Where my workaholics at??

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grainofrice24

Reaction score
The 70 hour work weeks when u get paid for 37.5.
The constant stress...constant worrying
Not enough sleep...always tired
Coffee by the gallon
The same desk, the same screen, the same old game
Reports strewn all over the desk
No end in sight...
Stuck in a cubicle...no window...you stand up to go to the washroom....and it's dark outside
You go home to at 9...knowing ur going to VPN in
Glass of whiskey next to the mouse
Janitor and security know you by name
Weekend? What weekend...
Cellphone...a leash from which to grab you

Why do we do it??? Because it's better than the rest of our lives.

I work 35 hours a week and go to school full time

I hate my life right now.

grainofrice24 said:

Sad but so true! Better to stay behind late hours at the office than go back to the big empty house. I’ve forgotten how many firework shows, snowfalls, sunsets or general celebrations I’ve watched from my office window during the late hours, turning back to a pitch dark floor with just light of my monitor and hum of the vending machine for company. At least this way I’m earning something, at home I’d just be fretting.

Lost Drifter said:
grainofrice24 said:

Sad but so true! Better to stay behind late hours at the office than go back to the big empty house. I’ve forgotten how many firework shows, snowfalls, sunsets or general celebrations I’ve watched from my office window during the late hours, turning back to a pitch dark floor with just light of my monitor and hum of the vending machine for company. At least this way I’m earning something, at home I’d just be fretting.

Cheers to that boss!

grainofrice24 said:
TropicalStarfish said:
Work sucks. Didn't you get the memo?

Money doesn't tho

It all depends on the value of that money? Is the value, what it's used for, benefit your personal life or is it simply for the sake of making money or is your personality intertwined with your job persona?

As someone who has been in the workforce for quite some time, I've never been the type of person to want a 'career' over a 'job' because I've seen far too many people lose what made them happy before the job and just become obsessive about a 'professional career' and money. Of course what makes one happy is all a matter of personal opinion so who am I to say.

All I know in all likelihood is that your current job was unlikely your first and will unlikely be your last.

Up on the mountain driving the big truck and enjoying the scenery. Lots of hours, lots of shifts, money in the bank and finally getting a chance to spoil myself a bit. Not so bad

grainofrice24 said:
TropicalStarfish said:

Money doesn't tho

No point having money if there is no time to enjoy it.

My last job consisted of up to 90 hours a week,

Money worries- none

life - just a working existence

sympathetic to how it makes you feel, changing it would make you feel better.

The money makes it all better, doesn't it? I'm considering going on an overseas contract position for the same reason - ultimately, it makes it all worth it. For all that can be complained about - the sense of security and sanity is hard to dismiss, or what resources make possible.

You're making overtime? I would be thrilled in your case, really.

I think if you have a direct goal in mind you can cope with the sacrifices,
for example: enhance your career, discover a new country or to save for something

but if its just the normal regime of employment it can get you down in the end.

monkeysocks said:
for example: enhance your career, discover a new country or to save for something

Get a chest of gold

TropicalStarfish said:

I'd be a workaholic for a job that has me doing something challenging yet meaningful. I have pretty good endurance and can completely lose myself in something.

However, my brain is broken. I can spend hours a day doing something unstructured, but throw in structured work on the same subject and it's a chore that saps my inspiration and energy.

IgnoredOne said:
monkeysocks said:

Get a chest of gold

oooh I didn't think of that one :p

Tealeaf said:
TropicalStarfish said:

I'd be a workaholic for a job that has me doing something challenging yet meaningful. I have pretty good endurance and can completely lose myself in something.

However, my brain is broken. I can spend hours a day doing something unstructured, but throw in structured work on the same subject and it's a chore that saps my inspiration and energy.

I think everything is structure, to be honest. It just takes the right planning to allow us to create the right habit to allow us to focus on what's useful.

IgnoredOne said:
I think everything is structure, to be honest. It just takes the right planning to allow us to create the right habit to allow us to focus on what's useful.

Maybe.

As an example, I'll throw out fixing computer problems when working on some odd problem someone mentioned on a forum and when working on something for class.

The only structure in the first instance was the problem. The solution was unknown and the paths there were many, so I could take whatever route suited me best and sponge up knowledge and other useful paths to trawl later as I did. The end result of putting something back into place was satisfying. I once spent what I think was five or six hours immersed in fixing LoL without any obligation to fix it. If I hit a wall I could just go in a different direction and never lose much in the way of momentum.

What I need to make work for class seems to have few routes to the solution, and very few of them are stimulating or follow a clear line of reasoning. I rarely get to act on intuition or inspiration and the end result of having hopped through a hoop is rarely satisfying. Even with an obligation to do this work, 2-3 hours is a struggle.

Have you ever played one of those old games where after failing to think your way through a puzzle you just "pixel hunt," i.e. click on everything on the screen in the hope that one of them is the answer? That's kind of what it's like for me after I find a bunch of restrictions in place.

grainofrice24 said:

I don't follow. You do it in order to keep your job or because there's nothing else going on in your life?

rdor said:
grainofrice24 said:

I don't follow. You do it in order to keep your job or because there's nothing else going on in your life?

Both. Sometimes the job demands it. That and at least im being productive and getting stuff done. That way there's something I can be proud of. "grainofrice gets honeysuckle done". Compared to at home where grainofrice is in a big room with nobody to talk to wishing he was dead.

It's not because I love my job...believe me!!

Latest posts

Back