Dating sites are depressing

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

putter65

Reaction score
They just reinforce my opinion that I'm not good enough to attract women. They may work for other people but not for me. It's just a big waste of time and effort.

I find it depressing that people judge others on the basis of 200-word profile accompanied by an awkward photograph taken off the reflection of a (dimly lit) bathroom mirror. Have new relationships, friendships or otherwise, really come down to this?

Everyone is capable of attracting someone but not everyone can be summed up in 200 words or less. You have more to offer than that, don’t give up hope!

If the number of threads I see online are any indication, they don't work very well for *a lot* of people. Even the guy I know who did meet his girlfriend there said it's a numbers game, and he was using those sites for a year with very little luck before finally meeting her. Best not to take them too seriously, I think.

If it affects your mood in a bad way, maybe you should stop and consolidate.

Lost Drifter said:
I find it depressing that people judge others on the basis of 200-word profile accompanied by an awkward photograph taken off the reflection of a (dimly lit) bathroom mirror. Have new relationships, friendships or otherwise, really come down to this?

Everyone is capable of attracting someone but not everyone can be summed up in 200 words or less. You have more to offer than that, don’t give up hope!

Maybe but not with online dating.

Tealeaf said:
If the number of threads I see online are any indication, they don't work very well for *a lot* of people. Even the guy I know who did meet his girlfriend there said it's a numbers game, and he was using those sites for a year with very little luck before finally meeting her. Best not to take them too seriously, I think.

I actually changed my profile, did a spoof one. It was really silly. Posted it on my facebook and my friends on there were pissing themselves with laughter. On that the dating site, I got one message from somebody who thought it was genuine. lol

perfanoff said:

yes i will probably do that

putter65 said:
Lost Drifter said:

Tealeaf said:

I actually changed my profile, did a spoof one. It was really silly. Posted it on my facebook and my friends on there were pissing themselves with laughter. On that the dating site, I got one message from somebody who thought it was genuine. lol

perfanoff said:

putter65 said:
Lost Drifter said:

Tealeaf said:

perfanoff said:

putter65 said:
Lost Drifter said:

Tealeaf said:

perfanoff said:

It's hard to ignore, all the people who are in love or having kids or getting married or getting engaged. People who are going on dates, getting asked out. It's everywhere, on the internet, magazines, tv, films - makes me sick but what can you do about it ? Nothing ! Just plod on I guess.

I used to be active on the free sites, but I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm probably going to be alone for the rest of my life. So, I spend my money on me now. Travel, gadgets, etc. :)

LonelyInAtl said:
I used to be active on the free sites, but I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm probably going to be alone for the rest of my life. So, I spend my money on me now. Travel, gadgets, etc. :)

I'm never ever going to spend any money on dating sites again !
Waste of money.

I did however get a message on Plenty of fish dating site. She seems real nice. Lives quite close as well.

dude.....dating sites or anything else in life...just re-enforce whatever the fresia it is about me.

I recently join a free dating site. I didnt even complete my profile or post a pic of me.
I simply enteracted in a couple of post. One post especifically, I wrote about how
hot chicks hits on me and I've been asked out my pretty chicks most of my life....
Guess what???....I had hot chicks sending me PMs and posting in that thread
saying how sexy I am.
Even with ny improper grammer n wacked out spelling :p

Im not single anymore....Guys like me dont stay single for that long.lol

If i was to post a pic of me in my profile...it would be this.
Im too sexy for a shirt.lmao
mike-0004.jpg

Lonesome Crow said:
dude.....dating sites or anything else in life...just re-enforce whatever the fresia it is about me.

I recently join a free dating site. I didnt even complete my profile or post a pic of me.
I simply enteracted in a couple of post. One post especifically, I wrote about how
hot chicks hits on me and I've been asked out my pretty chicks most of my life....
Guess what???....I had hot chicks sending me PMs and posting in that thread
saying how sexy I am.
Even with ny improper grammer n wacked out spelling :p

Im not single anymore....Guys like me dont stay single for that long.lol

If i was to post a pic of me in my profile...it would be this.
Im too sexy for a shirt.lmao
mike-0004.jpg

So I basically lie ?

I mean I have my age on there 44 years and longest relationship is under a year. That kills it straight away !

