Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are people getting dumber?
I am increasingly finding myself thinking more and more people are idiots. From driving around town, selling a customer an item, and even just seeing the news, all I see is more times I ask myself this.

First large sign I saw was with a product that has not changed in 10 years, exact same product from the same company. Wireless headphones to be exact. Sold many over the years, with very very few returns. Then after last Christmas all three that were sold came back. Why? All the same problem, which I found weird since I never had trouble with it before. Tested all three and I had no trouble getting them to work. if interference on one of the 3 bands, switch to the next and tune in headset, repeat. Took me a minute and never really used them before, just sold them. So I resold one and again it comes back?? Is there really more interference then we have with multiple wireless systems at work, I highly doubt that.

So I ask how can a product that almost no one has had problems for years suddenly be returned every time and then tested again with no issue.

i believe part of it is the lack of effort of the person to read the manual, and understand the product. Everyone is too impatient and expect everything to be as easy as doing nothing. I still get many people struggling with "in" and "out" and color coded connection cables.

So are people getting increasingly more dumb or am I just becoming less tolerant?
I think people are getting used to technology being intuitive just working right out of the box without having to screw around with it much. You said yourself this is a 10 year old product that possibly requires someone to read a manual to get it working. Your average consumer is not looking for that. I guarantee there are better versions of the same headphone that just work the way people want.

Basically, technology is making people lazy and for good reason. Bad design should be punished.
(09-21-2012, 05:56 PM)kamya Wrote: I think people are getting used to technology being intuitive just working right out of the box without having to screw around with it much. You said yourself this is a 10 year old product that possibly requires someone to read a manual to get it working. Your average consumer is not looking for that. I guarantee there are better versions of the same headphone that just work the way people want.

Basically, technology is making people lazy and for good reason. Bad design should be punished.

I think so too. I mean you just need to looik on the internet for anything nd you will find it. No need to use your brain to think anymore... Our brains are slowly starting to decaayy
Shy
I exist as I am, that is enough- Walt Whitman
Yup.... durh

(09-21-2012, 07:22 PM)diamondintherough Wrote: I mean you just need to looik on the internet for anything nd you will find it. No need to use your brain to think anymore... Our brains are slowly starting to decaayy

I disagree 180% its turning us back into having a hunter-gatherer mindset. The problem is you need to know what to look for. The truth is out there. People need to wake up.
I read in an article not too long ago that, on average, IQ scores go up by about 10 points with ever new generation. And it's been doing this for a very long time. Now take it with a grain of salt, because no matter how high of an IQ you have, you can still make very dumb mistakes. Imo, IQ doesn't always measure true intelligence, but I thought it's still an interesting point to bring up.
"I wish [Deckard] Cain was here."
I'm kind of a college addict. Education is amazing.
You're just becoming more aware of how stupid people are.
"The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity...a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe."

John Walter Wayland

“When you can't cheat the game, you'd best find a means to cheat the players.”

Scott Lynch, Red Seas Under Red Skies

I think people are dividing. There are people who're becoming super smart and people who're not changing at all. They're not stupid but they're not keeping up with the times. It's basically natural selection doing it's thing.
I believe that people are getting smarter on average, but some groups are advancing much faster, so the disparity increases.
Yes.
WTF...an item that hasnt changed or been upgraded in 10 years?
Not even Rev. changes to improve the product or cut production cost?
There's a shelf life for all technology or product. My space...your space aint even around..No more.lol

Poeple want thier shit to go easy and smoothly...
You want your bussiness to run smoothly without any glitches or problems.
Imagine that? lmao

Hell...i dont even bother with CDs, dvd, or pluging my gadgets into a dock anymore.
A 32G SD card stores plenty of music. 32G SD cards are fairly cheap now.
Id be winning the races with the Jones next door if i had a LP with a 32G harddrive
10 years ago.lol

There's ear bugg types head phones with built in mp3 players and radio.
Ear Bugg type head phones are rediculous...dude.
You get narley bass response just like having a 2000watt stereo system.
it's cordless anywhere you wanna go..when you're on the go.
No plugging in. No messing with bands....
Maybe some people knows there's better products after they made the purchase or recieved it
as a gift. So they returned your shit....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quit beating people over the head for not being their best. Naizo 6 902 04-21-2019, 02:05 PM
Last Post: humourless
  Do people reject or judge you for opposing immigration? Germund 7 855 04-12-2019, 02:42 AM
Last Post: Enpatsu No Shakugan
  Strange habits of single people Austen 54 10,724 03-12-2019, 03:28 AM
Last Post: Danielle
  What are some of the mind games people play that you can't stand? MissLonely79 17 3,715 02-27-2019, 08:58 AM
  Why do people leave ALL? nietzsche's lover 59 16,598 02-27-2019, 04:49 AM
  What do you notice about popular people.. EmilyFoxSeaton 14 2,760 10-24-2018, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Jessicat
  I really don't understand people.... Cornishboy 7 1,238 07-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Last Post: kamya
  People open up to me but they don't know anything about me lovableplatypus 4 1,229 03-08-2018, 05:08 AM
Last Post: lovableplatypus
  People who blast loud music on the weekends whocares 33 15,407 12-05-2017, 02:02 AM
Last Post: Brennabean
  Shaking my head at some people MissLonely79 8 1,728 09-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Last Post: SophiaGrace