Router Vs. Modem

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving into another room where there isn't a jack to connect my modem to. A tech for the company suggested using a router instead. I've never used a router. Is there anything that I need to know about routers? Are they inferior to modems? Do they have many problems? Will my computer still run as well using one instead of a modem?

I'm using Vista Home Premium. My computer is a Dell Inspiron 531S.

Godspeed.
LK

Uh, well you still need a modem. A router allows you to connect multiple computers to one network. The modem plugs into the router. The only thing you have to do is run a cable from the router to your computer. You said company, so is this at work or at home? At home you could just get a wireless modem, then it just stays where it is and you connect with a wireless jack into your computer or if your computer has wireless built in. Most laptops now do. Or you could just get a wireless router too so you don't have to worry about feeding cables all over the place. Routers are mainly for multiple computer networks. With a wireless modem you can use any computer to log on as long as it is in range. My brother has a wireless modem at my moms. He can use his laptop in his room or his PC in the basement (where the modem sits). If I knew his password I could log in when I visit since my notebook has wireless built in. But alas I don't and he won't tell me.

There are also different types of routers, you need the right one for your setup. Where I work we have a router that can connect up to 4 computers, there are only 2 on it right now because one doesn't work and the forth is just a spare line. We used to have a VPN router because we once tried connecting two separate locations together to use one server, that didn't always work so well. Now we just have a standard Cable/DSL router.

I'm going to stop adding to this now.

Routers can be a bit complicated to set up, especially if you use P2P software or play games over the net, some more than others though, but if your ISP advises you to get one then maybe they can set it up for you? I'd definitely revise up on them before getting one.

Most modern modems are built in as part of a DSL router. So yes, its better for all practical purposes. Whatever complication that it offers, is essentially more features.

If you don't have anything to plug into in the other room, then a normal router won't do anything since the router has to plug into something.
Wireless would be the only way to go unless it's not an extremely long run and you don't mind having a cable running across the floor from one room to the other room.

Just don't get a crap wireless one. Or else you may find yourself having to sit right next to it to get a good signal lol.

Latest posts

Back