Is it worth it to work towards a computer diploma/degree part-time cuz technology...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Stars

changes all the time?

Not sure where to ask this...thinking of a career change...doing it part-time would take me about 5-7 years...

Can't afford to go full-time...I have to support myself...

Would like suggestions and advice please...

The technology is always in motion, but you can keep ahead of the curve if you know the right people. It depends heavily if you enjoy the field and can keep up in it.

IgnoredOne said:
The technology is always in motion, but you can keep ahead of the curve if you know the right people. It depends heavily if you enjoy the field and can keep up in it.

I ended up getting my degree in Information Technology. I do computer programming.

Most of what I learned is just the basics. The foundation upon which all programming languages are based. All programming languages have for...next loops, while loops, switch statements, etc. Object oriented languages have classes, methods, member variables, inheritance, polymorphism, interfaces, etc.

My point is - it is not a big deal if the technology CHANGES. Once you lay the foundation, you can pick-up on any new language that comes along. I program in C#, but before that I programmed in Visual Basic, Delphi, C++ (MFC) and also did some scripting. They all provide similar functionality, differing only a little bit in syntax.

Whatever you decide to pursue, that is what you will learn - you will learn the basics. The foundation for building a career. That will always serve you well. Most importantly, earning a degree can imply some things about you. That you are able to learn. That you are able to synthesize information. That you know how to research and find answers to questions on your own. That you are able to work in a team. That you finish what you begin (evidenced by completing your degree).

Often times, the employer is more interested in THESE kinds of qualities perhaps more than actual real world knowledge of what they are hiring for. That kind of thing can be learned on the job. What can't be learned is the KIND of approach to problem solving that you acquire in school. That is the value that your degree will bring to the interview and to your day to day job.

Good luck!

Computer technology does move fast, no denying that, but when I was doing my deploma an others it's kind of a big deal when something new comes out, there's always someone who you can learn off or hear about something new from, I suppose if your interested in different aspects of IT then it wont be a problem, as you'll naturally want to learn something new.

As tom_lonely said, if something changes it's OK because as you learn, new things become easier to understand, most new things are just improvements on current technology. For example, I also learned programming languages, and I started leaning Visual Basic and HTML but at the time it was moving so fast, HTML 3.0 came by, then 4.0 along with other aspects of web programming and eventually led to web-based site builders where you don't need to know any HTML or anything. I still know alot of VB now but that also advanced (Well, I think it's a dumbed down version) to .NET.

I think that if you enjoy IT and really want to make a go at it, it wont be much of a problem. Another thing to note is that when you do get your qualifications and you go looking for IT based jobs, alot of places with good rates of pay now want aload of experience along with the qualifications (unless you have connections of course) so you may have to start at the bottom and work your way up, so that's something else to keep in mind.

Technology moves fast, but with dedication you should be able to keep up. My father was a programmer starting in his late twenties and he didn't really start to struggle against the waves of new technology and new workers until he was almost fifty.

If you want a peek at coding, I'd recommend Python. You can see encouraging results quickly, and there's tons of tutorials for small beginner programs.

In my opinion, As someone that works in Telecommunications... College is a waste of time. I never went to college, and I never went to a tech school. I am a network Optimization Technician for a Communications company. I make changes on are backbone Network, DS1 to OC192 circuits. I started out as a Circuit Designer at WorldCom back in 2000. I busted my ass, learned everything I could and worked my way up. I now work 100% from home and on average I work 4 hours a day. I only work when i have projects scheduled.

Now, if I was starting over, I would go to a Tech School, Get a Certification such as Cisco CCNA, Network+, etc...

Just my opinion...

kbhill said:
Now, if I was starting over, I would go to a Tech School, Get a Certification such as Cisco CCNA, Network+, etc...

Just my opinion...

Still need the certs, though. And contractors with half as much experience as you and an advanced degree are known to make close to 190k a year, and 100k even civilianside.

The Certs are good, I said if I was starting again, that is what I would do.
As for your statement about making 190K, That is true, It also true that people with degrees and certs make much, much less
A degree or a certification does not automatically mean you will make a ton of money. It is possible. But, I would rather make $50k doing something I love, than 190K doing something I hate.
I make well over $50k, and I love what I do.

And my company lays off contractors on a regular basis. Then again, we just laid off 200 people Supervisor level all the way up. Thankfully, none of us pee-ons got hit.
Top heavy after 3 buyouts over the last 5 years.

Yeah, its part of the life of a contractor. High pay, with extremely limited security. Its something I enjoy, though, especially since there's no real reason to ever trust a company not to expend you.

If you think you can succeed then go for it. If you have doubts then have a good think. I like to think of doubts as early warnings. So if I doubt something, depending on what it is and what can go wrong, I will decide on weather or not to do it.

IgnoredOne said:
Yeah, its part of the life of a contractor. High pay, with extremely limited security. Its something I enjoy, though, especially since there's no real reason to ever trust a company not to expend you.

I do like the freedom that contractors have. plus, they tend to make a lot more contacts through out the industry as a hole. Which in this industry is a nice thing to have... Contacts across many companies is nice

kbhill said:
I do like the freedom that contractors have. plus, they tend to make a lot more contacts through out the industry as a hole. Which in this industry is a nice thing to have... Contacts across many companies is nice

Its a very tough, very challenging path. Part of its appeal, but definitely not pleasant if you having downtime is important to a person, I think. Pretty much any time off needs to be considered as time to study for the next upcoming thing.

it's never a waste of time to get a degree

there is no guaranteed return on investment

but even if it puts you above candidate b and c in that interview,

that's priceless

just don't go into debt or homeless to afford an education that you will be paying on for thirty years though

i'm pursuing a second degree now

in computers, well, network engineering to be precise

lofty goals of continuing to 4 year, 5 year, or beyond into it

I am in the same boat in a way. Year and a half ago I started a university degree part time. there was no way I was going to take out a loan but had just moved a year before that new job, not great pay but there had to be a way. I been promoted with a little more pay now and it is easier but working more full time hours now.

I found I work way better on my own then ever falling asleep listening to a teacher drone on for an hour and writing notes till my hand cramped. I take my course 1 at a time through Athabasca University in Alberta, Canada. Never been to the university itself, all distance learning. Take my exams at the test center in the local college. Understand its going to take a few more years then the 4 for that type of course but considering most of my courses

I been able to finish in 1-2 months(get a half month headstart due to how the course date starts after registering). Start another while waiting for booked exam date. Difference pricing depending on location you live per course.

Keep working at it and keep up on any changes in the industry by newsletter from a online source or association.

SophiaGrace said:
I thought distance learning earned degrees weren't taken seriously?

Not if you're planning on using the degree in and itself as a notion of worth, but it'll give you a pass in a lot of places if you also know how to do the work. Knowing your honeysuckle is very important in the IT field; its a very, very merciless field otherwise, honestly.

Most distance learning centers I would not touch, but I did a year worth of research and their alumni go places. I am taking Bachelor of Commerce: Accounting Major. I did not participate but in the CMA Board Governance Completion this year Athabasca had 2 teams and they placed 1st and 2nd.

So I agree most distance learning courses are not worth much. I Am planning to work towards my CGA designation afterwards. They even list Athabasca on the CGA website as a school to get a degree so you can become one.

Make sure you get any certification and keep your GPA up and im sure you will do fine. Afterwards you can always take the odd refresher course for areas that might have changed drastically.

Latest posts

Back