Let's Talk about Your Experiences/Opinions/Thoughts about taking Martial Arts

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

I am considering taking up shotokan karate because I want to be able to stand up to people when I know they are wrong. I recently realized I can be intimidated into silence because they've been stronger than me physically.

I don't like that.

What have your experiences been with martial arts? What do you think of martial arts? Have you ever wanted to take martial arts? If so, what sort of martial arts? Why have you wanted to take it or why would you take it if you did?

SophiaGrace said:
I want to be able to stand up to people when I know they are wrong.

NO! Steven Spielberg released Jaws in 1975, NOT 1974 YOU IDIOT. KARATE CHOP! :club:

But seriously, I got nothing. ;)

That is a good thing to take up and will keep you fit and give you confidence in such situations.

I do know that here (UK) legally, you can use such to defend yourself, but can also be in trouble for using it too.

Its a slightly useful method of being more effective in a dangerous situation. Training is important; however, the mentality and willingness to kill, I feel, is the most vital thing in any stressful combative situation.

IgnoredOne said:
Its a slightly useful method of being more effective in a dangerous situation. Training is important; however, the mentality and willingness to kill, I feel, is the most vital thing in any stressful combative situation.

Right, because you should be as willing to kill people as possible throughout everyday life. Don't even worry about manslaughter charges, or whether or not you can actually prove self defense in a court of law. Just always have that on the forefront of youR mind: KILL KILL KILL! I mean killing people is the absolute essence of martial arts, any master will tell you that.

Bob Arctor said:
IgnoredOne said:

Right, because you should be as willing to kill people as possible throughout everyday life. Don't even worry about manslaughter charges, or whether or not you can actually prove self defense in a court of law. Just always have that on the forefront of youR mind: KILL KILL KILL! I mean killing people is the absolute essence of martial arts, any master will tell you that.

Was that sarcasim or just being joking honest?

Funny either way.

JasonM said:
Bob Arctor said:
IgnoredOne said:

Was that sarcasim or just being joking honest?

Funny either way.

Yes it was sarcasm. :p

JasonM said:
NO! Steven Spielberg released Jaws in 1975, NOT 1974 YOU IDIOT. KARATE CHOP! :club:

That is a club, not a karate chop. :)

IgnoredOne said:

Well, when it comes right down to it, if your life is threatened, you will fight whether you have training or not due to basic survival instincts.

So the mentality to kill isn't all that's needed to defend oneself.

Bob Arctor said:
IgnoredOne said:

Willingness versus desire should be clarified as distinct from each other.

Its important to realize that the primary aim in any hostile situation to remove oneself from the threat. Therefore, the first aim is to try to escape, essentially. Flight usually offers the lowest risk, as well as the fewest legal consequences.

However, if flight is not possible, then neutralization of the hostile elements is necessary. It is best not to be too squeamish then on how this neutralization is to be accomplished; furor, indeed, has an useful effect in filling a void that could be instead taken by fear. Ideally, no emotion needs to dominate, and it is best to consider it almost mechanically, and instinctually; this is where the training comes in. Its not realistic to go, "I think that if I strike back now, he could be knocked out and dissuaded, um, um...."; it is much more useful to have a simple direction and the ability to execute going for the throat.

SophiaGrace said:
Well, when it comes right down to it, if your life is threatened, you will fight whether you have training or not due to basic survival instincts.

If only that was true.

It is not. The most common reaction to genuine, actual danger in most people is to simply freeze and shutdown, mentally and physically. Again, this is why training is so important, because it allows us to rewire that faulty reaction.

Source: Over ten years of training in Muay Thai and Shotokan, and recently took up Krav Maga this year.

Confidence is king, know lots of people who have taken it up for the same reason.

What is making you sway towards Karate ? opposed the other martial arts

oh I see, didn't know if it was perhaps more effective than say Taekwondo.

My brother took up that after feeling similar. I think that was more for confidence, with the mind of only having to flatten someone as a last resort.

But agree, if someone is going to attack you, you have a far better chance of defending yourself.

If you make it known as well, people will be more wary to cross you.

IgnoredOne said:
Bob Arctor said:
IgnoredOne said:

Willingness versus desire should be clarified as distinct from each other.

Its important to realize that the primary aim in any hostile situation to remove oneself from the threat. Therefore, the first aim is to try to escape, essentially. Flight usually offers the lowest risk, as well as the fewest legal consequences.

However, if flight is not possible, then neutralization of the hostile elements is necessary. It is best not to be too squeamish then on how this neutralization is to be accomplished; furor, indeed, has an useful effect in filling a void that could be instead taken by fear. Ideally, no emotion needs to dominate, and it is best to consider it almost mechanically, and instinctually; this is where the training comes in. Its not realistic to go, "I think that if I strike back now, he could be knocked out and dissuaded, um, um...."; it is much more useful to have a simple direction and the ability to execute going for the throat.

SophiaGrace said:

If only that was true.

It is not. The most common reaction to genuine, actual danger in most people is to simply freeze and shutdown, mentally and physically. Again, this is why training is so important, because it allows us to rewire that faulty reaction.

Source: Over ten years of training in Muay Thai and Shotokan, and recently took up Krav Maga this year.

Reacting with fight instead of flight when faced with no other alternative is crucial, I agree. I just think (in most first world situations) developing that instinct doesn't have a lot to do with whether or not you would kill someone. I mean just talking about hand to hand combat, if you can get the upper hand and subdue a person or knock them unconscious you'd have to go pretty far to kill them with your hands. What you're talking about seems to apply more to a gun fight, or if you were faced with multiple assailants and you had to kill to live. If you're talking about a fair fight you don't have to be willing to kill the person to defend yourself.

Nah. I wouldn't want people to know. Then they may take it up too and id still be at he disadvantage. Better to keep it secret.

Also many murder victims cause their attackers defensive wounds. They fight back, but still lose.

Upon reflection, there may also those who may see it as a challenge and try to provoke you. Especially the serial bullies who are ruled by ego.

So yes perhaps better to keep it as a secret. I hope you never have to implement it, but the shock of how you defend yourself will be as impacting as the physical.

Just so sad we have to find these measures in the first place to protect ourselves.

I dunno, I'd just get a gun myself. If someone is out to hurt you, there's no reason to go easy on them.

Limlim said:
I dunno, I'd just get a gun myself. If someone is out to hurt you, there's no reason to go easy on them.

Guns can be found and used against you. Your body can't.

monkeysocks said:
Just so sad we have to find these measures in the first place to protect ourselves.

This is the world we live in...

I did kung fu for about half a year. It was fun, I really liked it.

You have to be ready to learn all the forms, do exams, that kind of thing... That's why I quitted. It was allright for a while but I'd like something that is more focused on fighting. We used too much time (30 mins, 1/3 of the class) doing forms.

I'm thinking about learning box next year. Been going to the gym more often so I know for sure I'm gonna be able to endure the class... I went to kickboxing a while ago and I had to quit becasue it was too intense.

I'm not really thinking about self defense at all. I just want to be in the best shape I can and let out some steam. While really learning to fight.

monkeysocks said:

This is the world we live in...

[/quote]

Yes waiting for half our species to evolve. The kind of people whom you seek to protect yourself from haven't.

Latest posts

Back