Anyway, nice to see your back on here !

i tried quite a few dating sites like 2 years ago and it found very few "matches" in my area. and even then... i cant get matched with someone that way. they arent accurate when it comes to me because i need to talk to the person and get a feel for their personality because thats way more important than anything else to me. i ended up meeting someone on a message board and talking with them for a while and it eventually went from friends to i think i like you more than friends to lets meet to being more than friends. the distance sucks though. i think that if personality is super important to you then dating sites arent very good. youd probably be better off talking with people on a message board of something you find interesting.

edgecrusher said:
i tried quite a few dating sites like 2 years ago and it found very few "matches" in my area. and even then... i cant get matched with someone that way. they arent accurate when it comes to me because i need to talk to the person and get a feel for their personality because thats way more important than anything else to me. i ended up meeting someone on a message board and talking with them for a while and it eventually went from friends to i think i like you more than friends to lets meet to being more than friends. the distance sucks though. i think that if personality is super important to you then dating sites arent very good. youd probably be better off talking with people on a message board of something you find interesting.

I could take my pick of women who happen to live in another country. Piss easy with them, they offer mobile numbers, facebook allsorts straight away.

The closer they are, the less bothered they are !

It's not worth the hassle !

putter65 said:
So I basically lie ?

I mean I have my age on there 44 years and longest relationship is under a year. That kills it straight away !

Im not saying you lied....

Im saying whatever it is that happens on the outside of me are
just reflections of what's going on inside of me. Whether it's online
or offline.

No matter what anyone say or thinks about me....
No matter what society, governments, religion...ect say.
At the very core of me I KNOW, Im a very loveable and adorable
person....It would be very egotistic of me to think that Im less deserving
or not loveable.

I attract beautiful drop deads gorgeous women oneway or the other.
A woman or women will always love me oneway or the other.
If other people have a problem or issue with this,...that's thier
fucken guily trip, issues and problems.
Im a very beautiuful person inside and out.
I say this with great confident and awearness....

I love Renae with all my heart. I know this too.....

Lonesome Crow said:
putter65 said:
So I basically lie ?

or offline.

or not loveable.

no I meant I should lie on my profile on the dating site and say Ive had loads of women ?

Ive not bullshitted one bit, 100% true.

Anyway, one woman is writing to me. Only lives 25 miles away and wants to meet for coffee.

putter65 said:
Lonesome Crow said:
putter65 said:
So I basically lie ?

or offline.

or not loveable.

no I meant I should lie on my profile on the dating site and say Ive had loads of women ?

Anyway, one woman is writing to me. Only lives 25 miles away and wants to meet for coffee.

Congratulations! Definitely something to look forward to!

perfanoff said:
putter65 said:
Lonesome Crow said:
putter65 said:
So I basically lie ?

or offline.

or not loveable.

Congratulations! Definitely something to look forward to!

Yes I hope it happens :)

Sounds good about meeting up for coffee!

I'm not a fan of the whole online dating scene but I was going to suggest that you find the right site, imean there are millions and most of the popular ones are just that because it's an easy jiggy in the sack with someone (if you know what I mean haha). But I think if your serious then there will be a site to suite you where people are more relaxed and mature...

Dating sites from my experience, are a lot like the real world. They consist of a lot of people who only want one thing annnd many people who like to judge on face value. In this case, your profile.

Go for it!!
I'm on a dating site but because I have no choice...seriously...no one in real life bothers with me...and before everyone goes on it's because of my negative attitude...might be 50/50 true...when I was bubbly, happy and actually felt good about myself...gained NOTHING...too much rejection and isolation made me what I am today...ugh, I hate meeting with people from the internet...they play themselves up to be more than they are and then they end up constructing some fantasy of how I should be...I always tell them, I prefer to meet in person soon to see if we click but then they want to communicate online longer...and build more fantasies. When that happens, the first meeting always goes wrong. -_-

Anyway, meet soon!! Good luck!!

God, I hate online dating...I do it so it's a chance for me to meet people because I never get to meet people...the ones I do, I just often don't click personality wise...not really an extrovert...if you wanna talk about online dating...you have my ears!! Keep us updated.

I find internet dating very hard, but as I have had no luck meeting someone the 'normal' way, it is hard to know what else to do. It is depressing though. When you first start, it seems that there are so many people out there who might be right for you, but as time goes on and after a series of awkward meetings with forced conversation, you start to wonder what is wrong with you.

Latest posts

Back