Bizzare Computer Problem

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gutted

Reaction score
So today, I am using my Windows 7 Home Premium Laptop as I do when I suddenly notice that some keys aren't working on my keyboard.

1 - Key at the top does not work but with Num Lock, works on the right pad.
Two - Key does not work at all. Not at the top. Not on the right.
3 - Doesn't work on top. But does on the right.
4 - Doesn't work on top. But does on the right.
5 - Works on top and right.
6 - Works on top and right.
7 - Doesn't work on top. But does on the right.
8 - Doesn't work on top. But does on the right.
9 - Doesn't work on top. But does on the right.
Zero - Key does not work at all. Not at the top. Not on the right.

EDIT: For the record, it's the number keys that don't work, hence the 1, Two, 3, 4 ect.

I have not spilled anything on the Keyboard. Even if I did, It wouldn't explain why some keys don't work on the Right Number Pad when others do.

I have already tried a reboot and a system restore. No luck. I am about to reboot again as the computer needs to do upates due to me system restoring. Any ideas what's up?

Someone has already suggested something else where. I will copy and paste that.

Senpo suggested: Maybe there's dust and because of it they stopped working?
Maybe try cleaning?

I replied with: That's a possibility. I don't want to start pulling keys off though, in case I cause damage and find out that they don't have a dust problem. Another reason is that I Googled the problem and a number of people have had issues with the exact same keys. Someone said they found a solution which was to press CTRL, FN and F1. But when I did that, I ended up putting the Laptop to sleep. I'm kinda hoping that I've just accidentally pressed a few wrong buttons and changed the settings. I'm also hoping that it isn't a progressive and eventually a computer life threatening problem. Only had the Laptop for a few months.

Well I was about to suggest trying a replacement keyboard until I read it was a laptop! You still could do but it might not be a serious problem, what laptop is it you have?

You could try plugging a USB keyboard to make sure it's not something interfering with the keyboard inputs, If it's a common problem with the actual keyboard then you may have to replace it. Hopefully it may be just a poor contact on one of the keys that's effecting others, and so may just need cleaning. Whatever laptop you have there's always someone who's had a similar problem and there will be advice on the best way to key the keys off without ruining the keyboard, most are just simply clipped in and only need a slight pull for them to pop out.

I have a Lenovo G575.

Random Review:
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-G575-AMD-Fusion-Notebook.51634.0.html

Image:
LenovoG575.jpg

I don't really want to replace the keyboard. I have the onscreen one to help with the buttons that don't work. Sadly, I don't have any external keyboards either. Although if I am desperate enough to use the numbers, I could get a cheap one. If it is poor key contact, it would make sense, although it has effected such odd areas. Top and far right. Other people who have had the same issue on the net could have also just had similar poor key contact. However, some resolutions worked for some whilst some didn't. So far, from what I've read, no resolution has worked permanently. That includes replacing the keyboard. People have managed to get rid of it but it comes back.

The only actual thing that I could have done to cause damage was wipe the keyboard. But I've been doing that every day since I got it without issue. So I doubt it's down to that. Some people say it could be to do with some loose cabling, which again would explain whilst others have had the exact same issue. Same loose cabling too. That wouldn't explain why people have had it on external new keyboards though. Chances are it's a bug of some sort. As long as it doesn't get worse, I should be alright. Would be nice if I could get it fixed though. Cheers for the help.

Oh yeah. I could prize off the keys with guitar pics. Plastic on plastic causes minimal damage. But I don't want to risk breaking anything, only to find that the issue wasn't hardware. That said, if it is then i could fix it. I'll have to have a think.

That's weird, never heard of that before. Something you could do is invest in a separate number pad. I used to have one of those for my laptop since I am so used to using the number pad. I hated hitting the numbers at the top or trying to use the number pad function. You can find some fairly cheep and they plug in with a USB.

That sounds like a great suggestion Sci-Fi. It would beat replacing the whole keyboard. Thanks~

I must admit that it's an unusual problem, I've never experienced this myself.

I think replacing the keyboard would be a last resort if you've exhausted all other options and it bugs you that much, but reading what you put about it happening with external keyboards as well tells me it's something to do with the IRQ, which is strange, I havn't dealt with IRQ's since Windows 98! I think the keyboard is #1, there may be a conflict of some sort, you can view this by going into Device Manager and clicking properties in Keyboards.

One other thought is that Windows could have automatically installed an update that effects the keyboard driver, you can tell this by seeing the keyboard driver date.

Once you get the first key off and see how it's connected, then you'll have an idea how to take all the others off. I suppose it's up to you about that, it depends on how much it bugs you :)

Thanks a lot for the info sir. Ironically I can't type your name lol. Nine-Zero-Zero-Six~

Standard PS/2 Keyboard
Driver Date: 21/06/2006

No updates there lol. I've tried searching for updates. Windows said that it is up to date. As for conflicts, it says no conflicts.

I've pulled off keys like this before. But I did so on an old Netbook. I never had to put the keys on as I was throwing it away lol. It doesn't bug me enough at the moment. Thanks anyway though. Was worth a shot :D

Well sorry I couldn't help more, it's quite a unique problem, although I've found some software you can use to test your keyboard, if your determined:

http://www.passmark.com/products/keytest.htm

It's only evaluation so you may want to uninstall it after use as it will expire.

Latest posts

Back