Is Christmas The Loneliest Time Of Year?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solitary man

Reaction score
As most people know, it is possible to be alone and not feel lonely. But for chronic loners like myself, who spend literally 24/7 alone, there comes a time when your solitude can creep in on you and threaten to engulf.

Christmas is reputed as being a lonely time of year, and if you are like me, you shall have spent many Christmases alone. Shall you be spending this Christmas alone, and if so, do you think you shall feel lonely?

In other words, is Christmas the loneliest time of the year for you?

Solitary man said:
As most people know, it is possible to be alone and not feel lonely. But for chronic loners like myself, who spend literally 24/7 alone, there comes a time when your solitude can creep in on you and threaten to engulf.

Christmas is reputed as being a lonely time of year, and if you are like me, you shall have spent many Christmases alone. Shall you be spending this Christmas alone, and if so, do you think you shall feel lonely?

this as been mentioned before. If I was totally alone at xmas I would do some charity work.

Last year a situation occurred that meant I would be alone on Christmas day.

When I confided in someone about the prospect of being far away from everyone and feeling very sad they said '' the definition of madness to partake in a time which is domestically impossible'' So I did not allow myself to dwell, or get too wrapped up in the spirit of it all.

I brought myself a nice dinner, watched the TV and gave the money that would have been spent to charity. Its all over on boxing day anyway.

We do tend to torture ourselves at this time of year, but the person made me realise feeling down wouldn't change anything - just make me depressed.

Ive spent New Years eve by myself. It didn't bother me.

I've been on my own for the last 4 Christmases, since my dad died. The first year I just stayed in bed with a bottle of vodka but in recent years I've done volunteering and stuff and that does kinda help.

I have been alone on Christmas Day 10 or 11 times since my parents passed on. Yes, it is a very lonely time without any family but, on the other hand, it is only one day and is soon over and done with. I grit my teeth and get on with it, but I am always glad when Boxing Day comes.
Many people say to people alone 'oh, you must be lonely at Christmas' but they don't realise that we are lonely other times as well.

I take it in turns to have my boys on Xmas but the last couple I have spent the majority of the day without them, just back at my parents. I always find that hard, it cuts me up when I hear from them down the phone. Its an emotional time of year with an emphasis on togetherness so when you're missing that, of course it can be a difficult time.

This will be my first Christmas TOTALLY alone and am not looking forward to it. But, I do have toys I purchased for myself to play with. :)

I also am planning on going in to WalMart and/or KMart a couple of days before Christmas and paying off some delinquent layaways for random people.

Solitary man said:

I will be alone this xmas and I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm not a holiday person and since this is the first year that I will not have to go through the hassle of gifts I have no problem. Video game marathon, a bottle of vodka and takeout is fine by me.

I try to work Christmas day and all the holidays, if I can, so I don't have a chance to feel lonely

I used to look forward to xmas, for some reason I thought my social life would suddenly take off. It never did so it was always a big disapointment.

Ive got sod all planned this year but not that bothered.

My first Xmas totally alone. Hopefully I'll get to chat with my son on messenger. Used to make a big thing for Xmas when my son was home living with me. The tree,the presents, the desserts, Xmas dinner....This year nothing. Just be glad when its over with.

I am forced to spend christmas with my family. I am probably going to argue with them all night :(

I spend Christmas with my family. Parents and my sister and her family. It is still the hardest time of the year to be lonely. My family don't understand it, and they think I should just smile and pretend that everything is OK. I've tried doing charity work at Christmas, but really, that only made me feel even more lonely and unwanted.

New Years I spend alone, and have done since I was 19. There's no friends, and so no parties to go to. Not even anyone to go and watch fireworks with. I used to be OK with spending NYE alone. No idiots, no drunks and stoners, and so on and so forth. But as I've gotten older, I feel it more and more. That each Xmas and New Year is gone forever, and you can't get them back ...

Your ending another year alone. And starting a new one still alone.

I will be spending Xmas alone in an empty house. I just bawled by eyes out (about something devastating), and the thought of being alone on Xmas just makes everything harder.

Giftmas is the most annoying time of the year. It has lost all its sentiment, because I can buy all the stuff I want. Really, it is only good for time off, and it sucks at that.

I'm an Agnostic but like Christmas. I think one day of the year should be set aside and dedicated to people making an effort to be nice to one another. I like the atmosphere at Xmas, the food, and the good cheer. Of course when you are alone you can only witness other people having a great time, as it's difficulty to throw a Xmas party for one.

As a chronic loner who has spent many Xmas's alone, and no doubt shall spend many more that way, I try to savour the magical melancholy that this time of year provides, but not allow it to degenerate into a state of depression.

I have a cat who is a better person than most people I've known. He'll get a Xmas present and a Xmas dinner, and I'll have one too (not a cat's Xmas dinner), and I shall try to be as happy as I possibly can be as someone who is alone at Xmas.

Christians, Agnostics, Atheists or Pagans: I hope all of you have a great time, and find company in yourselves.

For me weekends are generally when I feel the loneliest as it is the time when most people are out and about.

Although I think any 'special occasion' can lose some of it's appeal when you are on your own - Birthdays would probably top this list.

I don't find Christmas any more lonely but on the upside I love the amazing Christmas lights and decorations displays that you see people put on and around their houses (think Clark Griswold)

Latest posts

Back