anyone here like J-Rock?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

tomuchnothing

Hey,

I'm a huge fan of j-rock even though I'm not Japanese and can't speak the language. I just look up translations of the lyrics LOL but yea I love it. The stuff they sing about (once I've translated it ofcourse LOL) is just so....stirring? I dont know if that the right word but yea. I also find the actual music as a whole very enjoyable.

I also love the fashion and how the visual kei artists dress.

A few of the bands I'm really into at the moment are : the gazette, chariots, dir en grey, sadie, girugamesh.... The list goes on but yea thats enough for now LOL

So yea I was just wondering if anybody else is a fan of this stuff? If so what bands you like?

I really like Dir en Grey, though I haven't listened to them in a while. I remember listening to the song Vanilla by Gackt. When I looked up the lyrics I was really surprised.

Now I don't know if they are consider Jrock or Jpop, I listen to Asian Kung-fu Generation, Sambomaster,High and Mighty Colors and Beat Crusaders. Ever since playing Kingdom Hearts, Utada Hikaru.

Moi dix Mois is awesome. I love Mana's musical style. Malice Mizer is likewise pretty good, though I prefer Moi dix Mois.

If you consider them J-rock, Puffy have had a consistently great musical output, and they're probably my favorite Japanese musical act. Most of my favorite JPop/JRock songs come from them.

Shiina Ringo goes far beyond the rock genre, but she's absolutely awesome. Probably the Japanese musical artist whom I most admire.

Others I mildly like (and would probably like more if I listened to them more) include L'arc~en~Ciel, Glay, Janne da Arc (and Acid Black Cherry, though I haven't been able to find their music anywhere), X-Japan, and Dir en Grey. I'm just starting to get into Mr.Children. They've got some pretty great songs. :)

DigitxGeno: Yea im into a bit of High and Might color aswell, they pretty good. Utada Hikaru id say is more j-popish but i do love her voice, especially her song sanctuary, its amazing.

Matt: I havnt actually hear any of Shiina Ringo, i think i might have to look her stuff up though :) X-Japan and L'arc~en~Ciel are also great bands

Its good to know there some people out there who like the same stuff as me :D

Here's an awesome music video of hers:

And here's a wicked live performance:

As for Utada Hikaru, I can't stand her voice. It sounds sooo whiny, and it just annoys me. ><

As far as JPop is concerned, I prefer Ayumi Hamasaki (true, she's got a squeaky voice, but it doesn't bother me, and I generally love the actual music she sings to) and the edgier "hip-pop" material of Namie Amuro.

Matt said:
Here's an awesome music video of hers:

And here's a wicked live performance:

As for Utada Hikaru, I can't stand her voice. It sounds sooo whiny, and it just annoys me. ><

As far as JPop is concerned, I prefer Ayumi Hamasaki (true, she's got a squeaky voice, but it doesn't bother me, and I generally love the actual music she sings to) and the edgier "hip-pop" material of Namie Amuro.

Wow she is amazing, thanks for introducing me to her :)

I love Mr.Children's Kimi ga Ita Natsu. It's such a joy to listen to. :)

DigitxGeno said:
Have you watched Antique cake store?
It's pretty old so I wouldn't be surprise if you haven't seen it.

No I havnt actually, maybe I should though if you recommend it?

I'm not sure what your taste are, and the translation of the subs are horrible.
If you want a recommendation for a J-Drama, I say Nodame Cantible.
The characters are unique and it has good orchestra music.

DigitxGeno said:
I'm not sure what your taste are, and the translation of the subs are horrible.
If you want a recommendation for a J-Drama, I say Nodame Cantible.
The characters are unique and it has good orchestra music.

OK cool, thank you :)

I don't know that i have heard much of anything for rock except for a few of the older groups. I seem to have taken a liking to a few noise rock groups from there. Melt-Banana, Boredoms and a few groups like that. Even a little bit of straight noise like Masami Akita, but for me that grows old quickly.

Les Rallizes Denudes

"are an influential Japanese band. They were formed in 1967, and the band was known for their ties to avant-garde theater groups and leftist political groups.

The band's style is typified by simple, repeated bass lines and shrieking guitar feedback.

In 1970, the original bass player Moriaki Wakabayashi was involved in the hijacking of Japan Airlines Flight 351 orchestrated by the Japanese Red Army. Singer Takashi Mizutani was allegedly offered a role in the hijacking but turned it down."

Based on the one album that have, at least at the time they were sort of a cross between the Tokyo guitar freakout and slow heavy 60ish hard rock.

Can someone tell me that the label "group sound" means when referring to a genre of Japanese rock music? I keep running across the label but have never seen it defined.

Latest posts

Back