Are there any nice girls out there? Is romance dead?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Compton

Reaction score
I have had some really nice girlfriends throughout my twenties but as I've I hit 30 I've had nothing but cold, selfish ones. My last girlfriend rarely showed any emotional, affection and it drove me crazy because I wasn't used to part-time relationship or lack of closeness and of course we broke up because we argued over it. Is this normal? Am I too needy? I really don't think I am or really expect that much. Are there any nice, pretty girls out there who live by their heart still, does romance fade as you get older but I still feel the same? Seriously what is going on? lol

I think those who make it to thirty single can easily wind up jaded. Can't say I blame them, even though I'm still in my twenties.

I love that you started out with "Are there any nice girls out there?" and then changed it to, "Are there any nice, pretty girls out there"? Just as there are nice guys out there, of course there are nice girls out there. They do not all fit the stereotypical standards for beauty.

The question is- why have you been attracted to the "cold, selfish ones"? If they were cold and selfish, why did it take a committed relationship for you to realize they had those qualities? What are you doing to attract that sort of woman, and what are you doing that repels the women you want?

if you are the kind of guy who wants a woman to "love you for you" then change your way of thinking...

around the age of thirty, women become aware of their biological clock and their natural drive changes from finding "ideal companionship" to finding an "ideal mate".

the problem with this, is that she will be less inclined to "love you for you" or even to "like you for you".

she will actually tend to (subconsciously and unbeknownst to her) begin assessing men on their quality as a mate.

this is where social value comes in.

let's face it - women have a lot to risk. they certaintly have a lot more to risk than a man. biologically speaking, a man is tied to nothing. he does not need to worry about getting pregnant, he doesn't have to stay around and get attached to an infant, and so he gets to run off, so to speak. especially historically speaking before DNA and Maury Povich.

for women, it's a totally different ballgame. you are not just a boyfriend. you are not just a companion.

you are a "potential" father. you are a "potential" provider. you are a "potential" protector. and as such, she WILL assess your ranking in these categories. whether she realizes it or not.

if you fall short in one or more of these categories, whether or not you make her heart tingle, as her biological clock ramps up - she is less likely to be with you in an intimate way.

i'm not saying that every woman is seeking to get married, or seeking to have kids, or seeking a provider. what i am saying instead, is that these innate and unnoticed tendencies, DO affect her choice of boyfriend (aka: potential father, potential provider, potential protector)

for those of us guys who are just seeking "someone to love us for us" this can really leave us out in the cold because that is likely not what she is seeking. not about right or wrong. just honest.

you want a good girlfriend

she wants a father, provider, protector (and if he is also a good boyfriend, that is a plus...but only a factor)

that being said, THE DISCLAIMER: not all women act this way, not all women think this way, not all women are slaves to their innate tendencies or evolutionary-controlled methods.

the point of this: NOT TO BASH WOMEN. the point of this post is to help you understand the TYPE of woman that you need to seek. one that understands her biological urges and makes an informed and conscientious decision to be with YOU and not use you to fulfill her biological drive and/or dispose of you when you don't.

light the flames. let's get this show on the road.

PS - just to be equal opportunity about this: most men are looking to bang the hottest chick and as many of them as possible. at least there is an innate and unconscious tendency to do it. whether or not you do, is your choice and no one else's.

Well, there are also men who somehow want "you" to take care of them.

As for the original question. I'm nearing 30 and in a way I have given up on love. But in another way I'm still a hopeless romantic. And who knows maybe fairytales do exist.

So no...romance is not dead.

(hello) if and when i get my grad degree I might be able to take care of a partner.

probably not though. Medical bills. ick.

That brings me back to my question of needing to look for internship opportunities.

Must give guy my resume on thursday.

(sorry talking to myself now...)

nerdygirl said:
I love that you started out with "Are there any nice girls out there?" and then changed it to, "Are there any nice, pretty girls out there"?

I get a kick out of that myself. People complain about how absolutely no one shows any interest in them whatsoever, but when someone does, if they aren't the ideal - whether it's theirs or society's - of beauty, then they pass it off as someone being desperate.

No, they weren't desperate as you like to assume because they aren't attractive to you right away. They were showing some interest in you but because you've been so blinded by everything you want to hear and see from someone, you dismiss them without even really knowing them. And since you're so all-knowing (if you really were, you wouldn't even be in this situation to begin with) you KNOW they couldn't possibly be what you need in life.

And then their cycle begins again.

:club:

Maybe we have to started with our expectation of the other half.
Are we still having the same kind of expectation for the ideal other half in our 20s?

SophiaGrace said:
(hello) if and when i get my grad degree I might be able to take care of a partner.

That brings me back to my question of needing to look for internship opportunities.

Pick me, pick me.....

You don't have multiple personalities do you Soph?

Lonely in BC said:
SophiaGrace said:

Pick me, pick me.....

....why do you ask? :p

What if you like all of my personalities? o_o

SophiaGrace said:
Lonely in BC said:
SophiaGrace said:

Pick me, pick me.....

....why do you ask? :p

What if you like all of my personalities? o_o

As long as they're all likeable..... :D

In short, of course there are :D You just have to know where to find em'

As faith can be lost, it can be gained again~

Latest posts

Back