Someone Else's B.O. Is It An Awkward Situation For You?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Hello Esteemed Members.:D

I know that this is the most polished thread topic ever, but here it goes. I have a real problem with those have B.O. I don't think less of them. It just puts me in an awkward position when the smell like a bag of rotten haggis.

I just don't know how to deal with a situation like that. On one hand, I'm aware that some suffer with overactive sweat glands and can't help it, but it also comes from lack of hygiene. My problem is, I don't want to embarrass them buy saying something like: "Take a bath Chief" or something like that, so I just keep my comments to myself.

Am I wrong to feel this way?

Godspeed.
LK

LoneKiller said:

It just puts me in an awkward position when the smell like a bag of rotten haggis.

Godspeed.
LK

LMAO :D you are so funny you can probably hear me laughing from the uk.

But to be serious I was once voted the most diplomatic person in the office to have to tell another member of staff that their BO problem was completely intolerable.

It was the most upsetting experience for both of us. I only agreed because I didn't want someone to upset her as some of them where so tactless - but I wouldn't ever want to do so again.

It's pretty difficult to address. It could really hurt someone's feelings, even if you're extremely diplomatic about it, but then some people will never know unless they're told.
I usually say nothing though.

monkeysocks said:
LoneKiller said:

It just puts me in an awkward position when the smell like a bag of rotten haggis.

Godspeed.
LK

LMAO :D you are so funny you can probably hear me laughing from the uk.

But to be serious I was once voted the most diplomatic person in the office to have to tell another member of staff that their BO problem was completely intolerable.

It was the most upsetting experience for both of us. I only agreed because I didn't want someone to upset her as some of them where so tactless - but I wouldn't ever want to do so again.
Oh man. That truly would have been awkward!

It was awful, where do you start. I sought of eased it into the conversation by asking how she was and was concerned about her because she obviously had a medical problem. But as nice as I tried to be - we still both ended up in tears.

But they sort of said if I didn't do it - they would - that would be worse for her.

Hated it - wish they had just opened the windows and brought some air freshener.

Sometimes you just hafta be honest and let people know. Believe it or not, they may not KNOW that they smell -- it's possible to get used to your own smell and not even realize that you're spreading a noxious gas everywhere you go.

Take them aside, tell them politely that they might consider wearing deodorant or cologne, etc.

Sure, they'll be embarrassed -- there's no way to get around that.

But in the long run, they'll be better off for someone having alerted them to the fact that they smell.

I have never been able to summon the courage to tell someone. It is such a hard thing to do, knowing it will embarrass the person.
What I can't understand is with it being such a STRONG smell, how can someone not possibly smell it themsleves!?:rolleyes2:

Badjedidude said:
Sometimes you just hafta be honest and let people know. Believe it or not, they may not KNOW that they smell -- it's possible to get used to your own smell and not even realize that you're spreading a noxious gas everywhere you go.

Take them aside, tell them politely that they might consider wearing deodorant or cologne, etc.

Sure, they'll be embarrassed -- there's no way to get around that.

But in the long run, they'll be better off for someone having alerted them to the fact that they smell.
Kind of like someone who smokes cigarettes or is into the cheeba. They don't tend to notice, where others who don't smoke do. Is that what you mean?

LoneKiller said:
Kind of like someone who smokes cigarettes or is into the cheeba. They don't tend to notice, where others who don't smoke do. Is that what you mean?

Pretty much.

StrawberrySmoothie said:
I have never been able to summon the courage to tell someone. It is such a hard thing to do, knowing it will embarrass the person.
What I can't understand is with it being such a STRONG smell, how can someone not possibly smell it themsleves!?:rolleyes2:

Perhaps they just become immune to the smell, like smoking cigarettes, smokers can't smell it on themselves as quickly as those who don't smoke.

In the case I mentioned, the girl said she didn't realise about the odour, but did know she had a sweat problem.

monkeysocks said:
StrawberrySmoothie said:

Perhaps they just become immune to the smell, like smoking cigarettes, smokers can't smell it on themselves as quickly as those who don't smoke.

In the case I mentioned, the girl said she didn't realise about the odour, but did know she had a sweat problem.

Yes, that does make sense. I never thought of it in terms of the way smokers are used to that smoke smell on someone.

I just talked to a guy that smells like honeysuckle.. for a few hours.

Some people are unnaturally unfortunate with BO, others are addicted, and yet others have slipped too far down the gutter to care. I don't feel like making disgusted pouty faces or whatever around this kind of people. It's not smells or looks that can disgust me in a person.

I used to work at a place where there was one guy who smelled like he slept in his dog's dog house. Some days it was so bad it would bring tears to your eyes. One of the girls in the office actually took out air freshener once and sprayed it behind him. He didn't like that too much, didn't work either. I think he liked the filth.

I've had some stinky customers, now to a few of their defence many are contractors who work outside, so they will stink on occasion. It's those who really should have no reason to, I usually try to get them out as quickly as possible.

Latest posts

Back