Interesting study on attractiveness vs personality as first impression

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First impressions usually do mean a lot. But it's the getting to know someone part that matters a lot more. And this study focuses on undergraduate students over the age of 18. I think it's safe to say that for most people their preferences change as they get older. I don't think you should put too much stock into this, but rather listen to the many women and men who have said that personality and the presentation of your personality is key. :p

with the popularity of online dating going through the roof in recent years.. i bet peoples conceptions about this are due to.change.

Barbaloot said:
First impressions usually do mean a lot. But it's the getting to know someone part that matters a lot more. And this study focuses on undergraduate students over the age of 18. I think it's safe to say that for most people their preferences change as they get older. I don't think you should put too much stock into this, but rather listen to the many women and men who have said that personality and the presentation of your personality is key. :p

^

Why would anyone have to support their opinion? You support facts, not opinions. Just because you believe it to be so, doesn't mean it's true for everyone.

And I would have to agree, Hank, that with this whole online thing, people are probably more likely to like someone because of the personality they show, rather than their looks. That being said, of course it really depends on if a person shows who they really are online, both personality wise and their looks. Being online makes it much easier for someone to act differently and to alter their looks completely.

LonelyInAtl said:
I still say looks get you in the door so they can learn your personality. :)

well I agree with you.

I saw this speed dating experiment on tv once. First time all the men and women 'met' they weren't allowed to talk. They just looked at each other and then gave a mark out of 100. Second time around, they were allowed to talk and they gave a second mark.

At the end it was found that the marks were roughly the same.

What does this prove ?

Appearances are the most important thing !

putter65 said:
LonelyInAtl said:

well I agree with you.

I saw this speed dating experiment on tv once. First time all the men and women 'met' they weren't allowed to talk. They just looked at each other and then gave a mark out of 100. Second time around, they were allowed to talk and they gave a second mark.

What does this prove ?

+1

Physical appearance is probably the most important EARLY determinant of both romantic and non romantic attraction. However...it wears off pretty quick if the personality (and a variety of other variables) don't work out. At least this is what most of these sorts of studies find.

Notice that the abstract of the study uses the word "preference." All other things being equal a highly attractive partner would be the preference for almost all of us. We *prefer* to associate with attractive people. The catch is that "all other things" are almost never equal, so other factors come into play as well. These include, but are not limited to, similarity (on attitudes, interests, and intelligence), personality, how comfortable we are around the other person, and maybe even how well the two people "match up" in terms of attractiveness.

It's probably right to say that attractiveness will get your foot in the door but it might be a mistake to assume that it's the most important determinant in LTR's.

LonelyInAtl said:
putter65 said:
LonelyInAtl said:

well I agree with you.

What does this prove ?

+1

Two people supporting each other, how nice. Based off of everything you two post, I can see why. Read back on all the negative, terrible behavior that both of you exude, and you'll see why too. Believe me, looks have nothing to do with it.

putter65 said:
LonelyInAtl said:

well I agree with you.

What does this prove ?

Have you guys considered dating blind girls?

I've seen both of you saying how women aren't interested in you because you're apparently too ugly to date (my interpretation of what you both say) so maybe take the visual aspect out of it.

the problem is the use of the term "looks" when it is used synonymously with "attractiveness".

have a chubby guy walk into a bar, sit down in a corner, unkempt, nervous, seemingly timid, who fails to initialize a conversation with anyone.

have another chubby guy walk into a bar, dressed to impress, groomed well, wearing a smile and A PERSONALITY, displaying an air of confidence, approaching women and striking up conversations with them.

take those same women out in the parking lot and poll them about which guy was more "attractive".

your hypothesis is based on INEXPERIENCE and what you are READING on the Internet.

what would be more effective is for some chubby players to post about how many women they've been with. oh wait, they won't be plying for sympathy on a loneliness forum. they will be out somewhere talking to REAL WOMEN.

truth.

ps - if the point is that you believe all women are shallow, you really should come out and say it instead of implying it.

VanillaCreme said:
LonelyInAtl said:
putter65 said:
LonelyInAtl said:

well I agree with you.

What does this prove ?

+1

Two people supporting each other, how nice. Based off of everything you two post, I can see why. Read back on all the negative, terrible behavior that both of you exude, and you'll see why too. Believe me, looks have nothing to do with it.

so you can say what you think ?
And we can't ?
That's my opinion and I will state it.
Interesting you start insulting people when they disagree with you.
When we prove that you are wrong, you can't accept it or just leave it, you drag up stuff from the past. Very petty.

theraab said:
putter65 said:
LonelyInAtl said:

well I agree with you.

What does this prove ?

Have you guys considered dating blind girls?

I've seen both of you saying how women aren't interested in you because you're apparently too ugly to date (my interpretation of what you both say) so maybe take the visual aspect out of it.

she would have to be deaf as well because my speaking voice is terrible !

