Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it worth it to work towards a computer diploma/degree part-time cuz technology...
(09-19-2012, 02:12 AM)IgnoredOne Wrote: Yeah, its part of the life of a contractor. High pay, with extremely limited security. Its something I enjoy, though, especially since there's no real reason to ever trust a company not to expend you.

I do like the freedom that contractors have. plus, they tend to make a lot more contacts through out the industry as a hole. Which in this industry is a nice thing to have... Contacts across many companies is nice
"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future." - Chris McCandless
(09-19-2012, 02:17 AM)kbhill Wrote: I do like the freedom that contractors have. plus, they tend to make a lot more contacts through out the industry as a hole. Which in this industry is a nice thing to have... Contacts across many companies is nice

Its a very tough, very challenging path. Part of its appeal, but definitely not pleasant if you having downtime is important to a person, I think. Pretty much any time off needs to be considered as time to study for the next upcoming thing.
"The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity...a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe."

John Walter Wayland

“When you can't cheat the game, you'd best find a means to cheat the players.”

Scott Lynch, Red Seas Under Red Skies

it's never a waste of time to get a degree

there is no guaranteed return on investment

but even if it puts you above candidate b and c in that interview,

that's priceless

just don't go into debt or homeless to afford an education that you will be paying on for thirty years though

i'm pursuing a second degree now

in computers, well, network engineering to be precise

lofty goals of continuing to 4 year, 5 year, or beyond into it
I am in the same boat in a way. Year and a half ago I started a university degree part time. there was no way I was going to take out a loan but had just moved a year before that new job, not great pay but there had to be a way. I been promoted with a little more pay now and it is easier but working more full time hours now.

I found I work way better on my own then ever falling asleep listening to a teacher drone on for an hour and writing notes till my hand cramped. I take my course 1 at a time through Athabasca University in Alberta, Canada. Never been to the university itself, all distance learning. Take my exams at the test center in the local college. Understand its going to take a few more years then the 4 for that type of course but considering most of my courses

I been able to finish in 1-2 months(get a half month headstart due to how the course date starts after registering). Start another while waiting for booked exam date. Difference pricing depending on location you live per course.

Keep working at it and keep up on any changes in the industry by newsletter from a online source or association.
I thought distance learning earned degrees weren't taken seriously?
(09-21-2012, 10:04 PM)SophiaGrace Wrote: I thought distance learning earned degrees weren't taken seriously?

Not if you're planning on using the degree in and itself as a notion of worth, but it'll give you a pass in a lot of places if you also know how to do the work. Knowing your shit is very important in the IT field; its a very, very merciless field otherwise, honestly.
"The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity...a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe."

John Walter Wayland

“When you can't cheat the game, you'd best find a means to cheat the players.”

Scott Lynch, Red Seas Under Red Skies

Most distance learning centers I would not touch, but I did a year worth of research and their alumni go places. I am taking Bachelor of Commerce: Accounting Major. I did not participate but in the CMA Board Governance Completion this year Athabasca had 2 teams and they placed 1st and 2nd.

So I agree most distance learning courses are not worth much. I Am planning to work towards my CGA designation afterwards. They even list Athabasca on the CGA website as a school to get a degree so you can become one.

Make sure you get any certification and keep your GPA up and im sure you will do fine. Afterwards you can always take the odd refresher course for areas that might have changed drastically.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bender's Journal: Part 2 bender22 78 10,042 4 hours ago
Last Post: bender22
  Too much time on my hands: Famous Fictional Characters Romances Brought To Life! Know One 2 614 01-13-2019, 06:38 AM
Last Post: Know One
  Work discrimination - personal experiences? hewhowalksalone 15 1,638 12-17-2018, 10:09 PM
Last Post: bleed_the_freak
  Batchelor Degree? Serenia 12 1,920 06-25-2018, 01:26 AM
Last Post: nibbysaurus
  Lack of Work History Is stopping Me Gaining Employment SimonT 11 5,351 03-13-2018, 05:10 PM
Last Post: TheSkaFish
  Is it time? mauthecat 0 845 02-25-2018, 05:45 AM
Last Post: mauthecat
  How have you made time for yourself? deaddemosthenes 13 3,561 03-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Last Post: Mr Seal The Albatros
  Extremely rough time at work.... Niantiel 13 4,733 02-16-2017, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Augusto
  Has anyone ever had bullies at work? MyTherapyisALL 62 12,893 02-09-2017, 05:48 PM
Last Post: MissLonely79
  Finding the right work/life balance 9006 2 1,979 11-15-2016, 11:18 PM
Last Post: Locke