Finally hit me yesterday

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LonelyInAtl

Reaction score
We went through an insurance carrier change at work and as such, I was required to name a beneficiary for my life insurance. After my divorce it had never really hit me how alone I am until I realized that I really had no one to put as a beneficiary. Wow....

My next of kin is my Mum. And when I think about that more deeply, I realise that unless someone special comes into my life, I'll be even more lonely than I am now when my parents are gone.

Yeah I don't really have anyone as my next of kin either. Besides family. If I were to leave anything of value behind when I died and I had no one special to pass my stuff onto, I'd say let it go to Charity.

I am sorry, Lonely :( I wish you be not-so-lonely sooner rather than later!

LonelyInAtl said:
After my divorce it had never really hit me how alone I am until I realized that I really had no one to put as a beneficiary. Wow....

I can empathise with this; my benefactor should I ever die at work (and haunt that old place) is a local children’s hospital. It took months of pushing to get that on there and its both tiresome and embarrassing having to explain to people that nope, some of us really don’t have any family or friends.

The sad thing is having to make a 'to-do' list for anyone who finds you should you die at home!

I have no family other than two distant cousins, so have no next of kin either.
Lost Drifter-I never thought of the to do list. As I could be found at home, this would be something I should be thinking of.

MadMonkè said:
adopt a kid... if the budget allows it.
Adopting process is not so easy...or at least not in my country.

I can understand how some people don't have any families. But there are other people...like friends. Or someone that you're most close to.

the company that controls my old 401K periodically bugs me because I have not set up any beneficiaries. They send me the paperwork and I just put it in the trash.

wow, I never thought about beneficiaries, my relatives where always the ones with more money than me, and now they are all getting pretty old, I guess maybe one old friend who is always down and out could benefit. But, yeah, not having much to leave solves the problem already :)

My estate, if I died now, would be around $1m including retirement, house, and all assets. I just worked with my lawyer this week and made the American Cancer Society (In memory of Mom), American Heart Association (In memory of Dad), The NRA, the ASPCA, and the American Humane Society (along with some local chapters) my beneficiaries.

Latest posts

Back