Windows 7 IP address conflict

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ghost Boy

Reaction score
Hello. I've been having this problem with my laptop for last couple of days. It keeps saying Windows has detected an IP Address conflict and because of this it won't connect to the internet. I've tried one solution which is going into the command prompt and release and renew IP address but I still have no such luck. Anyone who knows anything about how to resolve is more than welcome to help. Thank you in advance.

Are you on a home network in that you have multiple computers that connect off the same network?
Is it a wireless connection?

Ok i'll tell you how to try something, I'm not sure if your connected to a router or not, but try it anyway, if it doesen't work you can always reverse it.

It sounds like your IP address is set manually, and whoever done it has also used the same IP for another device, there's a very easy way to do this, open command prompt (Start>Run: CMD) and type 'netsh interface ip set address name=”YOUR CONNECTION NAME” source=dhcp' and then 'netsh interface ip set dnsservers name=”YOUR CONNECTION NAME” source=dhcp'.

Where 'YOUR CONNECTION NAME' is you put your actual connection name your using.

This will set your connection to obtain IP's automatically from your router eliminating conflicting errors. If you don't know what default network adaptor your using (If you have two or more) you can view them by typing 'ipconfig /all' in command, or alternatively go to run again and type 'ncpa.cpl' which will open up Network Connections.

I don't know anything about wireless and my computer networking skills are not all up to par. I did a search on the internet and found a variety of issues people were having and getting that error.

One person mentioned that with wireless that someone else could be using your connection and happening to have the same IP.
Another is like 9006 said and that you didn't set things up as DHCP. I've never done that from the command prompt and have set up my network connection via the network connection thing in the control panel. Either way will get you there.

Yeah I decided to turn off and restart my router, now my laptop and our androids are able to connect to the internet now. Go figure :/

Ok then, if your not comfortable with command, here's an alternative to what I've said:

Go to Start>Run, type ncpa.cpl and smash enter(Or control Panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Centre>Change Adaptor Settings), this will bring up Network Connections, right click your wireless network connection and select properties, now select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) from the list and click properties. Now on the following screen select Obtain IP Address Automatically and then Obtain DNS Server Automatically, bang OK then Close and your done!

Reset your computer and once it tries to connect to your network again, there shouldn't be any conflict.

Latest posts

Back