Maintaining healthy relationships

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isthatso

Trannie
Reaction score
I'm talking about friends, families, co workers. Do you work hard on maintaining good relations with people?
This is a weakness of mine. I tend to slacken off. If I don't have a real commonality, I tend to ignore. Snobbish even. "why waste my time?" I say to myself. Only call my brothers if I really need to. I live in a town far from all family. Perhaps I don't work hard enough at work to get along with everyone. I've been marked down already for not being a team player. I don't find people as interesting as I used to. Feel I can sum up different types pretty quickly. Then be able to predict what they are going to say before they say it. Honestly rather read a book than talk to some people. How shameful!

If you can sum up different types of people pretty quickly and be able to predict what they are going to say before they say it, then sir (ma'am?), I believe that you've got some pretty advanced social skills.... ;)

i work hard. go out of my way all the time. perform grand guestures and try with all my heart. unconditional dedication.
like a fool...:/

Hank2 said:
i work hard. go out of my way all the time. perform grand guestures and try with all my heart. unconditional dedication.
like a fool...:/

Nope, Hank. Like a true friend. :)

I personally don't think I put that much effort to maintain healthy relationships. I just mostly let nature run its course. And I follow it. My default personality is to be kind to one another. So far that works okay. Plus I have been more anti-social in the past several years so the status of my other relationships haven't really bothered me much.

Do you know why you can tell about a person's character so easily, OP? Because people tend to be all the same :p Seriously, I think that very few people stand out and develop their own character anymore, at least where I live, everybody want to "blend in", or have everything most of their neighbors have, which results in people copying one another in every aspect, from fashion and interests to character. If you want my view on it, try to approach the one guy/girl you will judge incorrectly. This way you may find that needle hidden in the hay, if you know what i mean ;)

When something is wrong I have avoided talking about the issues or not kept up as much as I should have in the past..I guess with family only. I didn't want them to know what was going on cause I didn't want them to worry. As for friends I always like to check up on them and just enjoy some good convos... well over the cam or just typing online as my friends are only online.

sometimes I feel I am the only one caring and I get this bitter feeling for a moment, other times I think that I haven't got anything to lose by trying to be a bit more giving, and if I create affection in my heart at least I will live among affection (my own, yeah, well, better than bitterness). For me it comes very natural to share things, a picture on the internet, I like exchanging presents, probably some people find that creepy. And I like to know what's happening in people's lives, in general.

I've stopped trying to maintain relationships.

Strange thing is, I tell people that I am not a good friend. Truth is, yoou can't be - not when you are a self-indulgent addict. I'm willing to listen, but I don't have the capacity to be much more than an ear anymore. Yet, they still take it personally if I am unavailable/unattached; I wind up unintentionally hurting the person's feelings. Result? I withdraw, as to avoid causing more damage.

rdor said:
May I sum you up as a bit arrogant and self-absorbed?

Of course you can.
I'd say that is an accurate assessment of where I'm at right now.
But there is hope for me I think because
I may lose my job so that will certainly bring me down to earth.

Latest posts

Back