Trent said:
the problem is the use of the term "looks" when it is used synonymously with "attractiveness".

have a chubby guy walk into a bar, sit down in a corner, unkempt, nervous, seemingly timid, who fails to initialize a conversation with anyone.

have another chubby guy walk into a bar, dressed to impress, groomed well, wearing a smile and A PERSONALITY, displaying an air of confidence, approaching women and striking up conversations with them.

take those same women out in the parking lot and poll them about which guy was more "attractive".

your hypothesis is based on INEXPERIENCE and what you are READING on the Internet.

what would be more effective is for some chubby players to post about how many women they've been with. oh wait, they won't be plying for sympathy on a loneliness forum. they will be out somewhere talking to REAL WOMEN.

truth.

ps - if the point is that you believe all women are shallow, you really should come out and say it instead of implying it.

I don't think women in the real world are shallow at all, far from it. It's just dating sites I don't like.

I think you have to 'make the most of what you have' - if you are an ugly bugger, wear nice clothes, get fit and smile and that will at least improve your chances a little

Rocky66 said:
Physical appearance is probably the most important EARLY determinant of both romantic and non romantic attraction. However...it wears off pretty quick if the personality (and a variety of other variables) don't work out. At least this is what most of these sorts of studies find.

Notice that the abstract of the study uses the word "preference." All other things being equal a highly attractive partner would be the preference for almost all of us. We *prefer* to associate with attractive people. The catch is that "all other things" are almost never equal, so other factors come into play as well. These include, but are not limited to, similarity (on attitudes, interests, and intelligence), personality, how comfortable we are around the other person, and maybe even how well the two people "match up" in terms of attractiveness.

It's probably right to say that attractiveness will get your foot in the door but it might be a mistake to assume that it's the most important determinant in LTR's.

i think we have been saying that on this other thread.

In my personal experince.....

Physical apperance as in how I carry myself, the mood Im in, my attitude, how well groom i am, how i feel about myself.

I dont fit into the profile of Mr. GQ. I dont wear expensive clothing. Hell, my sneakers are Wal-mart sneakers.
Somtimes there's holes in my jeans...but they're clean. I dont even own a 3 piece suit or sport jacket.
I dont have any tatoos or body peircing.
Im 46. I have wrinkles and grays. My hair is wavy or semi messy...but Im clean and smell good.
I dont have hair sticking out of my nostials or ears. ...even if I decide to look semi scruffy for a day or two.
My hands and nails are clean. I carry breath mints..
I am in good physical shape....as in fit and firm. Not like a super wieght lifter.

I attract plenty of women. Plenty of woman make themselves avaliable to me or approach me.
Sometimes younger women half my age. I gotten complimented lots too.

Obviously it takes time to get to know a person.
As far as personalities or behaviors. There's that lower your expectations to keep sane... becuase people dont always act appropriately or as you think they should.

People change and evolve on the inside and outside.

So to me....attitude is one of the factors.
Plus the type of woman i wanna to attract or is attracted to.

Romance dosnt wear off...if you keep the flame buring. The fire dosnt always burn at a steady pace...but you keep the flame alive.
Plus there's passionate love making and totally ******* her brains out...Getting her sexually totally off.

Lonesome Crow said:
I am in good physical shape....as in fit and firm. Not like a super wieght lifter.

This is the key. Women would rather date a fit guy with a less-attractive face than an overweight guy with a really cute face, all other things being equal.

LonelyInAtl said:
This is the key. Women would rather date a fit guy with a less-attractive face than an overweight guy with a really cute face, all other things being equal.

which women?

all women?

That's ridiculous.....dude.
If you're fat or overwieght...your face is
gonna be saturated with fat too.lol

I was 25lb over weight.
I got off of my lazy ass and exercised.
Exercise also lowers depression.
If I'm less depressed...I'm more
Incline to think and feel positive.
You probably find plenty of
Data to airport this idea too.lol

Btw...I also shave my body.
I'm not hairy to begin with.
My woman likes me to shaven.

I also dress the way I do because
The women I went out with knows
What I look good in. They help me.
Kinda like a make over.
Yes....I know I have a sexy body.
And I also know I have personalities. Too.

Come on now ....
People that abuse drugs and alcohol
Suffers consequences..

Well..people that abuse food or
Have food addictions have consequences too.

It like a hype complaining why people
Ain't attracted to him or her.

I understand about loving someone
And accepting that person as who they a
Are.

I have issues.
My fiance has issues.
We don't deny it. We address
them and work on them....cuase
there's negative consequences to our issues.

LonelyInAtl said:
Lonesome Crow said:

I've never wanted a "fit" dude, and to be completely honest a lot of women don't even look at that. And attractiveness of the face really depends on the person seeing it. I think I'll take the overweight dude with a cute face though... You keep on believing things that just aren't true.

The first thing I look at is a girls face. I can fix the rest but I need them to be pretty.

Teeth, nose, mouth, small ears.

I would look for a girl equal to my physical apperance. A nice body helps.. Formal education, not a whore, smart, funny, athletic. If I get through that phase I go to politics, I'm conservative but pro choice, all other views conservative. If I get past that and she had no children I'd be married.

I am not married

Latest posts

Back