Does wanting to be with someone make you pathetic?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Because in that case, I definitely am.

I don't know for how long I have craved a proper happy relationship with somebody. But I don't have it. All my friends seem to have them, except me.

Makes me wonder if something is wrong with me.

Or if I am making a big deal out of nothing.

It does not make you pathetic, it makes you a human being. We all crave companionship.

Thanks.

I really want to believe that. But given how it's been forever since I was in a relationship that wasn't self destructive, it doesn't seem right.

It's when I get so down and out I feel pathetic about myself, of how sorry my life is. It's like there are two people in my head >.>

What Sci-Fi said.

If you didn't crave a relationship you really would be pathetic.

And don't worry about two people being in your head. It's probably just multiple personality disorder. :)

i wanted to be with my boyfriend more then he wanted to be with me. he described that as needy. i described it as love. he did use that word to me, pathetic, like i was a lost puppy dog with nowhere to go. i didnt feel pathetic before, but he made me feel that way. i must try to remain strong and keep believing that its not pathetic to want love and a relationship. i hope you do too.

You remind me of me, OP. Only I don't feel so bad not having a relationship. I just wonder what appeal I lack compared to others. In the end I put it down to a lack of luck or fate making plans which have yet to come to light. Don't worry about it though. Just try to keep your mind off that part of your life. From my experience, no good comes from thinking too long about why you're not in a relationship and stuff. You end up with more questions then answers.

Gutted said:
You remind me of me, OP. Only I don't feel so bad not having a relationship. I just wonder what appeal I lack compared to others. In the end I put it down to a lack of luck or fate making plans which have yet to come to light. Don't worry about it though. Just try to keep your mind off that part of your life. From my experience, no good comes from thinking too long about why you're not in a relationship and stuff. You end up with more questions then answers.

yes put 'finding a girlfriend' to the back of your mind and concentrate on enjoying yourself ! - take up new hobbies, do something you have always wanted to do etc

That's what I plan to do !

I really truly hope that is the case. I sometimes find myself sad because of it. Everything else, my family and my friends are fine. But on some level I still feel lonely. Again, I don't know if that is a problem with me, or if it's natural. But I don't see people around me perturbed by it. It is also what led me here.

Seems completely normal. :) Don't let yourself fall into just anyones arms..be picky. :]

its is really normal to want companionship especially if one has been lonely for a long time. But you could find things to keep yourself occupy. The last thing you need is to go into the wrong companionship so please do not rush.

Fighter4life said:
If wanting to be with someone makes someone pathetic then human race is pathetic.

The human race IS pathetic.

As for wanting some one else... it makes you weak. It's also an unattractive attribute. Would you rather be with some one that would "die without you" and you have to carry the stress of what would happen if you left?
Or would like to be with some one with goals, hobbies, and a life that they lead on their own accord. Now with those traits, they are a stronger more interesting person and if they want you to be part of their life then so much the better.

Needing another person or wanting them too much is almost a sure fire way to end a relationship for some reason. Maybe... after a 3-5 years of being with them, "needing" them is ok...but even then remember when / if they leave, lie, or cheat you're going to be shattered because you were convinced they needed you and you allowed yourself to want it more than anything else.

People can live life without a partner, a campaionship and many other things....

It just dosnt feel right for me. Im okay and accpet why I feel like this.
The key of good self esteem is accepting myself....

I love hug N kisses, cuddling and sex. I like to SHARE my hopes, dreams, triumps,
happiness, laughter, joy, set backs, tear...ect

I do get that you shoud love yourself first and foremost.
It never said love me and only me.....

err...God wants me to love god more than anything else.
Some people say I should believing in Jesus and only Jesus and love Jesus more than anyrhing else.
AA,NA,...wants me to put my reocovery and want my recovery more than anything else.
My fiance wants me to love her more than anything else.
My children wants me to love them more than anything else....
My boss wants me to love my job more than everything else...
Holy wow...man...Lot's of fucken cheifs wanting to streer my heart and head.

I underastand that a person should be able to stand on his/her own two feet.
Carry your own wieght....blah..blah...blah.
But it's like...yee pee kia ahhhhh. Im on my own two feet...now fucken what?
So...lets paint a picture and write a song for me....
After a while it's kind of like talking to myself.
Talking to myself all the time and listen to all the BS in my head is like the devil's workshop....
It's a major liablity for me...I know myself best too.

The lonely feelings tells me to go look for a compansion. it really not that complicated.

It get that..man.
I like to have a brand new z28 with all the whistal and bells. Bumper to bumper warantee blah..blah..blah.
I have a used TransAm. She needs TLC but she still hauls ass. She's right for me. Thats all that matters.

LackingInspiration said:
Because in that case, I definitely am.

I don't know for how long I have craved a proper happy relationship with somebody. But I don't have it.

No, you're not. There is nothing wrong with the desire to share the ride with someone nor is there anything wrong with wanting to go it alone. You are the only one that can say what is right for you.

Latest posts

Back