And then sometime later..I became numb. Felt weird though that I couldn't cry anymore for what I was going through. Didn't feel right also at that time.

But that has passed and awhile ago I was back to where I was a year ago. I feel again, I can cry, I can smile and show my emotions again.

So don't worry, I'm sure it'll pass, it probably takes a different timing to get through it. And like I agree with stone-rose as well, you'll get through it. Just don't give up even when you think you're numb. :)

Latest posts

Back