The Money vs Happiness Crossroads

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Compton

Reaction score
I'm going to keep this short as possible...

I grew up as a musician, loving writing and always knew clearly through teens and my twenties this is the path I wanted, my passion. I worked my way through my twenties doing music and sound degrees and doing really, really well on both until finally struggling through the TV industry to become a sound engineer, a job I got within three years (which is really quick) and was proud of it.

Here is the thing. Through my five years in TV in London all I have done is lose money and gained no capital. I've actually come out in debt. I've hit 30 and I've some kind of crisis because I cannot stop looking at my contemporaries, my friends and what they have achieved. Most didn't follow the musical path and have office based jobs, they are paid really well and have houses and cars and I don't understand why I don't have this.

they know I am a stupidly hard working person but I have nothing. I took the hard route, the struggle for work, being a runner and having no money for years and years, kissing ass and slogging away to realise a dream.

But I'm 30, and I can't help think that was a dream of a man in his 20's, a cool job. I can't help resent my friends and people I know for taking the easy option and it paying off... a cruel irony.

Im staying at my parents right now and I have NO IDEA what I should do career wise.... totally lost. TV just reeks of poorness and endless struggle. Im not greedy but I want to make sure I have enough money for things like looking after my parents, securing a pension etc....

And how Im ever gonna attract a girl is beyond me.... I used to find it really easy and have been lucky to have several very beautiful gf in my twenties.

I'm not feeling pity for myself, I just want equality, my more fair world....

The world is a cruel and unfair place, unfortunately. The security of money is indeed one of the few things of steady comfort.

See if your friends can get you a job within the companies they work in.

Hey Bill, if money's what you want then maybe it is time to rethink your career, but don't beat yourself up for following your dream. Dreams are the stuff we're made of and good for you for pursuing yours. I've always found that if I can't do what I love at work I do it at home as a hobby. I'd never tell anyone that money equals happiness, but lack of money can certainly equal stress. Good Luck.

~ Bloom

i think its unfortunate that our society has developed in a way where money has become idolized in pop culture. sure we need it to get by if we want certain things, but there is more to life than that.

youll find something that u like .maybe look into goin back to school?maybe?
i wish i could .but school was never my strong point.
i have a very dead end job.it just pays the bills.
i also live with parent .but it will work out for u im sure
love will make it way to everyone one day.i hope i find it too

Bill Compton said:
I'm going to keep this short as possible...

I grew up as a musician, loving writing and always knew clearly through teens and my twenties this is the path I wanted, my passion. I worked my way through my twenties doing music and sound degrees and doing really, really well on both until finally struggling through the TV industry to become a sound engineer, a job I got within three years (which is really quick) and was proud of it.

Here is the thing. Through my five years in TV in London all I have done is lose money and gained no capital. I've actually come out in debt. I've hit 30 and I've some kind of crisis because I cannot stop looking at my contemporaries, my friends and what they have achieved. Most didn't follow the musical path and have office based jobs, they are paid really well and have houses and cars and I don't understand why I don't have this.

they know I am a stupidly hard working person but I have nothing. I took the hard route, the struggle for work, being a runner and having no money for years and years, kissing ass and slogging away to realise a dream.

But I'm 30, and I can't help think that was a dream of a man in his 20's, a cool job. I can't help resent my friends and people I know for taking the easy option and it paying off... a cruel irony.

Im staying at my parents right now and I have NO IDEA what I should do career wise.... totally lost. TV just reeks of poorness and endless struggle. Im not greedy but I want to make sure I have enough money for things like looking after my parents, securing a pension etc....

And how Im ever gonna attract a girl is beyond me.... I used to find it really easy and have been lucky to have several very beautiful gf in my twenties.

I'm not feeling pity for myself, I just want equality, my more fair world....

Artists have never made much money, on average.

There are heaps and heaps of people who work jobs they don't like in order to support themselves. By this age I'm not sure you're qualified for anything else. Maybe you can get a sales job if it is better paid. Or you can move out to a smaller city where stuff will be cheaper and you could maybe save more.

Latest posts

Back